motor choice for ft planes

origamipilot

I was wondering what motor to get that I could use for all the swappables except for the flyer, delta, nutball, fogey and speedster. I've heard people saying the ntm 2826 is bad quality( is this just their own fault?) so I was looking at the park 450, hobbyking version, not e-flite. would this be a good choice?

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
The NTM 28-26A motors are generally a bad choice for multirotors because the bearings tend to be iffy -- sometimes they're fine, sometimes they don't last -- but for fixed wing they work just fine even if they go out early. The extra vibration from a sloppy bearing isn't in issue for fixed wing.

I've never used a HK park450, but the spec's look nearly identical to the NTM, with the exception that it's not rated to 4S. That usually doesn't mean it can't be run on 4S, but that the bearings aren't sized to run at the higher RPMs.

. . . so spotty bearings or weak bearings . . . in the end, I think either would be fine.

origamipilot

I've also heard people say the 28-35 gives better performance. would this be overkill or handy to have? I would like to have good performance.

Last edited:

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
The minis -- not a chance. The larger swappable FT planes? Mostly.

The FT3D will prefer something a bit bigger (it's power hungry, but the NTM would keep it airborne), and the simple soarer and 3 pack would prefer something smaller, but the rest of the swappables would fly happy with something around the size and power either of these motors provide.

BanditJacksRC

I recommend the NTM 28-26 if you're a beginner over any suppo motors. This is because the NTM accessory pack includs a prop adaptor that bolts directly on the bell, and with the suppo, the prop adapter slips on the original shaft. When you crash a suppo motor the shaft will almost always bend. I have wrecked with the NTM 28-26 a BUNCH of times (its the motor i learned with) and have NEVER had to replace any shaft or bearings or anything as of yet. and it still runs like a champ.
I have build almost all the newer FT planes and its a prety good overall choice.

BanditJacksRC

Also note I haven't tried the lazertoyz motors, but have heard they are pretty good/ powerfull. and it looks like to you either choice with the prop adapter. (either bolt on bell, or slip on to original shaft)

thebigbaker

I'm new to this hobby so I'm not sure how much I can help, but I got a Suppo 2208/14 from Altitude Hobbies (as suggested by FT in the 3 pack electronics description). I've built the 3 pack swappables (Flyer, Nutball and Delta) but have only flown the flyer since the weather here in Denver hasn't been the best for flying the past few days. So far, I like this motor and it's worked great with the 8x4E prop and 3S 500mAh and 1000mAh batteries I've been using. The only issue I've had was I broke the prop adapter collet that came w/ the motor after a nose dive crash. Luckily I took the advice from my LHS and got some extra prop adapters!

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
I've been using the NTM 28-30 1100kv motors and I think they perform very well. I think the 900kv version would work, but I think you'll like the 1100kv better.