Motor getting hot!

allmotordc5ive

hey wassup guys, this is actually my first post at flite test and i tried searching first but couldnt find the answer. Anyways i have a GWS slow stick and running a 18a esc paired up with 1500kv from exceed rc, also being powered by a 1300mah 3s 30c lipo..I was using gws 8040 prop but the motor is getting too hot..any help will be appreciated! thanks everyone!

jetpackninja

More combat please...
Mentor
You may be overpropped.
Hard to say since Exceed (Hobbypartz?) doesn't make prop recommendations.
I like a lower KV motor on a slow stick.
The ones I'm using are 1000kv (2830) and I run a 10x6 prop

Do you have a wattmeter?

allmotordc5ive

Is the ESC getting hot, too?
No sir, the esc is fine only the motor

You may be overpropped.
Hard to say since Exceed (Hobbypartz?) doesn't make prop recommendations.
I like a lower KV motor on a slow stick.
The ones I'm using are 1000kv (2830) and I run a 10x6 prop

Do you have a wattmeter?

yessir from hobby partz..i was using a 1300kv but that went bad, had the spare motor(exceed rc 1500kv) laying around just thought i use that however i do want to use it on my Slow Stick. What prop do you recommend i use? sorry everyone just got into the rc airplane game!

jetpackninja

More combat please...
Mentor
You really need a wattmeter to know for sure.
But the motor getting hot is a good indicator that you are overpropped.
I don't know anybody that runs that motor.
I think I would try maybe a 7x5 or 7x4. (not a firm recommendation but worth a try)
Proceed carefully.

Part of your challenge is that you are using a motor that probably isn't well suited for your application.
The Slow Stick being a slow light flyer likes a lower kv motor swinging a largish slow fly propeller

pgerts

Old age member
Mentor
You do not have ANY specs for your motor other than 1500KV?
When i run a 25 gram motor (80-100W) with 1500 KV i run with 8*4 on 2 cells and 7*4 or 7*6 on 3 cells - 8*4 will be to much.
On a 50 gram motor (150-200W) 8*4 is the perfect choice for 3 cells on my 1500 KV motor.

allmotordc5ive

You really need a wattmeter to know for sure.
But the motor getting hot is a good indicator that you are overpropped.
I don't know anybody that runs that motor.
I think I would try maybe a 7x5 or 7x4. (not a firm recommendation but worth a try)
Proceed carefully.

Part of your challenge is that you are using a motor that probably isn't well suited for your application.
The Slow Stick being a slow light flyer likes a lower kv motor swinging a largish slow fly propeller

cool thanks ninja, ill be ordering the wattmeter next and those props you recommended

You do not have ANY specs for your motor other than 1500KV?
When i run a 25 gram motor (80-100W) with 1500 KV i run with 8*4 on 2 cells and 7*4 or 7*6 on 3 cells - 8*4 will be to much.
On a 50 gram motor (150-200W) 8*4 is the perfect choice for 3 cells on my 1500 KV motor.

i tried using my 2s earlier and the motor didnt get hot! but ill probably buy those props you recommended just in case i wanna run 3s..thanks every one for the help!

SkySlayer

ARC=Almost Ready to Crash
Hi guys I would also like some help with that because I have the exact same problem only it's that my motor and speed control get hot. My ESC gets really warm but my motor can melt skin(I know personally).
Setup:10*4 prop,1300mAh 3s 25C(i think can't find out), brushless 20A ESC

No. Of cells:2-3Li-Po

RPM/V:1100KV

Max. efficiency current:4 - 7 A (>74%)

NoLoad current / 10 V:0.4A

Current
capacity:8A/60s

A2208/17
http://www.suppomodel.com/motor/A2208.html

Last edited:

jetpackninja

More combat please...
Mentor
Hi guys I would also like some help with that because I have the exact same problem only it's that my motor and speed control get hot. My ESC gets really warm but my motor can melt skin(I know personally).
Setup:10*4 prop,1300mAh 3s 25C(i think can't find out), brushless 20A ESC

No. Of cells:2-3Li-Po

RPM/V:1100KV

Max. efficiency current:4 - 7 A (>74%)

NoLoad current / 10 V:0.4A

Current
capacity:8A/60s

A2208/17
http://www.suppomodel.com/motor/A2208.html

According to the specs for the motor you are using you are over propped.
If your stuff is getting that hot you are dangerously close to smoking your motor and/or your esc.
The manufacturer recommends a 9x5 on 3s with your motor.

You should invest in a wattmeter too

SkySlayer

According to the specs for the motor you are using you are over propped.
If your stuff is getting that hot you are dangerously close to smoking your motor and/or your esc.
The manufacturer recommends a 9x5 on 3s with your motor.

You should invest in a wattmeter too

How much is a wattmeter because I have a meter which measures V,A,Temp, Resistance,something I dn't knw(V~)

jetpackninja

More combat please...
Mentor
How much does an ESC cost?
How much does a motor cost?
How much does a lost plane due to a motor or ESC failure cost?

If you are going to be experimenting with motor and prop combinations my opinion is that some way to measure the current draw is a must.
My opinion is formed after two burned out motors and 3 burnt ESCs where I had switched to a different brand of prop.
Different prop profiles may have drastically different current draws even though they have similar specs.
I learned the hard way.
If you are motor is getting hot enough to melt skin, you are headed toward learning the hard way too.

SkySlayer

How much does an ESC cost?
How much does a motor cost?
How much does a lost plane due to a motor or ESC failure cost?

If you are going to be experimenting with motor and prop combinations my opinion is that some way to measure the current draw is a must.
My opinion is formed after two burned out motors and 3 burnt ESCs where I had switched to a different brand of prop.
Different prop profiles may have drastically different current draws even though they have similar specs.
I learned the hard way.
If you are motor is getting hot enough to melt skin, you are headed toward learning the hard way too.

K thanx man, it's just that a professional suggested the prop so I took it.

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
Talking about this, has anyone tried a Park450 with a GWS 10x4.7 SF (same as RCExplorer tricopter) prop? They use that in the FPVv3 build, but my motor gets hot... Oh, and I'm not building an FPVv3.