More vids on 3D planes.

SkySlayer

ARC=Almost Ready to Crash
Hi FliteTest i love your show but i would like it if u did a review on the ElectriFly FlatOut Turmoil ARF 3D Foam plane or at least a 3d Foam plane with tips on the gluing.

Ak Flyer

Fly the wings off
Mentor
3D flat foamie builds are time consuming. Everything has to be super light so hot glue is out of the question. I just built my Galaxy a couple weeks ago and it was fun but not for a beginner that's for sure. I am soooo happy with the way it flies though. Hobbyking has a lot of good 3D or at least sport planes that would be a great review topic. I doubt they will do any Great Planes (electrifly) reviews though since they are not a sponsored product.

SkySlayer

3D flat foamie builds are time consuming. Everything has to be super light so hot glue is out of the question.

But how come in one of their vids(i think a dr fokker scratch build) josh(bixler) said hot glue guns are fine for foam planes?

nibnobsam

I like big leccy planes
Mentor
If you use depron, then it can take time if you don't have foam safe cyano. An EPP model can use any cyano. I built one in 30 minutes:p

teflyer

Full Circle
But how come in one of their vids(i think a dr fokker scratch build) josh(bixler) said hot glue guns are fine for foam planes?

Hot glue guns are fine for foam planes as long as you are not going to build lightweight planes and/or not living in a hot environment, like Texas. For 3D, the lighter the plane, the better.

Ak Flyer

Fly the wings off
Mentor
If you use depron, then it can take time if you don't have foam safe cyano. An EPP model can use any cyano. I built one in 30 minutes:p

Foam safe CA and accelerator sure makes life easier and builds faster. Still, I would love to see someone build this in 30 minutes.
2012-02-12_09-06-23_53.jpg

Ak Flyer

Fly the wings off
Mentor
The silly bits are hard, the twiddly bits are aggravating, but the silly twiddly bits aren't that bad :cool:

SkySlayer

For me my issue is that the detail on the instruction manual isnt that specific and its unclear

Ak Flyer

Fly the wings off
Mentor
I agree, the amount of information on my Galaxy instructions was minimal at best. I would do several things different now that I've been through one. Mostly for durability reasons. So far I haven't crashed it so it hasn't been a problem yet.

Ak Flyer

Fly the wings off
Mentor
Interesting article. I had looked at those before but heard bad things from people who had them. I guess they weren't very durable.

My issues with the galaxy were the extensive use of carbon and no lengths or really any guidance at all on how to apply them. There were pictures but only from one angle, and the carbon came in two sticks and you have to figure out the lengths on your own. It also didn't show how to apply the doublers and I didn't figure it out until I had done them all wrong lol. I have no complaints about the way it flies, I just think some more tips would have really helped. I know I'll do a much better job next time if there is one.

SkySlayer

ya ive just built my 1st foam 3D plane and it looks great from far and it took me 3months to build(no thanks to my 6hr dry wood glue and school)