Monster sized Fock-Wulf FW-42

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Lots of sanding and an alcohol wipe down... very smooth :D

20181029_222846-1024x576.jpg

And first coat of white. I'm getting a few places where the weave is showing on this coat, which is odd cause it didn't have that problem on the primer coat.
20181029_223202-1024x576.jpg

wilmracer

I build things that fly (sometimes)
Mentor
Great work rocky!!

Quick question why do you wipe it down with alcohol?

alcohol is great to remove films/oils and dirt left behind from your hands and it evaporates cleanly. Think of it this way... when you clean glass with just water you can leave smears, smudges, and films behind. In this case you'd then be laying another coat of paint on top of that crud. You want the surface as clean as possible to get the best finish possible.

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
alcohol is great to remove films/oils and dirt left behind from your hands and it evaporates cleanly. Think of it this way... when you clean glass with just water you can leave smears, smudges, and films behind. In this case you'd then be laying another coat of paint on top of that crud. You want the surface as clean as possible to get the best finish possible.

It's also like a tack cloth to get the rest of the dust off that vacuuming doesn't pull up, but without paying what I think are silly prices for tack cloth. It's less than a dollar for a bottle of isopropoyl alcohol that will last dozens of projects, but they want about a buck a piece for single use tack cloth at the hardware store.

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
1/2" masking tape - first stuck to my t-shirt to reduce the stickiness - then lightly pressed onto the bottom of the wing. Next each tape was given a quick once over with a Krylon clear matte sealer for better edges when it peels up...
20181101_145208-1024x576.jpg

Sprayed one coat of Ironlak Sugar Strawberry Red and gently peeled the tape back on itself at a sharp angle to pull it off. Looks great from a foot or two away - just like the canard! :D

20181101_162824-1024x576.jpg

Just two little spots at the elevon where some of the white undercoat pulled up, and I can fix that with a little brush. A couple of the lines had a little bleed, but you do need to really hunt around to see it. Overall, it's a success! :D

Last edited:

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Catching up on a couple nights here...

Final sanding and coat of white on the hatches...

20181103_204254-1024x576.jpg

Left wing panel has some white touch ups drying, and the center section has spackle drying on some rough spots near the nacelles.

20181103_204241-576x1024.jpg

And it's time to pull out the fuselage for sanding next...
20181103_204259-1024x576.jpg

But I also got started on the cowlings which is an entirely new process for me. Started with gluing together a block of foam...
20181101_222748-1024x576.jpg

After rough shaping the foam to the nacelle shape I glued it onto an acrylic scrap.
20181102_141426-576x1024.jpg

Then I spackled up the foam plug to cover up some holes and rough spots...
20181102_222145-1024x576.jpg

And tonight I sanded the plug into it's final shape (will probably do this on the plane next time for a better fit) and then used WBPU to put a layer of 3/4 ounce fiberglass over the top to create a hard shell.
20181103_204249-1024x576.jpg

Once that dries it'll get a final sanding, then coat with mold release and create a plaster mold of the plug.

Last edited:

PoorManRC

Master member
I caught this very late......
But WOW!!! THIS is Miles from a FT!!!
This is like Master's Degree work, where I'm at the Undergrad level. o_O:eek:

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
I caught this very late......
But WOW!!! THIS is Miles from a FT!!!
This is like Master's Degree work, where I'm at the Undergrad level. o_O:eek:

Thanks for the kind words, but I'm still working on my bachelor's degree with this beastie. It's my first time with a lot of these techniques, and I've got a ways to go to master them.

But I learned almost all of this from the online RC community, including my very first Flite Test Tiny Trainer about 3 1/2 years ago :D Check out @willsonman @wilmracer @Mid7night @localfiend etc. etc. etc. for the Master's level work, and John Morgan over on the other RC forum for the doctoral level stuff :D

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
I bet that there might a TT inspired path to this build somewhere:whistle:.

Are you going with Stars on the Fuselage to go with the stripes?

Have fun!

No stars on this one - she's definitely an Axis bird. Somewhere back in this thread (or the mini fw42) i had the historical info on the color scheme. I'll dig it out tomorrow unless someone beats me to it :)

PoorManRC

Master member
Thanks for the kind words, but I'm still working on my bachelor's degree with this beastie. It's my first time with a lot of these techniques, and I've got a ways to go to master them.

But I learned almost all of this from the online RC community, including my very first Flite Test Tiny Trainer about 3 1/2 years ago :D Check out @willsonman @wilmracer @Mid7night @localfiend etc. etc. etc. for the Master's level work, and John Morgan over on the other RC forum for the doctoral level stuff :D

I've seen @Mid7night projects... Especially that GORGEOUS F-16 of his!
I'm being realistic (NOT easy for an Air Jock!!!), and I'm going to keep Aircraft weight under 2.5lbs for quite a while. I REFUSE to believe that so many of the Birds we build, that I'm going to build are just going to be STUFFED into the Ground!!!

I just don't want to. Of COURSE I'll have a few BAD landings, and when I get to the point where I can build a big, Detailed Plane, there's always a chance that I'll stuff that one as well....
I know enough about Aircraft, to know that ONE weird Thermal in the wrong spot, will get the Best of Pilots into a bind!!

However, if I listened to a couple of the guys on My Post...... You'd think that EVERY Flight is going to bend something!!

Anyway, how long do you think it will be, till your Big Beauty will take to the Air??

wilmracer

I build things that fly (sometimes)
Mentor
LOVE it! I can't remember the specifics of the history on that livery but I think you did your homework last time. Either way I really like it and those stripes will look great and make it easy to keep orientation (not that she will be hard to see at this size!)

I know we've had a lot of rain lately and I saw John's pictures of the puddle that is Poplar Ford from last week... You thinking you'll maiden her at Lorton? I definitely want to be in attendance for this one!