Help! Motor/ESC/BEC/ServoMotor

Ali F

Good evening everyone, I work in a lab that build mechanical robot/devices.....
My manager told me that the electronic components budget is available, and I have to send a list with all the components needed.
And I want to add in the list some components that I can use it while building RC Fixed wing or Multirotor drones.
The key is to buy something that I can use whatever the project is, Quadrotor/Fixed wing, with only a camera or a payload, RC or autopilot, and every size......
In my area those are the motors available:
1100KV Sunnysky X2216
1250KV Sunnysky X2216
880KV Sunnysky X2216-11
A2212/10T 1400KV
A2212/6T 2200KV
A2212/13T 1000KV
DYS BE1806/2300KV, 2-3S
CF2812 1530KV
CF2822 1200KV
ZMR 1804 - 2400KV
EMAX XA2212 820KV
XA2212 1400KV

and for the ESC: 10A/20A/30A

For the BEC: I need more information from you guys!

For the servo motors: All the types are available, which one to pick for the fixed wing rc drone?

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
For the BEC most ESC's will have them internal unless specified, some for quads don't have a built in BEC. If you find a 5A/5V external BEC or an ESC with an internal equivalent, that should work for any application

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
Given the size of motors you have going on will determine the max size of the airframe, anything for servo selection will be in the vicinity of 5 gram to 9 gram servos, preferably metal gear servos though they may not be needed depending on the project. They are more reliable though. With servos you get what you pay for. Cheap servos are less reliable then the more expensive ones. $3-5 a servo would be a good place to budget for

Ali F

Do you have a quantity of one per motor size available?
I can afford for exaple 4 motors/ 4 ESCs/ 4 servo motors.
The problem is i dont know which project I will work on with, so I want something that I can apply to Quadcopter and Fixedwing with different sizes and payload.....

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
If I could only buy 1 motor it would be the 2212 1400kv, very flexible. I have used them on both quads & planes. All else being equal, I would most likely go with the 30A ECS, more power for little extra cost or weight penalty. I have great results with the $1 servos. I buy them in bulk, so when they break I always have a spare to replace it.

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
I see what you are doing now. Most versatile for payload, size and application would agree with using the 2212 1400kv. All four motors could be used on the quad or the fixed wing with 30 amp ESC's. You could even go bigger with the 2812 1530kv with 8-9" props, which for fixed wing you could do a twin motor design, but 30 amp ESC's might not be enough

Ali F

If I could only buy 1 motor it would be the 2212 1400kv, very flexible. I have used them on both quads & planes. All else being equal, I would most likely go with the 30A ECS, more power for little extra cost or weight penalty. I have great results with the $1 servos. I buy them in bulk, so when they break I always have a spare to replace it.
So if I have in my stock four 2212 1400kv and four 30A ESC, whatever the project that I will work on its will suitable with?
Quad/Fixed-wing.
RC/Autopilot
Camera/More payload
??

Ali F

I see what you are doing now. Most versatile for payload, size and application would agree with using the 2212 1400kv. All four motors could be used on the quad or the fixed wing with 30 amp ESC's. You could even go bigger with the 2812 1530kv with 8-9" props, which for fixed wing you could do a twin motor design, but 30 amp ESC's might not be enough
So if I have in my stock four 2212 1400kv and four 30A ESC and for example two 2812 1530kv.
In this case, I will be flexible in choosing my projects?
It will work on different size and payload?
RC/Autopilot?
Quad/Fixedwing?

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
So if I have in my stock four 2212 1400kv and four 30A ESC, whatever the project that I will work on its will suitable with?
You could do many projects with that motor, quad, fixed wing etc. There are limits, you can't do all projects with that motor.

You really have not said much about what you want to do. If you want to fly fast, go with a higher Kv motor. If you want to lift a payload or fly a longer time, go with a lower Kv motor. The 1400 Kv is a compromise between fast & slow. If you want to build big, go with a larger motor. If you want to build small, go with a smaller motor. The 2212 is a compromise between big & small.

Let us know more about what you want to do.

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
So if I have in my stock four 2212 1400kv and four 30A ESC and for example two 2812 1530kv.
In this case, I will be flexible in choosing my projects?
It will work on different size and payload?
RC/Autopilot?
Quad/Fixedwing?
The four 2212 will be able to team up on one fixed wing for payload purposes and the two 2812's will work for a twin speed machine. The 30 amp ESC's will work on the smaller motors no problem but might be little light for the larger motors especially on 4s, and will be based on your prop selection as well

Ali F

You could do many projects with that motor, quad, fixed wing etc. There are limits, you can't do all projects with that motor.

You really have not said much about what you want to do. If you want to fly fast, go with a higher Kv motor. If you want to lift a payload or fly a longer time, go with a lower Kv motor. The 1400 Kv is a compromise between fast & slow. If you want to build big, go with a larger motor. If you want to build small, go with a smaller motor. The 2212 is a compromise between big & small.

