Motor and Prop Recommendation for a Piper Cub

Joker 53150

Mmmmmmm, balsa.
Mentor
I've wanted an excuse to get into RC for years, and now that my son is old enough to be my excuse I'm finally pulling the trigger on it. I was recently given a balsa ARF electric Piper cub kit and I need to source the electronics.

Before I actually finish the Cub I plan on picking up a Bixler to get my feet wet with the help of a friend who's been flying for years. However, since I need to place the order for the Bixler I may as well get the pieces needed to finish the Cub at the same time.

The Cub has a 60" span, 37" long, and weighs about 2.64 pounds according to the build manual. It calls for a 4 channel setup, a 25A speed control, and 3 cell 2,500 mAh battery. The motor suggested is the AXI 2808/24, which lists on the Hobby Lobby website for $89.99. Call me cheap, but I'm hoping to source a motor quite a bit cheaper than that.

Any recommendations for the motor and prop based on the plane size? It's a standard Cub, not a war bird replica, so nice easy controlled flight is the goal, with enough extra reserve to allow for aerobatic dives into the ground when I think I know what I'm doing.

Heck, while we're at it, I'll take suggestions on the battery and speed control if anybody wants to go the extra mile.
Thanks for any assistance!

Joker 53150

Mmmmmmm, balsa.
Mentor
The Cub is made by "BH Model", made in Vietnam. It was originally purchased from Hobby People back in 2009 and sat in the box until it was given to me a few weeks back. I don't have anything to compare it against, but the build quality looks pretty decent. The covering had a few small wrinkles which came out easily with a little heat. I don't see any warping to the wings or fuselage and the even the instructions are easy to follow (translated well). The stock wheels seem a bit cheap (hard foam), but that's my only real complaint.

I've only test-fit some of the pieces so far and everything seems to fit well. I expect to do a little trimming of the covering and maybe even a little balsa-trimming as I fit the tail feathers in place, but it's not rocket science.

earthsciteach

I'd recommend you email those specs to Jeff at headsuprc.com and ask him for his advice on what motor to hang on it. Are you located in the US? If so, they have competitive prices, top-notch service and a flat shipping rate of $2.

Another source would be Grayson Hobbies.