More Helicopters :)

Jnr Kuzi

Any flitetest Nut like me Has Obviously seen the "Avatar Gunship" project.
We Loved it. But then after it crashed, you Guys have never spoken about it again.
if you guys arent interested in Heli's anymore, the least you can do for us your Fans is show us how you Built it. Its up to us to Get it to fly.

stay-fun

Helicopter addict
Yeah it would be nice to have plans for that, and a little tutorial about how to set up the electronics!

Other than that, I'm in favor of more helicopters (and I mean single rotor with tail rotor) in the show! I was just going to make a little topic for that :)

Jnr Kuzi

Nice idea

Yeah it would be nice to have plans for that, and a little tutorial about how to set up the electronics!

Other than that, I'm in favor of more helicopters (and I mean single rotor with tail rotor) in the show! I was just going to make a little topic for that :)

Cant wait for your Tutorial, i Started flying on a Helicopter & i love them.
I have been a follower of mr loukas for over 6months now, he builds amazing Gas Helicopters but they seem expensive he always destroys Chainsaws & Grass cutters..
I would like to learn how to Build electric ones, just to see How cheap & effecient the hobby will get.
I Hope they (flitetest) see & consider this.

Jnr Kuzi

snowrocker, thanks for the suggestion.. But following instructions can be tricky, so we need them to make a video.

rcspaceflight

creator of virtual planes
I agree on more Helis. I plan on buying a micro 3D heli soon. It's strange, I have absolutely no interest in multirotors, but helis seem fun.

Although I'm weary about buying a cheap heli. Helis get expensive quickly and I probably shouldn't start an addiction I can't afford. :p

stay-fun

Helicopter addict
I agree on more Helis. I plan on buying a micro 3D heli soon. It's strange, I have absolutely no interest in multirotors, but helis seem fun.

Although I'm weary about buying a cheap heli. Helis get expensive quickly and I probably shouldn't start an addiction I can't afford. :p

If you need any help on deciding which one, just let me know (or start a thread :p)

Crash_Expert

Aerial Photographer
I happened to be looking at Hobby King and saw this one. $80 for an RTF certainly makes me want to try it.

No.
Never buy cheap in the world of helis.
I have a 450 3D which is on the lower end, but the quality is definitely there.
HobbyKing in the heli field is utter crap.

The best 3D micro is hands down the mCPx BL.
Amazing heli.

Stay away from HobbyKing.
Helis are expensive.
There's no avoiding it.

C_E

Crash_Expert

Aerial Photographer
And I completely agree that FliteTest needs more helicopters.

There's 3 aspects to RC Flight:
Planes
Helis
Multirotors

So why are we only getting 2 out the the 3 covered?
Helis are a huge industry too.

C_E

SnowRocker88

Amateur pilot and builder
And I completely agree that FliteTest needs more helicopters.

There's 3 aspects to RC Flight:
Planes
Helis
Multirotors

So why are we only getting 2 out the the 3 covered?
Helis are a huge industry too.

C_E

I would suspect because Foam Core doesn't lend itself to heli's as much as it does fixed wing. But, the quads aren't really foam-core based either so IDK. It's probably just that helis are pretty much the most advanced area of the RC world and FT is more focused on getting some Novice pilots in the air for cheap.

stay-fun

Helicopter addict
I agree C_E. Blade is the brand for micros. If you want something larger, the quality is lower though (I've owned a 130x... lots of maintenance), the Blade 300 and 450 also require a lot of upgrades I hear from forums. I'd recommend an Align, Compass or Gaui in that size. I don't know about Blade's bigger helis though.

More helis, yeah! :applause:
SnowRocker: there are enough beginners out there that want a regular helicopter! 4.5 years ago I was one of them :rolleyes:. And yes helicopter are being regarded as 'hard' compared to planes, but, flying wise they're not that different from mulitrotors (at least in the beginning). It's just that they're less forgiving when it comes to crashing (although the Blade micros can handle quite a beating), and the mechanics are quite a bit more complex.

Last edited:

SnowRocker88

Amateur pilot and builder
Yes helicopter are being regarded as 'hard' compared to planes, but, flying wise they're not that different from mulitrotors (at least in the beginning). It's just that they're less forgiving when it comes to crashing (although the Blade micros can handle quite a beating), and the mechanics are quite a bit more complex.

Right. And more dangerous when things go wrong. Very similar to the Quad in this way but wit a BIGGER Blade-O-Death spinning towards you.

bstanley72

I believe the only one who has really any heli experience is JB, and by his own admission really isn't very good, or very experienced. They did a heli episode ages ago but brought in an experienced pilot. If I remember correctly the episode ending up being about how crappy HK helis are:)

stay-fun

Helicopter addict
Yeah I remember that episode! I think it was a combination of how bad HK helis are, and the fact that it was friggin' cold - which makes plastic components pretty brittle.

There are a few more episodes though, but I don't have time to look them up and plug them right now. They're all pretty old.

Crash_Expert

Aerial Photographer
Blade micros are the best hands down, and some require some upgrades.

But as for the bigger Blade helis, I can vouch for their quality.
I've flown a 700x and was amazed at how locked in it felt and the quality of all the components was second to none.

Anyways, FT, if you're reading this,
WE WANT MORE HELICOPTERS.

XD

C_E

Jnr Kuzi

The Guys Call them Selves "FliteTest" So its Only right that they Do all aircraft otherwise theys should call themselves "Planes & multirotor test" they have Generalized there Show title. So they should also generalize there Reviews & Builds.
#JustSaying