Modules, modules everywhere...

lobstermash

Propaganda machine
Mentor
I've had my 9x for quite a while now. I used the stock firmware for quite a while, however ran out of slots for new models. The solution? I got a second tx, for my mrs to use (she was doing well learning to fly, but after putting her cub through a tree, or should a say a tree through her cub, decided it was too stressful). Then when I started to get into FPV, I bought a FrSky telemetry module. Before it arrived I flashed both transmitters with ER9x, making the second one obsolete until the FrSky module arrived.

I promptly removed the antenna wire and plugged in the FrSky gear, and that tx officially became the FPV tx. However I only had one plane set up for FPV. A couple of months ago Hobbyking brought out the DSM2/X module, and I thought it'd be perfect for filling a few more slots on the 'FPV tx'. Then about a month ago, the Orange LRS came out, and I thought 'why not give it a try?'

Through some inspiration on RCG, I saw someone had modified their stock 9x module to make the antenna come out the back. So while Clarke and Watson bored me to death eking out a painfully slow partnership in the cricket, I pulled out the soldering iron and drill. Here's the result:

IMG179.jpg IMG180.jpg IMG181.jpg IMG177.jpg IMG183.jpg

Last edited:

lobstermash

Propaganda machine
Mentor
For the observant ones out there, yes the top two photos are from my unmodified 9x. Note the lack of CE sticker, the handle removed, the lack of a protruding knob on top of the tx (to better position the patch antenna), the different tx component of the modules in pictures 2 and 3, and the extra screws in picture 3 :eek:

lobstermash

Propaganda machine
Mentor
Oi, you've got more planes than me... But the 9XR will only happen to supply my customers if I get through all the red tape...

glydr

How many letters do we ge
Ah, you're probably right. Though I've been at this game a little longer.