Let us know more about what you want to do.
The four 2212 will be able to team up on one fixed wing for payload purposes and the two 2812's will work for a twin speed machine. The 30 amp ESC's will work on the smaller motors no problem but might be little light for the larger motors especially on 4s, and will be based on your prop selection as well
For the projects that I may work on in the future are probably:
- Quadcopter for security issues ( Good FPV camera quality + OSD ) + GPS ( autopilot ) + speaker + lights.
- Quadcopter for agriculture ( FPV + OSD + Autopilot + Sensors ( temp humidity pressure ), and maybe some payload ( chemical solutions or seedballs )
- Fixed wing for mapping ( Good FPV camera quality + OSD + Autopilot )
- Fixed wing for environmental monitoring ( sensors and Good FPV camera quality + OSD + Autopilot )
- Fixed wing and quadcopter for disaster relief or first inspections of a forest fires for example.

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
For the projects that I may work on....
No need for speed then.
I’d stick with the 2212 motor but pick a lower Kv, 1000 or less. A lower Kv will give a bit more flight time or more payload. This will do everything except the spraying & seeding, which will require much larger motors to be practical. The plane or quad should have a top speed 25-35 mph & a range of 1-2 miles, with the limiting factor being the range of Tx & FPV system.

Ali F

No need for speed then.
I’d stick with the 2212 motor but pick a lower Kv, 1000 or less. A lower Kv will give a bit more flight time or more payload. This will do everything except the spraying & seeding, which will require much larger motors to be practical. The plane or quad should have a top speed 25-35 mph & a range of 1-2 miles, with the limiting factor being the range of Tx & FPV system.
Yes you got it right, all these projects does not need a higher speed, but a longer flight time and more payload.
A 25-35 mph top speed its just enough in all these kind of projects.
The range of 1-2 miles is just for the rc mode right? Not for the autopilot, right?
For spraying and seeding, what kind of motors you suggest?
And ESCs too for all these projects?

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
The range of 1-2 miles is just for the rc mode right? Not for the autopilot, right?
Correct, autopilot could a little further but not a lot. Maybe 3 miles out & back, not 5 miles. In the US, this would be illegal, not sure about where you live.
For spraying and seeding, what kind of motors you suggest?
This setup would lift 1-2 pounds which would treat a very small area. To be practical in a large area, you would need much bigger payload 200-300 pounds or more. This would require massive motors.
And ESCs too for all these projects?
Yes, the 30A ESC should be fine.

Here is a small spray drone, I suspect we will eventually be using ones much larger that this one.

Ali F

Correct, autopilot could a little further but not a lot. Maybe 3 miles out & back
This is only for law issues, not its the autopilot capabilities, right?

So for now, if I pick 4 or 6 A2212/13T 1000KV or EMAX XA2212 820KV motors with 6 30A ESC, I will be just fine and flexible to work on any of those projects mentioned before?

Ali F

So for now, if I pick 4 or 6 A2212/13T 1000KV or EMAX XA2212 820KV motors with 6 30A ESC, I will be just fine and flexible to work on any of those projects mentioned before?
Another important thing is the material.
I think I can use foam board / wood / maybe carbon fiber.

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
In the US, is illegal to fly beyond line of sight.
Yes, of the motors you original listed, these will best suite your goals of payload and flight time.

I build with foamboard, wood, bamboo & carbon fiber. CF will block radio frequencies, don't place you antennas in the line of sight between the Tx & Rx.

Last edited:

Ali F

In the US, is illegal to fly beyond line of sight.
And if not, the plane can go as far as the battery can perform, right?

Yes, of the motors you original listed, these will best suite your goals of payload and flight time.
You know now all the project that I may work on, if I have to pick 4 or 6 motors, what would be the best choices? Quad/Fixedwing RC/Autopilot and all other characterstics talked.
1100KV Sunnysky X2216
1250KV Sunnysky X2216
880KV Sunnysky X2216-11
A2212/10T 1400KV
A2212/6T 2200KV
A2212/13T 1000KV
DYS BE1806/2300KV, 2-3S
CF2812 1530KV
CF2822 1200KV
ZMR 1804 - 2400KV
EMAX XA2212 820KV
XA2212 1400KV

I build with foamboard, wood, bamboo & carbon fiber. CF will block radio frequencies, don't place you antennas in the line of sight between the Tx & Rx antennas.
What the best material to use in those projects?

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
Yes, if it’s not illegal, the plane can go as far as the battery can take it. Keep in mind, you need to fly the mission and return also. The total flight distance will be 6-7 miles, hopefully most of that distance will be in the mission, flying the grid and the flight to and from can be kept at a minimum.

I would pick 4-6 of the same motor, with a quad or hex, the motors must be identical.

I use a lot of foamboard & bamboo for planes, carbon fiber for quads.