Motor brake programming from TX

TooJung2Die

Master member
Motor brake: is there such a thing in BLHeli firmware? I want the propeller to stop when throttle is zero.

I fly fixed wing. I have a couple of BLHeli ESC's and I'd like to use one in a glider. In programming mode there are 13 configurable parameters. I cannot figure out which parameter is the motor brake. I think it is flashed with SiLabs Rev 11.x firmware but it may be an earlier Rev.

Jon

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Most esc's can be programmed using the sticks on your radio. If you look up your specific esc there should be a table in the data sheet that discloses them and how to do it.

TooJung2Die

Master member
I have the data sheets. Are you familiar with BLHeli firmware? There is no motor brake parameter. What do you use instead?

TooJung2Die

Master member
I believe the parameter you are after is called damping force.

Thanks. I turned on damped light. I see that it actively slows down the rpm as the throttle is reduced. It does not keep the motor braked at zero so the propeller can freewheel. It's obvious this is helicopter firmware and not intended for fixed wing.

Is there another firmware I can flash that has motor brake? This is an SiLabs chip. I have flashed Atmel with SimonK. Everyone is going forward with firmware and I want to go back. :eek:

The obvious thing to do is buy ESC's that are intended for airplanes. I like to learn and this is interesting.

ElectriSean

Eternal Student
Mentor
Damped light is more of a multirotor thing, there should be an option for full damped mode which you can then set the damping force. But if you're running SimonK you're not running BLHeli, and I have no experience with that ;)

TooJung2Die

Master member
This is an SiLabs chip running BLHeli Rev 11. I was saying I can flash the chip to an earlier version of BLHeli if it will motor brake.

Damped Light is a parameter of PWM frequency and Damping Force is a function. Do you have to have Damped Light parameter set before changing the Damping Force?

This is the table for BLHeli Rev 11. Are we talking about function 12, 13 or both?

BLHeli Rev 11.jpg

Last edited:

TooJung2Die

Master member
Your BLHeli Rev. 11 document is the same one I copied above. You can find all the data sheets for all the Rev. in the BLHeli Suite. The best I can do is play around with setting the parameters and see if it can come up with something like motor brake. At least I know not to buy any BLHeli ESC's for airplanes anymore.

TooJung2Die

Master member
BLHeli "brake on stop" the answer

I found the answer. If someone else ever has the same question it'll be posted here.

"Brake on stop" was added to BLHeli firmware from Rev 14.5 on. It was added for fixed wing aircraft and gliders specifically. It stops the motor and keeps the propeller from spinning when the throttle is at zero. Damping does not stop the motor from spinning and is of no use for fixed wing aircraft.

Unfortunately for most of us "Brake on stop" parameter cannot be enabled/disabled through transmitter programming. You need additional hardware and software to connect your PC to the ESC. I found this in the operation manual for BLHeli SiLabs Rev14.x

Programming parameters that can only be accessed from configuration software (BLHeliSuite):
- Brake on stop can be enabled or disabled (from rev14.5). When enabled, brake will be applied when throttle is zero. For nonzero throttle, this setting has no effect.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
I was just going to add..most esc's come with "proprietary" versions of Bl Heli not the real bl heli. to get all the features of true bl heli you MUST flash from the bl heli choices to over write the factory ones that the mfg custom edited for their hardware.

TooJung2Die

Master member
I was just going to add..most esc's come with "proprietary" versions of Bl Heli not the real bl heli. to get all the features of true bl heli you MUST flash from the bl heli choices to over write the factory ones that the mfg custom edited for their hardware.

I'm sure this is true in many cases. Try to find a user manual for "Happymodel BLHeli 15A ESC". I searched for months off and on.

Fortunately there are smart people out there with inquiring minds who have figured out how this ESC was put together. That's how I know it came loaded with BLHeli Rev 11.2 not a proprietary version.

I might get the hardware interface and learn how to use BLHeliSuite using these ESC's as a learning tool. I fixed a couple of defective ESC's from Banggood by flashing a newer version of SimonK on them.