Monster sized Fock-Wulf FW-42

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Cool! I'd love to see the reactions of the old balsa only crew ;-)

That'll be one part "that'll never work" and one part "why would you ever waste your time on it" and one more part "it'll never fly right" - and I couldn't care less cause I hope at least a couple people will be inspired to start something crazy of their own :D

I'm excited to see these annual challenges. I like the fantasy route. Would also love to see "spaceships", Flying animals, fighter jets, and maybe one day a "that will never fly" challenge. A "mashups" contest (parts from different aircraft merged into one) would be fun. Think P-40 fuselage, X-29 wing, a T-tail, and running a big EDF with twin exhaust with the "mouth" as the intake. I suppose that kind of stuff could fit in fantasy... maybe I should keep that one to myself for now ;-)

That would be pretty whacky alright! :p

I think the spirit of the fantasy challenge is pretty much going to be "build anything that flies that has no full scale counterpart" - maybe with some sub-categories to organize the entries and provide for more opportunities for 1st place trophies. Categories like space, military, amphibious, racers, animalistic, civilian, jets, weird, etc.

wilmracer

I build things that fly (sometimes)
Mentor
I think the spirit of the fantasy challenge is pretty much going to be "build anything that flies that has no full scale counterpart" - maybe with some sub-categories to organize the entries and provide for more opportunities for 1st place trophies. Categories like space, military, amphibious, racers, animalistic, civilian, jets, weird, etc.

I like that :)

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
The first fuselage layer being painted into place. Testing covering one side only rather than both. If it works well the rest will go faster.
20180524_162300-1280x720.jpg

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
And here's the second run at main landing gear - uncompressed....
20180610_172253-1280x720.jpg

And fully compressed...
20180610_172249-1280x720.jpg

A matching pair...
20180610_175951-1280x720.jpg

They look good in place... just need to drill some mounting holes through the brackets
20180610_181101-1280x720.jpg

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
I also started the last part of the landing gear puzzle last night with mounting the nose gear. It's not going that far up in the nose actually - I don't want the weight that far forward, nor do I want all the additional force that a forward placed gear would put on the fuselage junction where it slims down. I got everything measured out and glued in the mounting plate with Gorilla Glue. Will come back tonight and start reinforcing the area to hopefully hold up for a couple landings.

20180610_232931-1280x720.jpg

Here's the nose gear sticking out the bottom. There is enough adjustment room to make sure there is a positive angle of attack on the wing when it's on the gear. That's very important or there will not be a happy takeoff.
20180610_232937-1280x720.jpg

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Love that dual wheel set up. Sorry I was so confused about how you wanted to mount them. I was under the impression you were doing fuse mounted retractable style gear. Something like the A7 style.

In any case those shocks should serve well to cushion anything rough as they are meant for ~15 lb + Nitro trucks. Hopefully the oil in them is light enough you don't get a lot of rebound. They seem slow to extend on the truck so should be ok. May wanna try a few bounce tests before the maiden with them fully loaded for flight to see if they sponge up or hop after impact.

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Adding some extra support for the nose gear - long bamboo skewers covered in gorilla glue and shoved deep into the fuselage walls. After the first part dries, I'll glue up some additional foam blocks to support the back side of these skewers and fully trap the mounting plate in place.
20180611_204740-1280x720.jpg

So with a little tape to keep the wings in place, she's sitting on her wheels finally! I think the angle might be a little too much, but the nose gear can be adjusted more later.
20180611_205713-1280x720.jpg

For now I need to stand this part up in the corner so I have room to work on the outer wing sections. It's getting pretty crowded in here...

20180611_205850-720x1280.jpg

Started laying out the wing box for the outer sections. This one is double height so I can cut both the right and left side wing panels out of the same box and have identical spar layouts.
20180611_232718-1280x720.jpg

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
I never ran across the buzzard before... but then again I grew up in the backwoods of backwards Montana and we didn't have a television in the house until I was in high school - and even then it only got 3 channels when we ran an antenna wire a few hundred yards up the side of the canyon :p

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Wow!! You missed out on some of the best parts of life. We needs ta edumacate you and get you up to speed then!

Were you one of those people my grandparents always talked about from back in the day? The ones that walked to school uphill both ways carrying the horse thru the ice and snow with one worn out boot and news paper wrapped on the other foot because they cooked the other boot in the previous nights stew for flavor?

I can not imagine a childhood without Looney Toons. Its bad enough kids were traumatized by shows like Teletubbies and all them other creepy shows since the early 90's that damaged so many young minds.

Its them gov'ment mush brains I tells ya!! o_O:p

We now return you to your regularly scheduled build thread.

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
I do remember seeing Ren and Stimpy when I went off to college... that was enough to traumatize most anyone :p

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
This time I'm trying a little bit different technique with the box - routing a channel for the ribs to sit into. And since it's 28 cuts in all I made up a jig to help measure and keep them straight easier.

20180617_193742-1280x720.jpg

Now only 27 more cuts to go...