Monster sized Fock-Wulf FW-42

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Thanks for the kind words guys :)

For the paint design, what I'm shooting for is the coloring of Jagdverband 44 commanded by General Galland - knicknamed "Galland's Circus" for both the bold color scheme on the bottom of the aircraft, and that the unit was created near the end of the war and took the early ME 262 jet fighters into the front lines to prove their effectiveness. Most of the images of planes from that unit are FW 190's like the one below

FW-190-D9-Rote13.jpg

I haven't read the books about the unit, but from the various summaries I've seen the coloring on the bottom is pure bravado - claiming they are so fast the ground troops won't be able to mess with them and the air support can't catch them so troops below need to be very afraid. The upper camouflage pattern used in the unit was the late war alpine forest coloring that included some more greenish gray colors in the images I've found, but in the spirit of "this is a fantasy design never taken to war anyway" I've decided that the FW-42 experimental medium bomber was deployed to this unit in the alpine winter camo pattern instead cause I like it more :p)

As far as a maiden flight, anyone looking back over this thread can see I've easily made a dozen predictions and missed every one of them so far :sneaky: At my current rate of progress and expected family activities coming up, she might be ready in December. Weather is going to start impacting my build progress in a bit as I will need to take her outside of my shop for a full assembly and balancing to get the battery location worked out.

But the maiden flight will be at the Lorton NVRC field - I don't want those pesky Poplar Ford Field tree lines messing with my landing mojo. :cool: My goal is to get at least two flights out of her. One maiden flight at my home field, and at least one flight at FliteFest Ohio 2019 - after that I hope to keep her flying for many years, but if she goes in it will at least free up a lot of storage space in my workshop :ROFLMAO:

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
More stripes!
20181105_214451-1024x576.jpg

I also finished sanding the fuselage so it'll be ready for a white coat tomorrow. Unfortunately I'm down to about a 1/4 can of white left and need another one to be delivered to finish up the paint job. I'm only using Ironlak Sugar paints for the final coats on this, and it's not available locally. :(

Last edited:

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
LOVE it! I can't remember the specifics of the history on that livery but I think you did your homework last time. Either way I really like it and those stripes will look great and make it easy to keep orientation (not that she will be hard to see at this size!)

I know we've had a lot of rain lately and I saw John's pictures of the puddle that is Poplar Ford from last week... You thinking you'll maiden her at Lorton? I definitely want to be in attendance for this one!

With the size of this and it being set up with minimal roll and light on other control surfaces I would think if he sees anything but stripes its already too late.

Either way it is one of the more contrasty and interesting schemes I have ever seen.

Hardest part of the FFO flight will be to keep Stefan from licking it. :devilish::ROFLMAO:

Of course I am kidding. Just poking at Stefan to see if he is paying attention.

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
@Hai-Lee found a much better reference on the Galland's Circus red bottom paint job than I had previously seen! (y)

Airfield Protection Flight of JV 44 appears in literature and references under several different designations - Platzschutzschwarm, Sachsenbergschwarm, Würgerstaffel or Papagei Staffel (Parrot Squadron). In the interest of historical accuracy, the first of these is most accurate. The striking coloring of the bottom of the aircraft composed of a red surface with white stripes, was to allow the German anti-aircraft units to identify them as friendlies. This rather pragmatic approach to the problem ensured that JV 44 Doras were the most striking of all, and assured them an unequaled popularity among aviation fans.

Thank you @Hai-Lee! :D:D

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
The fuselage is white now. Not the smoothest surface in all spots but the can of paint is almost empty after two coats and it passes a three foot test nicely so I'll leave it for now.

20181110_145814-1024x576.jpg

And the control horn is recessed and servo is installed and adjusted for the rudder.
20181110_214325-1024x576.jpg

Also had to do a little more spackle and sanding on the nacelle plug, which is now covered with one final coat of spray WBPU to seal it. I do believe it will be time to do my very first plaster molding soon :D

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Gettin close Jon. You all excited or dreading the maiden?

Looks great now its all smooth n one color. Will only get better from here mate.

PoorManRC

Master member
IMPRESSIVE Jon!!! WHEN I get more experience, I'm going to try something like that.

...... MIGHT even start with carved Blue Foam Turtle Decks, instead of Paper. I've got a Hot Wire Foam Cutter, may as well use it, right?

I've been looking at your Builds, and of others here....
I REALLY feel like a N00B now!!! :p But it sure is inspiring.

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Gettin close Jon. You all excited or dreading the maiden?

Looks great now its all smooth n one color. Will only get better from here mate.
Thanks! I'm getting excited and a touch impatient. Really want to start a new project and can't do that with this behemoth taking up the shop.

