Help! Motor/ESC/BEC/ServoMotor

Ali F

Just one, you could use two if you needed more power.
Alright, so what I will buy is:
6 x 30 A ESC
6 x Brushless motor
1100KV Sunnysky X2216
1250KV Sunnysky X2216
880KV Sunnysky X2216-11
A2212/10T 1400KV
A2212/6T 2200KV
A2212/13T 1000KV
DYS BE1806/2300KV, 2-3S
CF2812 1530KV
CF2822 1200KV
ZMR 1804 - 2400KV
EMAX XA2212 820KV
XA2212 1400KV

Which one?:unsure:

Ali F

Yes, that is the one I use.
If I can use the budget for some propellers/ flight controller / Tx Rx
What you suggest?
1060 Propeller or 1045 I think it will be good, right?
Pixhawk, APM or Matek for the flight controller?
For the transmitter, if I can pick something that suitable with quad and fixed wing and with all the projects, and something that have a good quality work and a good product life-cycle.
Spektrum DX6? or its a little bit expensive?

Last edited:

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
Props are something that may change depending on the mission. The 10x6 will fly a bit faster than an 11x4, but the 11x4 will lift more. A watt meter is a useful tool to test different prop sizes. With a new prop size, run it for 10 seconds or so, then stop and hold the motor to check the temperature. Warm is OK, but if it’s so hot you can’t hold, that’s too hot. Then try a 30 second run, then a 60 second run, testing the temp after each run. If it passes the 60 second run, the prop size will work. You could try a larger size. If the motor gets too hot, try a smaller prop. Larger diameter will have more lift, larger pitch will have more speed. You will need to choose the best combination of lift or speed, if you increase one the other will need to come down to prevent over heating. If you can increase both then you have not optimized the prop.

I don’t have a lot of experience with flight controllers, Matek looks promising, the Pixhawk is proven, the APM is near the end of life.

All of the hobby grade transmitters are good, they all work well. I have gone over a mile with my Flysky. If I were to start over, I’d look at the Jumper, it will work with nearly any Rx.

Here is the first of eight videos that helped me with the basics of FPV

Ali F

Props are something that may change depending on the mission. The 10x6 will fly a bit faster than an 11x4, but the 11x4 will lift more. A watt meter is a useful tool to test different prop sizes. With a new prop size, run it for 10 seconds or so, then stop and hold the motor to check the temperature. Warm is OK, but if it’s so hot you can’t hold, that’s too hot. Then try a 30 second run, then a 60 second run, testing the temp after each run. If it passes the 60 second run, the prop size will work. You could try a larger size. If the motor gets too hot, try a smaller prop. Larger diameter will have more lift, larger pitch will have more speed. You will need to choose the best combination of lift or speed, if you increase one the other will need to come down to prevent over heating. If you can increase both then you have not optimized the prop.
I see.
But its does not exist some calculations to know therotically that this prop will generate this amount of lift for example?

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
Look at a sellers website, often they will have prop and thrust data for a given motor. Motors of the same size &Kv will all preform about the same.

Flight time depends on the throttle setting, if you go faster, flight time will be shortened. I get about 10 minutes with a larger motor & a 12x4 prop. A guess would be 12-15 minutes.

Ali F

Look at a sellers website, often they will have prop and thrust data for a given motor. Motors of the same size &Kv will all preform about the same.

Flight time depends on the throttle setting, if you go faster, flight time will be shortened. I get about 10 minutes with a larger motor & a 12x4 prop. A guess would be 12-15 minutes.
I see, look at this one:

Simple Introduction:
Skywalker 1720 FPV Platform EPO KIT Version
Model # Skywalker 1720

Technical Data
Wing Span --- 1720mm
Length ---1180mm
Empty Weight ---920g
Material --- EPO Foam

Recommended equipment (to be purchased separately)
Prop --- 9*4 -9*6
R/C System --- 2.4Ghz 6ch with flaps - 8ch or more for use with autopilot
Li-Poly Battery --- 3s-4s 2200-5000mAh
ESC --- 30-40A
Servo --- 9g * 4pcs
Brushless Motor--- 2814/2820 980kv-780kv

Features
1- Max 3kg flying weight, more than 100 minutes flying time
2- Special position on the tail for video transmitter for cooling
3- Tough EPO construction, high strength body and wing.
4- Large wingspan for long time FPV flying in variety of weather conditions
5- Very big size cabin for FPV equipment, unique nose mounted, large camera canopy.
6- Detachable Wing and Tail for Easy Transport
7- Fast disassembly components and adjustable tail distance structure
8- Strong Carbon Fiber tubes for main wing and tail wing
9- Cruise speed: 40km/h, max speed: 150km/h

Its has a max 3kg flying weight, more than 100 minutes flying time and cruise speed: 40km/h, max speed: 150km/h
Because Lift is generated by the wings, and its has only one motor for the battery to power, right?

Last edited:

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
Yes, one motor. The Skywalker is a good proven air frame the only downside, you can’t use a prop larger than 6 inches. You will need a very large battery (heavy) to get 100 minute flights, so you will not have any payload capacity. To gain payload, you will need a smaller battery, which equals shorter flights. I’m sure they are also flying slowly to get 100 minutes.

I have flown 30 minutes on my 2200 3S, by catching a few thermals. But you can’t always count on thermals.

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
I see, look at this one:

Simple Introduction:
Skywalker 1720 FPV Platform EPO KIT Version
Model # Skywalker 1720

Technical Data
Wing Span --- 1720mm
Length ---1180mm
Empty Weight ---920g
Material --- EPO Foam

Recommended equipment (to be purchased separately)
Prop --- 9*4 -9*6
R/C System --- 2.4Ghz 6ch with flaps - 8ch or more for use with autopilot
Li-Poly Battery --- 3s-4s 2200-5000mAh
ESC --- 30-40A
Servo --- 9g * 4pcs
Brushless Motor--- 2814/2820 980kv-780kv

Features
1- Max 3kg flying weight, more than 100 minutes flying time
2- Special position on the tail for video transmitter for cooling
3- Tough EPO construction, high strength body and wing.
4- Large wingspan for long time FPV flying in variety of weather conditions
5- Very big size cabin for FPV equipment, unique nose mounted, large camera canopy.
6- Detachable Wing and Tail for Easy Transport
7- Fast disassembly components and adjustable tail distance structure
8- Strong Carbon Fiber tubes for main wing and tail wing
9- Cruise speed: 40km/h, max speed: 150km/h

Its has a max 3kg flying weight, more than 100 minutes flying time and cruise speed: 40km/h, max speed: 150km/h
Because Lift is generated by the wings, and its has only one motor for the battery to power, right?
Do you have a link to this plane? Did you find it online?