rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Thanks!

Top sheet trimmed on the left panel...
20180702_170611-1024x576.jpg

And gluing down the right top panel...
20180702_181249-1024x576.jpg

With carbon fiber tube the left panel weighs in at 20.4oz.

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Me too :D

Next couple steps:
- Figure out how to fill in / shape the leading edges of the two new wing panels
- Peel the rest of the outer covering from the two new wing panels (don't want to have it delaminate later and ruin the finish)
- Trim trailing edges of all wing panels to be straight
- Locate and cut out ailerons - the plan is go longer rather than deeper with the aileron shape
- Aileron hinges (and kicking myself now for not planning hinge mounting blocks earlier)
- Install aileron servo mounts
- Get some weights of all the pieces together to finalize the power system

DamoRC

Elite member
Mentor
So are those the "off cuts" from the original hot wire frame that you are using to hold the sheeting down? Clever!

DamoRC

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
So I glued the servo mounting frame to the top of a square plug of foam temporarily and got the whole thing shaped to drop in through the hole in the wing. Lined up the servo mounting plate on top to make sure it's all aligned the way I want and then drop a line around the plug where it is level with the wing.

20180711_002212-800x450.jpg

Measured down from the line I drew to account for the width of the frame and servo mounting plate. Then cut off the plug at the matching angle to follow the wing shape and permanently glued on the plywood frame to the plug.
20180711_002458-800x450.jpg

Used a coping saw to cut out the center of the plug.
20180711_092852-800x450.jpg

Made a little access hole in the side of the plug to bring in the servo extension wire and slipped the plug and frame down into the wing with a little gorilla glue on the bottom. Avoiding the sides so it doesn't foam over and interfere with the servo mounting plate. When I fiberglass across the top of the wing it will very securely lock the top of the plug/frame in place.
20180711_093827-800x450.jpg

And I added an extra bead of gorilla glue around the inside edge of the plug. It's not going to weaken over time with the servo action now :D
20180711_162350-800x450.jpg

Dry fitting the servo mounting place to the top - all flush and smooth like! :D
20180711_191700-800x450.jpg

Installed servo and then had to carve a little extra off the side of the frame for the servo wire and screws to fit. Should have done this before gluing the frame to the plug, but not a big deal to adjust here.
20180711_211739-800x450.jpg

Applied a little thin CA to toughen up the hole in the mounting frame and servo mounts where the screws go, and then did it all over again for the other side :D
20180711_215826-800x450.jpg

At this point I'm ready to set the outer wing sections to the side until I'm ready to go into fiberglass mode for the whole plane.

I think I need to construct the rudder next, keep thinking about the main wing to fuselage connection/reinforcements, and get ready to rough balance this sucker so I can figure out where the batteries need to live.

Last edited:

Namactual

Elite member
Man that is looking good.(y)

Since you could not make it to FF this year, what are your plans for this build? Are you just going to maiden it at your local field and get video?
Assuming is survives, Are you going to try to keep it intact for next year?

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Man that is looking good.(y)

Thanks! :D

Since you could not make it to FF this year, what are your plans for this build? Are you just going to maiden it at your local field and get video?
Assuming is survives, Are you going to try to keep it intact for next year?

Progress slowed considerably this spring as the "I can't go to FFO2018 and that sucks blues" set in, so I'm trying to split my building time 50/50 between this monster and other projects that I'll be able to fly and enjoy a lot more quickly.

I'm hoping to have it completed and ready for maiden by the end of summer (August timeframe) and maiden it at my clubs' bigger RC field with a few friends to document the results.

As you say "assuming it survives the maiden" I'll spend some more time on the finish painting and details like the electronics package @PsyBorg has been working on over the winter and plan to bring her to Flite Fest Ohio 2019 :D

I've also got two forum challenges I want to run/participate in over the fall this year, as well as a growing pile of kits and restoration projects I want to tackle, which I'm looking at as motivation to get the Monster FW-42 finished so it can leave my shop and get stored somewhere else :D

And I guarantee that my next forum challenge build will NOT be as big as this one. In fact, I don't think I'm going to tackle another build this big until I smash this one into unrepairable bits, or move to a house with a 2 car garage. :unsure:

Namactual

Elite member
Oh, I hear ya on the blues. I am in the same boat.

I am glad to hear you are going to attempt to keep for next year. I would really like to see it in person. Who knows, I might even have my Phantom done by then?:unsure::p

At least this years absentees would not have to fly solo next year.

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Oh, I hear ya on the blues. I am in the same boat.

I am glad to hear you are going to attempt to keep for next year. I would really like to see it in person. Who knows, I might even have my Phantom done by then?:unsure::p

At least this years absentees would not have to fly solo next year.

Bring on the Phantom! There will be quite a few of us sporting 2018 builds at the 2019 FFO :D

I think that's going to be a new tradition too. There were several of us flying 2015 Baby Baron's at the 2016 Flite Fest, and at least one of the 2017 International Racers (@wilmracer 's build of the Caudron C.460) is tearing up the skies already at FFO 2018

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Vertical stabilizer and rudder is shaping up. It's bigger than the wings on a lot of planes I've built :)

Anyway, the hinges are in (but not glued in) and the trailing edge is rough shaped. Need to get out the router and cut the grooves for the mounting tubes next. Once those are glued in place I'll do the shaping on the leading edge and install the servo mounting.

20180723_235531-1024x576.jpg

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Wow! I really missed a ton of progress being offline so long.

I am fairly sure if this does not work as an rc craft it would easily do as a hang glider.

Huuuugggeee.

Soon as I can replace the dead servos I will unfold the ribbon cables and space out the signal lines more and finish my part of this and get it down to you hopefully before you close it all up in glass.

May have to pick your brain on how to export the model settings and get them to you though. Still a cellphone newb and confused with file transfers from desk top to phone. Seems there is some kind of conversion happening between the two with simple things like text files and pictures.

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Maybe I'll just ride it up to Ohio next year :p

Don't feel the need to rush on my account - I'm afraid progress is going to continue to be slow on my end for the next month - especially on the next big steps. We're getting ready to rent out the "in-law suite" part of our house which is causing a whole bunch of downsizing and reorganizing since it was my airplane overflow space :cry:

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
I stole a few moments last night and glued in the connecting spars.

20180726_191352-576x1024.jpg

Then I sanded the leading edge over and drilled the holes for the mounting tubes in the fuselage top. Looks good I think 😎

20180726_191859-1024x576.jpg

Next up is gluing in the mounting tubes and adding the servo mount.

Last edited:

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
You are hard mounting the rudder? Wouldnt that be a target for damage during transport?

I am not sure of your plans over all. I just know I whack the rudders on my planes all the time just moving room to room.

Of course none of mine will be glassed like this one so I have no real comparison of the strength and durability it adds.