Monster Build Tips

fliteadmin

Administrator
Staff member
Admin

josh-david-400th-episode-jpg_1396472489.jpg

One would assume that because these planes are 200% larger that the build would be 200% harder. Great news. This isn't the case!

Josh and David show how they brought these monster planes to life!

The monsters build exactly like the normal swappables but the name of the game here is structural integrity.

monster-build-tips-3-jpg_1396472176.jpg

On the normal FT Spitfire the power pod provides a great amount of strength for the fuselage.

monster-build-tips-2-jpg_1396472170.jpg

To compensate for the absent power pod on the monster, David built a similar style box to keep the fuselage from buckling in on itself.

monster-build-tips-6-jpg_1396472214.jpg

The motor mount was built from lauan plywood and LOTS of glue. Hot glue to be exact. CA glue didn't quite hold up to the vibrations from the motor and you can see the results below.

monster-build-tips-5-jpg_1396472206.jpg

monster-build-tips-7-jpg_1396472219.jpg

Here are the big fat control horns. The patterns for these are available in the Monster FT Cruiser Plans.

monster-build-tips-8-jpg_1396472229.jpg

The belly is lined with a thin plywood to prevent the rubber bands that hold the wings from digging into the foam.

monster-build-tips-10-jpg_1396472244.jpg

The wings for the Monster FT Cruiser couldn't be removed like David's Spitfire, so Josh decided to use a technique called shear webbing. Usually this is done with wood but here we use foam.

monster-build-tips-11-jpg_1396472251.jpg

He also used a joining spar with a screw to connect the wing to the fuselage.

monster-build-tips-12-jpg_1396472260.jpg

More simply, the long spar coming out of the wing is inserted into a tab in the fuselage. Kind of like big flying Legos!

monster-build-tips-14-jpg_1396472278.jpg

Here is a bottom shot of Josh's motor mount.

monster-build-tips-15-jpg_1396472288.jpg

One amazingly easy and fun addition to any huge plane are bomb bays! All it takes is a box, an extra servo, and a hinge line.

monster-build-tips-17-jpg_1396472303.jpg

To keep the tail rudder strong Josh reinforced the mounts with a thin sheet of plywood.

For more detailed explanations of these techniques check out the episode!

monster-build-tips-18-jpg_1396472314.jpg

The number one rule for monster planes is DON'T BE INTIMIDATED! The build time is more lengthy but the flying is surprisingly more docile and smooth.
Also take these techniques and apply them to any plane that you wish. We would love to see your success with any of our plans or your personal ones!
We thank you again for letting us do projects like this and hope that we have given you the inspiration to try this yourself!

PLANS

Monster FT Cruiser Electronics

• Motor: 2826-04 x2
  • Prop: 13x6.5 APC
  • ESC: Favorite 80A x2
  • Servos: BMS620MG x4
  • Battery: 3S10,000mAH

Monster FT Spitfire Electronics

• Motor: C5065 270 Kv
  • Prop: 20X10 Xoar
  • ESC: Turnigy dlux 80A HV
  • Servos: HK47111DMG x4
  • Battery: 6S5000mAH

What plane would you like to see made into a monster? Let us know!

nerdnic

nerdnic.com
Mentor
In case anyone is interested I have broken each part of the Spitfire into its own PDF to save on paper and to make it easier to printout and piece together!

So in hopes of not having to print out 165 pages, check out the modified plans here

Last edited:

bicyclemonkey

Flying Derp
Mentor
How did David make the cockpit stick move with the control surfaces? I love seeing the old school building techniques Bixler used for the wing joiners. It's nice seeing you guys use more wood!

Last edited:

3DMad5

I Like SBach 342's
I see there's an E-Flite Carbon-Z Cub in the background... I'd love to see a scratch built FliteTest Cub! (monster size, of course:eek:)
Anyway, fantastic episode! It makes me wish I had the space to fly something that big in

Andre

Fly yes... land no.
Admin
This was great fun. My son got really excited about this.
We've been planning on a big bomber since last years YC-14 project.

I have to say I'm a bit concerned about trying to fly a 100" plane around.
I may have to scale back to 7-80" but the removable wings are great.

I usually print out the non-tiled versions of your plans, but in stitching together these plans, you have made a file that requires a print space of 136" by 132". Could the plans be offered up as pages that were each the size of the Dollar Tree foam board? I can print them this way, but it's 12 sheets of 34 by 44 and a large area of wasted paper.

I agree with SteevT: a 200% FT 3D would be so cool! It would be cheap, and if you got enough power in it, could do some amazing stuff.
-Fin

SteevyT

I just realized, I have a big motor because apparently I can't tell the difference between a 370 size motor and a 480 size motor. Think that could drive a giant FT3D?

Foam Addict

Squirrel member
I just realized, I have a big motor because apparently I can't tell the difference between a 370 size motor and a 480 size motor. Think that could drive a giant FT3D?

Maybe a light 150% version. BTW, I built a giant FT-22, and that thing was HEAUGE at "only" 150%. You might be surprised how much better the 150% versions fly compared to the 100%.

KuManChu

I have a lot of the speed build planes from FliteTest and one of my favorites to fly is the Baby Blender. I would really like to see a Bohemoth Blender made by Flitetest. I think it would be awesome to see a giant scale version doing the aerobatic maneuvers that is typical of the bi-planes.

rcspaceflight

creator of virtual planes
I have a lot of the speed build planes from FliteTest and one of my favorites to fly is the Baby Blender. I would really like to see a Bohemoth Blender made by Flitetest. I think it would be awesome to see a giant scale version doing the aerobatic maneuvers that is typical of the bi-planes.

I giant Baby Blender... So the Blender plane? Although, that had a large payload. Can't do acrobats with a blender on board.

nerdnic

nerdnic.com
Mentor
I usually print out the non-tiled versions of your plans, but in stitching together these plans, you have made a file that requires a print space of 136" by 132". Could the plans be offered up as pages that were each the size of the Dollar Tree foam board? I can print them this way, but it's 12 sheets of 34 by 44 and a large area of wasted paper.

I'm in the middle of separating each piece of the Spitfire plans and I'll let you know when I'm done.

EraJomppa

RC Enthusiast
Has anyone built any other big 150+% foamboard planes? I'v searched the forums but I find oddly low number of giant builds?