More Flite Test Electrohub Trouble - Flip 1.5 Board

RichB

If you are 100% sure that you have the ESC signal wires plugged into the correct ports, then the maybe the flight controller is mounted wrong

havnmonkey

It looks like your midpoints are off too far. Take off the props and enable the ESC's. Arm the copter and push the the throttle up until the motors spin... Now watch the four motor levels in the gui, I suspect two of them will spin up higher by themselves and continue to accelerate without you touching the throttle.

Mine did that until I correctly trimmed my TX, if you cannot edit your transmitters subtrim you'll have to edit in the gui itself.

It looks like your midpoints are off too far. Take off the props and enable the ESC's. Arm the copter and push the the throttle up until the motors spin... Now watch the four motor levels in the gui, I suspect two of them will spin up higher by themselves and continue to accelerate without you touching the throttle.

Mine did that until I correctly trimmed my TX, if you cannot edit your transmitters subtrim you'll have to edit in the gui itself.

Here it is -
Throttel UP Armed.png

Also here is a picture of my radio
14017-MLB3089738123_082012-F (3).jpg

makattack
Anyway, Tphilips96, you can use the trim switches instead just to check... if you don't have arming issues, great! Otherwise, you might need to set MIDRC... also, make sure those trim switches are in the middle... there's a chance you moved them just so you can arm it... but that'll cause you the mid-point problems.

So what's next? Do I change the MIDRC and how is that done and to what values?
Thanks

makattack

Winter is coming
Mentor
You'll have to edit the config.h file in the Arduino IDE and reflash the firmware. Before doing that, you might want to check to see if in fact your trim switches are centered. I'm not familiar with that TX, but on most with digital trim switches (which is what that looks like), you need to push them up / down until you hear a unique tone that's not going up nor down in pitch.

The link I sent earlier has details on MIDRC, and based on your pictures, I would probably set it to 1483 or so... whatever value works to get that UI display to show 1500 on roll, pitch, yaw with neutral sticks.

You'll have to edit the config.h file in the Arduino IDE and reflash the firmware. Before doing that, you might want to check to see if in fact your trim switches are centered. I'm not familiar with that TX, but on most with digital trim switches (which is what that looks like), you need to push them up / down until you hear a unique tone that's not going up nor down in pitch.

The link I sent earlier has details on MIDRC, and based on your pictures, I would probably set it to 1483 or so... whatever value works to get that UI display to show 1500 on roll, pitch, yaw with neutral sticks.

Oh, yes the trim on my TX are set to the center.

And how do you know if your throttle stick is exactly neutral? Flying Mode 2, that stick does not pop back to center like the other ones. Also the MIDRC would change all of the motor speed or just one because on the GUI picture below one of the motors is lagging about 100RPM's behind?

Throttel UP Armed.png

makattack

Winter is coming
Mentor
Doing a static, full throttle test with no props on will give you different results depending on how you've placed your quad. If you look at your roll and pitch indicators, they aren't fully level, so the board will try to compensate by giving different thrust... in this case, it almost looks like it's trying to yaw. I don't know, but I don't think that's a very good test.

The MIDRC wouldn't affect throttle, or at least make any difference. It only makes a difference for the roll, pitch and yaw channels because the flight controller has to know what "neutral" is -- or middle for those channels. If it sees anything other than 1500, it thinks you're trying to input roll, pitch, yaw, or all of the above... which is actually what I think that graphic shows. Not only is the quad not level, but you're sending command input of about 1485 to roll, pitch, and yaw... so that would kind of explain why those motors are being commanded with different levels.

A quick test might be to use those trim buttons to try to get your midrc points to 1500, then see if it does the same thing in the gui when you throttle up.

Doing a static, full throttle test with no props on will give you different results depending on how you've placed your quad. If you look at your roll and pitch indicators, they aren't fully level, so the board will try to compensate by giving different thrust... in this case, it almost looks like it's trying to yaw. I don't know, but I don't think that's a very good test.

The MIDRC wouldn't affect throttle, or at least make any difference. It only makes a difference for the roll, pitch and yaw channels because the flight controller has to know what "neutral" is -- or middle for those channels. If it sees anything other than 1500, it thinks you're trying to input roll, pitch, yaw, or all of the above... which is actually what I think that graphic shows. Not only is the quad not level, but you're sending command input of about 1485 to roll, pitch, and yaw... so that would kind of explain why those motors are being commanded with different levels.

A quick test might be to use those trim buttons to try to get your midrc points to 1500, then see if it does the same thing in the gui when you throttle up.

Ok thanks, I will definitely set my MIDRC to 1500 as soon as possible.

So I finally found some time to work on my quad and I did as makattack recommended
Your roll, pitch, and yaw midpoints are VERY far off the 1500 midpoint. I think you'll need to adjust MIDRC in your config.h if you can't adjust your TX subtrims:

http://www.multiwii.com/wiki/index.p..._configuration

Assuming your TX trims are already in the middle/centered, then the right value might be 1484 or so...

- And judging from MultiWiiconf every thing looks to be solved. I guess I will see how it fairs tomorrow when I maiden it!
Screenshot (8).png

Thanks For everyone's help!:D

Last edited:
So I just maiden my quad and the problem persisted. 😣 So as a test, and since I used bullets for my motor connections I decided to move the motor that seems to be weaker, and to my surprise the quadcopter flipped to the side I moved the weaker motor to.

- So I was just wondering if midpoints are the problem or not? Or is it a isolated problem with the motor.

Also I have double checked and triple checked everything from where the escs are plugged into the Flip 1.5, making sure all of my trim is set to center on my TX, changing the MIDRC, and even making sure the props are on right.

- So what should I do now?

makattack

Winter is coming
Mentor
Is the motor you moved spinning in the correct direction? You didn't mention double checking motor direction.

Does the motor itself spin freely?

Even with a weak motor, I would think the flight controller could compensate unless the motor doesn't spin at all.

Last edited:
Is the motor you moved spinning in the correct direction? You didn't mention double checking motor direction.

Does the motor itself spin freely?

Even with a weak motor, I would think the flight controller could compensate unless the motor doesn't spin at all.

1. Yes, the motor is spinning in the correct direction

2. What do you mean by freely (yes it moves without TX input)

3. Yes the motor spins, really could not tell that one motor is slower by just looking at it, even at full throttle.

- So I am going to do some more tests in MultiWiiCon, is there anything I should test specifically?
Also if anyone has any ideas just write away.

makattack

Winter is coming
Mentor
I would do the test where you remove props, run up throttle to about half, and dip each arm down, bring to level and repeat a few times. It should speed up that motor that is lowest the most. Verify that on the gui.

Hi Know its been a while but I caught In school. Anyways I am still having the same issue.

Quote Originally Posted by makattack View Post
I would do the test where you remove props, run up throttle to about half, and dip each arm down, bring to level and repeat a few times. It should speed up that motor that is lowest the most. Verify that on the gui.

Here are the test screenshots -
This is Half Throttle with none of the arms down:
All arms down Half Trottel.PNG

This is Half Throttle with the Front Right arm down:
Right Arm down.PNG

This is Half Throttle with the Front Left arm down:
Left Arm Down.PNG

This is Half Throttle with the Back Right arm down:
Right Back Down.PNG

This is Half Throttle with the Back Left arm down:
Left back Arm Down.PNG

Any thoughts??

makattack

Winter is coming
Mentor
Welcome back and hope you're enjoying your Summer break!

So, the first screenshot is the most interesting. I'm assuming that all the sticks are neutral, with the throttle at 50%. If that's the case, it's clear that your midpoints are all wrong. They should read 1500 when all sticks are neutral -- including throttle at 50%.

One of the most important RC configuration setup with your TX/RX and multiwii/baseflight/cleanflight is to get your endpoints to 1000 minimum, 2000 maximum, and 1500 at midpoint.

Until that happens you won't be able to fly or if you will, it'll not fly well.

I looked through the old posts. I thought you had sorted out the MIDRC issue... I guess not or the trim switches got bumped / aren't neutral?

Another thing... the motors don't seem to behave as I would expect. Have you tried erasing the EEPROM and reflashing the software?

Last edited:

makattack

Winter is coming
Mentor
After erasing the eeprom, yes, you will need to reflash the multiwii software with your setup/configuration. Not sure what you mean by the line of code. Which line of code?