Monster series builds?

SSV_Rob

Hey guys I’m new here and just recently started building some FT planes and I love it! I just finished doing the master series Corsair scratch build and now I want to scratch build a Monster series plane. So I want to build a monster series Spitfire with flaps and retracts and just wanted to see if any of you have built one or another plane similar to it and can give me any tips as to what size to print them out too and really just anything that can help. Any help is appreciated

Ketchup

4s mini mustang
All I know is that if you are using monster foam, you have to print the plans out at 185% size, because monster foam is 185% the thickness of normal foam.

SSV_Rob

All I know is that if you are using monster foam, you have to print the plans out at 185% size, because monster foam is 185% the thickness of normal foam.
What if inplan on using regular dollar store foam board.. think it will mess with lining things up?

Ketchup

4s mini mustang
What if inplan on using regular dollar store foam board.. think it will mess with lining things up?
You will need to modify the plans a bit and make all of the foam board width channels smaller. Also, you will probably need to change the design a bit to add extra strength.
You could also use 200% plans with doubled up foamboard, but at that point it might be worth just getting monster foam.

Corsair RC

You will need to modify the plans a bit and make all of the foam board width channels smaller. Also, you will probably need to change the design a bit to add extra strength.
You could also use 200% plans with doubled up foamboard, but at that point it might be worth just getting monster foam.
Does flite test sell monster foam?

Ketchup

4s mini mustang
The monster foam was actually made by FT (in partnership with another company), so they should sell it, but I checked the store and it isn't there.
FT was having issues with their maker foam production, so they discontinued it until they can figure stuff out. Since monster foam is basically oversized maker foam, it makes sense that it is gone right now.
Honestly I'm not sure if they will ever bring it back though.

SSV_Rob

Yea that’s what I was planning on doing. I wanted to do a 200% spitfire build so I’m going to be Doubling up the foam boards and making sure everything is reinforced good. As for servos.. what size would be ideal? I honestly have no clue

Ketchup

4s mini mustang
Yea that’s what I was planning on doing. I wanted to do a 200% spitfire build so I’m going to be Doubling up the foam boards and making sure everything is reinforced good. As for servos.. what size would be ideal? I honestly have no clue
I’m not sure about servos either because that would also depend on your power system and weight of the plane, but I do know that you will most likely need a separate BEC for this plane. Also, I would recommend designing in a removable wing. It’s going to be a very large plane and transport will be extremely difficult without one.

SSV_Rob

I’m not sure about servos either because that would also depend on your power system and weight of the plane, but I do know that you will most likely need a separate BEC for this plane. Also, I would recommend designing in a removable wing. It’s going to be a very large plane and transport will be extremely difficult without one.
awesome man thanks for the info.. i got a lot of figuring out to do still haha

Corsair RC

The flite test monster servos should work.

AIRFORGE

Make It Fly!
In one of the FTCA podcasts, they mentioned the thicker, and the standard thickness Maker Foam (made by RL Adams) will slowly be coming back to the Store.
(EDIT: I think they referred to it as Maker Foam V2)
Currently, all the new SkyFX SBK's are made with the standard thickness Maker Foam.

Last edited: