More practice, eventually I'll make this quadcopter flying look smooth!! :)

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Your doing great kiddo. You are doing straight flights, good altitude manipulation and good reactions on not perfect maneuvers. You are not flying reactive now so you are ready for the next steps.

I think part of what you think is poor skill is a combination of tune and rates. Grab us some screenies of your pids and rates and we can post some tweaks to try that may help get you to that next level.

CarolineTyler

Legendary member
Your doing great kiddo. You are doing straight flights, good altitude manipulation and good reactions on not perfect maneuvers. You are not flying reactive now so you are ready for the next steps.

I think part of what you think is poor skill is a combination of tune and rates. Grab us some screenies of your pids and rates and we can post some tweaks to try that may help get you to that next level.
Will do - but definitely a need for regular practice. Hoping the lighter evenings will allow me to get in some more hours at the sticks!

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Stick time is always a good thing but there is a peak for improvement if the gear cant do what you ask it.

Think about it like this... how precice will you be trained driving a go cart with loose steering mechanism vs driving a porche with a precission rack n pinion system.

Unlearning things is much harder then learning from the beginning.

Sometimes wish I was closer to people so I could just hand them a different setup to let them feel what I try to explain.

It really is a lightbulb moment when you feel that point where the quad does exactly as you want and not just close enough you cant discern if its skill or gear.

CarolineTyler

Legendary member
I have three main quads at the moment, pictured below, the frames are (left to right) ZMR250, TWE210, and the FlyWoo Ant. I build them from parts, so you can't just go off and buy them off the shelf.
IMG_20190502_065318927.jpg
I've been flying model planes for around a year and quads FPV around five months.
Details of the bits I used are below...
1556776937372.png

CarolineTyler

Legendary member
Cool where would you say is the best place to buy parts?
Being in the UK makes shipping from US really expensive so I buy parts from wherever the best price/availability is.
Banggood (good prices and selection - delivery around 3 weeks to the UK)
Hobbyking (decent prices and selection though often a little behind the cutting edge of quad parts - delivery 2 to 3 days from UK warehouse, around 3 weeks from other warehouses)
unmannedtechshop.co.uk - (super bits, but a lot out of stock - 2 to 3 days delivery)
and of course....ebay for bits and bobs (heat shrink, bolts, tape etc.)

CarolineTyler

Legendary member
I forgot.... HobbyRC.co.uk .....great selection of stuff but their prices seem to be s bit on the high side. You do get a free sweet with every order 😃😃