Monoprice Select Mini 3D (all Versions)

LitterBug

Techno Nut
Infomation related to the MP Select Mini 3D printer (V2 pictured below)
MP217111.jpg

Cheers!
LitterBug

LitterBug

Techno Nut
I picked up a V2 version of this printer on a $150 shipped Cyber Monday deal with the hopes of being able to print with materials my main printer can not handle. I have been really impressed at how well this printer does, right out of the box, without a single adjustment. The only real drawback is the small 120x120x120 print area.

The printer comes with a 256MB SD card (really? who makes them this small these days?) with a demo cat.gcode file, and enough PLA filament to print the demo. After pulling the printer out of the box and doing the recommended paper height test, I loaded up the filament and started the test.
TestPrint.jpg
HappyKitty.jpg
ShotglassKitty.jpg

Afterwards, I printed up a small filament guide which fills in a small gap between the extruder assembly and the boden tube. This keeps soft filaments like TPU from bulging out and missfeeding at the gap. After which, I successfully printed some vibration dampers with Inland TPU. SWEET! My main reason for getting the printer is a success!

Decided to revisit a XYZ Cartridge of Clear Red PLA that I bought for my XYZ printer which failed miserably due to feed issues on that printer. Went around and round with XYZ on that issue and it was never resolved. Loaded it up in this printer and clicked off the Cat.gcode test. SUCCESS!
HappyKitty2.jpg
So obviously the extruder on this printer is much better.

Next, Let's try that spool of Inland PETG that my other printer wouldn't print. My buddy had busted his GoPro protector, so printed one up for him. SUCCESS
GoProProtector.jpg

Right now I have the All In One 3D Printer Test running with Inland PETG, 30% infill, 20mm/sec, and .1mm layer height. Again... PASSING WITH FLYING COLORS!
Benchmark.jpg
From the pictures JimCR posted, I thought this was a really small test, but this picture shows A) how small the print bed is and B) how big the print test is. There is some stringing, but for just guessing at the settings, and being able to clean the strings up afterwards, this is a compete success.

In summary, VERY happy with this purchase.

Cheers!
LitterBug

Last edited:

French

Construire Voler S'écraser Répéter
I’ve had a v1 since the initial release. I love this printer.

Modifications I’ve done to mine (all printed on the printer):
Internal fan mod blowing on the pcb
Z axis stop clip on riser to fit a sheet of glass (cut from Lowe’s)
Vertical cooling fan shroud that fits a larger noctua fan
New bowden base to better feed TPU
Spool holder for direct feed

LitterBug

Techno Nut
Forced to replace bed tape... OOPS!

Well, this one is on me. Started that big 18 hour all in one print test yesterday and didn't really pay attention to the heated bed settings leaving them at the default Simplify3D had in the profile I copied for PETG. Let's just say, cooking PETG for 18 hours permanently fused it to the tape that came on the printer. D'OH. Bad on me. Test completed great, but removal FAIL!
OOPS!.jpg

Had some PEI scraps left over from when I did the bed on my XYZ, so cut two pieces and have it back in action. Would rather have a single contiguous piece, but the seam is on the back 30mm of the bed which should not be too hard to avoid. This PEI tape is slightly thicker than the original tape that came with the printer, so I did a quick paper tug height adjustment and am printing a quick sample print. Will do a more precise first layer adjustment with my calipers later.

Cheers!
LitterBug

LitterBug

Techno Nut
Happy to report back that my experience with PEI on the print bed has been very positive. I had to re-calibrate the bed height to compensate for the difference in thickness. Have printed with PLA, ABS, PETG, and TPU with good adhesion and easy removal. Even the uber-sticky TPU comes off with little effort. Printing straight on the PEI with nothing else. Periodically clean it down with rubbing alcohol to make sure it's free of contaminants.

Cheers!
LitterBug

Last edited:

sprzout

Knower of useless information
Mentor
I've had a V1 for over a year now, and have printed out a BUNCH of different things with it. As mentioned by others, the 120x120x120 print bed does limit it for prints, but I have done a lot of modular items - I made a dice tower for my parents (drop your dice for a board game in the top, the dice flip and roll down the platforms inside to come out at the bottom, essentially randomly rolled for you), motor mounts for my Versa Wing, control horns for various planes, antenna holders for my quadcopter after I broke one off, a new shift knob for my car after the stock one's rubber rotted away...I've done a LOT with it, and a lot of it was practical work, using it to build items that I had a need for! :)

Is it the best 3D printer out there? No. But for the price, it's a GREAT entry level printer, and I've used it for a LOT of different, practical things. :)

LitterBug

Techno Nut
The fan on the hotend is already failing. Examining options....

LB

Last edited:

JimCR120

Got Lobstah?
Site Moderator
Congrats on the cute little printer. I can see how having a 2nd machine could really keep things moving. There are times that I feel like if I'm not printing something I must be wasting time. I did buy a 2nd SD card. I wanted to find a small one thinking gcode isn't all that demanding. The one that came with my CR-10 was 8G. The smallest I could find at Wallyworld was 16G for ~$9.

There's another print test I like better than that rectangular one. It uses much less filament and takes much less time.
image.jpeg