Motor for old fogey

con244

Hi I posted this question in the swappables forum and got no answer so I thought I'd post it here. I am building an Old Fogey. While I am used to scratch building this is the first swappable I have built. I have a DT750 motor hat I want to use on this plane but am concerned that it may be too big for this application. I expect i'll use a 1047 slow flyer prop and a 3 cell lipo with it. What do your guys think? Will it be ok or will it be overkill?
thanks
Con

RoyBro

Mentor
The recommended motor is a 24 gram motor like the Blue Wonder or the E-Max 2822 1200kv motor. I'd try a 9x4.7 with a 2s, or an 8x6 with a 3s.

I'm not sure how a DT 750 will work. I fear it would be too much.

Last edited:

con244

Thanks for your reply RoyBro. It probably is a bit overpowered especially for such a light model. Just trying to avoid buying another new motor. Could be an interesting experiment though. I ran a too big motor on my old slowstik and it flew surprisingly well until the ground got in the way, but that had nothing to do with the motor. I guess I going to have to buy a new motor.
Cheers
Con

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
Thanks for your reply RoyBro. It probably is a bit overpowered especially for such a light model. Just trying to avoid buying another new motor. Could be an interesting experiment though. I ran a too big motor on my old slowstik and it flew surprisingly well until the ground got in the way, but that had nothing to do with the motor. I guess I going to have to buy a new motor.
Cheers
Con

Oh, don't buy a new motor!!!

Only two things you need to be careful about here - keeping balance and torque roll.

If you can balance out with the extra weight (~1oz), just put a smaller prop on it. With less prop to bite the air, the motor will run cooler, draw less current and still work fine. Once you're comfortable with it and want some extra punch, step the prop back up and see if you still like how she handles.

con244

Thanks Dan,
I still don't "get" electric motors. I started back when methanol was king! It was much easier then.
Con

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
Thanks Dan,
I still don't "get" electric motors. I started back when methanol was king! It was much easier then.
Con

Details of what works and doesn't will come in time -- never played with RC engines, but from playing around with their bigger cousins, they're not really harder, just different.

On the setup side, they are harder, but once it's all set, you pull the plane out of the back seat, plug in your battery and toss into the wind.

Gassers have their charm, but simple field setup is not one of them ;)

BTW, took a look at the data on th eHK site, and ironically, because of the drop in RPM, those prop choices look like they'll work well for under-propping the DT750. Might still be a little too much power, so go easy on the throttle on the first toss/taxi.

Last edited: