Most Reliable/Best Brand of Props?

Crady

It won't be long before I'll need to buy the first set of props for my quad build and there are so many options out there I'm spoiled for choice (building a Tarot Ironman 650 with NTM Prop Drive 28-30S 800KVs).

In the past wood has always been my favorite for glow models, but after doing some research I'm thinking that for flat-out reliability a high performance multirotor could benefit from CF.

Anyone have a favorite, trusted brand of CF props to recommend?

Thanks!

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
BUY CHEAP.

you WILL break props while you're learning to fly

MANY PROPS, therefore MANY SPARES.

knowing you're up to something really big, I wouldn't suggest paying more than $2.00 a prop, but cheaper if you can get away with it. Learn to control the multirotor, then move up to carbon props when you infrequently crash . . . then when you almost never crash, buy wooden props ;)

Crady

Thanks, Dan. Yes, that's obvious and I thought about that, but I've seen too many cheap props snap on quads at the worst possible times and I don't plan to lose my investment over a $2 prop.

I hope someone can simply answer my question without editorializing: What are the most reliable brands of props out there (CF any other material for that matter).

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
Namebrands...APC is at the top of the short list.

For CF, I have heard good things from RCTimer props

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
Dude! You ask for opinions but no editorializing?

I may not be answering your question directly, but I'm trying to provide what you need to know, not just what you want to know. After you've flown a while, you'll learn the better brands while sorting out your build issues.

In the mean time save your money -- props shatter on the ground, not in the air.

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
Crady,

I wish you luck with your build.

. . . but that's it for me.

Cyberdactyl

Misfit Multirotor Monkey
I was going to add the caveat that IF you were new and lifting some 'cash', you should step up to nicer props.

But as both CraftyD and I alluded, and may have somewhat assumed. . . but may have not made clear, IF you were new, and/or never flown hobby level MRs, you probably shouldn't be lifting ~$500+ worth of MR to begin with, whether it be an expensive RTF, or octi or hex, or some combination of that and a pricy camera config.

For example. . .there's a newly announced tricopter RTF "Pocket Drone".

It's $500.

Basically a kickstarter is offering up a smaller-tri to the public. It could possibly be quite the rave on the RC RTF scene. But as we all know, tri's can be a bear to 'get right' and fly. So I'm curious. . . what will be the component repair inventory? :black_eyed: :p

cranialrectosis

Faster than a speeding face plant!
Mentor
There are three types of men in this world.

There's the guy who just gets it. He doesn't have to be told or read about it, he just gets it.

There's the guy who doesn't quite get it, but he gets it enough to watch the guy who does or read his book, thereby following in the safer footsteps of the one who gets it.

Then there's the guy who just has to whiz on the electric fence...

Mind your fingers Crady.

pgerts

Old age member
Mentor
I think i have seen some XOAR CF props on multis.
I totally agree - do not put any GWS or similar on a multi you want to fly seriously.
Absolute balance.
Locked threads.
6 motors or more.
All might help to save your expensive camera equipment.
131129-09.JPG

Build the plane or copter for flying - not for crasching!

Tritium

Amateur Extra Class K5TWM
Lower cost but fairly good props for beginning are Gemfans which are available in Nylon or CF reinforced Nylon (my favorite). APC has a new multirotor line similar to the nearly unobtanium Graupners. RC Timer has some acceptable CF. I have yet to find any props that do not need some major balancing though. Lastly Hi Model props are used on my Armattan Acro craft and are quite cheap AND durable.
YMMV of course.

I have personally known at least 4 individuals that actually did the electric fence trial here in the land of winter wheat for cattle grazing and electric fences. Not a single one will EVER repeat it.

Thurmond