IMPRESSIVE Jon!!! WHEN I get more experience, I'm going to try something like that.

...... MIGHT even start with carved Blue Foam Turtle Decks, instead of Paper. I've got a Hot Wire Foam Cutter, may as well use it, right?

I've been looking at your Builds, and of others here....
I REALLY feel like a N00B now!!! :p But it sure is inspiring.

Absolutely start with some foam turtle decks - complex curved shapes are much easier to get with carved and hot wire foam instead of flat foam board anyway!

The white on the fuse dried so I masked it off and did a lite clear spray to seal the edges. Back later tonight to spray the final red on the project :D
20181111_195935-1024x576.jpg

Last edited:

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Dont get that too close to a heater. Itll warp and Stefan would surely think it was a candy cane.

Those stripes are growing on me now after seeing parts all painted up.

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Putting on the wheelz... I also did an install of the nose wheel, but I think it's still too high up and will need adjusting.

20181112_173257-1024x576.jpg

And she's on her feet again! Or as much of her as will assemble in the shop. Raining outside, so no dual wing install for a couple days.
20181112_183010-1024x576.jpg

Here ya go @PsyBorg - as much of a belly shot as I can manage at the moment :D
20181112_183023-1024x576.jpg

And with the skinned prototype sitting on top. Using it as a guide to pencil in the top gray camo pattern.
20181112_185324-1024x576.jpg

The next few bits on the "make it pretty" To Do List are...
- Draw and mask off gray camo pattern
- Make balsa plates for the wing joints (should have done this sooner...)
- Paint gray camo pattern
- Mask and paint front windows
- Design 3D printed screw hole plug/covers
- Print screw hole plug/covers
- Install 3D printed screw hold plug/covers
- White touch-up paint spots
- Make 2 nacelle top hatches and install "semi-permanently" (after motors & ESC's are mounted and tested but before cowlings)
- Create nacelle plaster mold
- Create fiberglass nacelle cowling x2
- Trim and mount nacelle cowlings (after motors are mounted)
- Paint nacelle cowlings
- Design vinyl stencils and stickers
- Paint crosses and markings (using stencil)
- Apply other vinyl decals

And the stuff on the "make it fly" To Do List....
- Install elevon control horns and servos
- Solder up capacitor banks
- Install ESCs and capacitor banks
- Install motors
- Solder up power leads
- Install nose gear servo
- Install canard servo extensions
- Install receiver
- Program transmitter
- Figure out balance harness and where in the back yard to hang it.... :unsure:
- Balance w/ the batteries
- Build battery tray
- Do the magic funky chicken dance to ensure good maiden flight :D

So yeah, I'm thinking maiden flight in January... after showing it off at the club meeting so a few people can see it in case she doesn't survive the first flight :p

Last edited:

PoorManRC

Master member
I'm running out of words here....
Doing Warbirds is one thing - but you're building what is practically an Axis PROTOTYPE!!!
Messerschmitt and Heinkel had some mind blowing concepts in the mid 30's to the mid 40's. I've been a student of Aviation History and Trivial Factoids for most of my life.

Still.... I NEVER knew that Germany had a Canard equipped Aircraft, even in development, during the War!! This is what I like best about learning, it never ends! :rolleyes::LOL:

To this day though, I STILL don't know which one actually fired the World's First Jet Engine.... Johannes or Whittle.
Whittle Designed the first pure Turbojet, in 1927, but Johannes and Ernst Heinkel were the first to get one in the Air, in early 1939!!! :eek:

It still blows my Bloody Mind, that an invention of such Historical significance, could be delayed, shelved, misappropriatiated and in Frank Whittle's case, Ridicule and Deceit.

wilmracer

I build things that fly (sometimes)
Mentor
Funny how long those punch lists get with big models. Just keep grinding and you'll have her ready on no time! When you're ready to do the CG you're welcome to haul her over to my place and we can use the Vanessa rig so you don't have to wait on the weather to cooperate. I'd love to get a sneak peak too ;-) You just can't tell anyone how messy I am :oops:

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Thanks for the encouragement guys!

I have found I really enjoy digging into the history side of these projects, especially the unusual aircraft where people were trying new ideas. For anyone new joining this project thread, here's a couple links to historical info on the FW-42

http://www.luft46.com/fw/fw42.html
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Focke-Wulf_Fw_42

Carl - I think I'll take you up on that offer for the Vanessa rig - and specifically a shop wide enough to hang the FW-42 in :D

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
So I don't lose this later, here's the center of gravity calculations

Shooting for middle of the road 10% static margin a reasonable and stable starting CG for the maiden flight.

BAP Canard CG 10 Calc.png