More Info On Go-Cart Idea For Flite Test

CatholicFlyer

This was amazing to receive a reply from Stefan, "

Stefan replied

Jul 30, 11:48am​

Hey AJ!

Thanks for the awesome idea! Ill shoot it to the crew and see their thoughts!

Blessings,
Stefan

Ordo Militaris Radio sent a message

Jul 13, 1:19pm​

Hey, been watching your videos and there is something I was wondering when my friends back in grade school told me of their experience in a two seater go-cart, to keep it from flipping over nose to rear, they pulled up on the steering wheel and steering rod and it flatten out to keep it from flipping. From how that happened, I was wondering if a go-cart could fly and this was what I had in mind:

First, set it up to fly by RC controlled with the usual controls, but then I was thinking, be able to set up the controller where the steering wheel goes, have that as the main controls, make a rideable RC flying machine. But the main thing is to see if it is possible, then once if it is possible, make it safe enough to ride in while flying it with onboard controls. I was thinking to keep it gas powered, but however you guys develop it with the prop engines. If it needs to be, setup oxygen breathing system for the pilot and rider, with their helmet and radio system to communicate together and those on the ground.

This is what I had in mind and wanted to share it and see what you all thought.
Sent from Mail for Windows 10
"

Now, more information on the go-cart, the frame was as big or just a few feet large long and width of the Giant Racing Quad, the front had a point on it, there was a bench seat for two people, a steering wheel, gas and break pedal, the engine was a Briggs and Stratton engine with a pull start, it was chain drive. The most interesting thing was, when my friends took it off the side of the road, they pulled up on the steering wheel and column and it straightened out and floated down, instead of a nose dive.

It held two people and was light enough for three to four people to pick up and carry to unload. It was basically a frame that was drivable.

When you think of this project, think of those darn near life size RC Planes. I would think the wings would fasten to the sides of the cart; frame is metal. I'm not sure if you can make a Briggs and Stratton into a Prop Drive engine. Then to add onto the rear for rudder and elevators. It will need nose weight, either put the engine up front some how or the battery. It has four wheels on it, but if you wanted to, could make it a three wheel vehicle. I was thinking if there was a way to put a cover on it like normal airplanes, so you could fly it in other weather.

You guys got in those old World War Two Ejection Seat Parachutes, that would work great for safety. But as I said in my email, first make it RC and keep testing it until it is safe enough to ride in and fly in.

@flitetest @fliteadmin

sprzout

Knower of useless information
Mentor
This would be a legal nightmare to try and build. Once you add the possibility of a pilot with a human life involved in the vehicle, you're no longer looking at an unmanned aerial vehicle. This would then be considered an "experimental" aircraft, which would fall under airworthiness approvals, certifications, etc. In addition, adding pretty much any human body would put the weight up over the 55 lb. weight limit for an unmanned aerial vehicle.

I'd honestly rather take my chances with a paramotor or an ultralight, and not have it radio controlled...

CatholicFlyer

So true, good point, it is about the size that super racing quad, super big, but super light, just doing the RC would be good enough.

CatholicFlyer

This would be a legal nightmare to try and build. Once you add the possibility of a pilot with a human life involved in the vehicle, you're no longer looking at an unmanned aerial vehicle. This would then be considered an "experimental" aircraft, which would fall under airworthiness approvals, certifications, etc. In addition, adding pretty much any human body would put the weight up over the 55 lb. weight limit for an unmanned aerial vehicle.

I'd honestly rather take my chances with a paramotor or an ultralight, and not have it radio controlled...

yeah, I am just curious because it floated/glided down with no wings, why and how, plus it did this with no wings, what would it do with wings, fly? that is why I asked and figured it might be safer to do it all RC controlled than piloted, but then I got crazy in thinking, "oh what a way to enter flite fest, fly in on this crazy build." So that is why I put riding in it if it is safe enough to do.