Motor overheating

ja_ovalle

Hi guys,

I have a question are the motors supposed to get hot while on the ground? at max throttle-50% because I am running a 8x6 when it is supposed to be an 8x4, and also running a spinner so my motor(on the ground, just testing) got very hot, I will take out the spinner so when it is in the air it will get more airflow, but still it may get hot, and I cant buy a different prop,what do you guys think about this

Thanks,
Jose

cranialrectosis

Faster than a speeding face plant!
Mentor
I think motors cost more than props and that once you let the magic smoke out of a motor, it becomes worthless. I think the motor getting hot is your first, and possibly last and only warning.

YMMV :)

cranialrectosis

Mentor
More details may help us figure out solutions. Details such as the motor brand and size as well as the lipo cell count and ESC information may allow us to find issues with your setup.

I.E. if the motor is rated for an 8/4 prop on 3S and you are running an 8/6 prop on 4S, the prop isn't the problem... :)

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
I have a question are the motors supposed to get hot while on the ground?
First we need to talk about how hot. Warm is OK, if you can hold it in your hand for 30 seconds or so, it’s OK. If you have to let go right now, that’s too hot. I agree with @BATTLEAXE, could be something rubbing inside, could be a bearing.

I agree with @cranialrectosis, most likely the prop is too big for the cell count you are using. A motor that is maxed out a 8x6 prop on 3S, will over heat if you run it on 4S. Higher cell count makes a motor spin faster, which makes is pull harder. With a higher cell count you need a smaller prop.

Last edited:

FDS

Elite member
Also spinners that cover the rotor are bad news for cooling, they stop airflow through the motor.
That and too much prop will make it hot.

ja_ovalle

I think motors cost more than props and that once you let the magic smoke out of a motor, it becomes worthless. I think the motor getting hot is your first, and possibly last and only warning.

YMMV :)
Sorry for not explaining in further detail, I am running a 3s on an 8x6 on a dualsky 2208c 1450 kv, it got hot, not warm,hot I could barely last 2 seconds with my hand on it,
Also spinners that cover the rotor are bad news for cooling, they stop airflow through the motor.
Thanks, so the airflow may cool it, I will have to test it while flying, and also the spinner is blocking the airflow,would pushing 2 inches on the prop´pitch , make the motor overheat that much?

thanks for all ur info here guys

cranialrectosis

Mentor
I ran Suppo 2208 1400kv and 8045 props on multirotors with a 3S lipo for a few years. They always got warm. That same setup on a F22 pusher would make the motor HOT; very hot to the point where it was too hot to touch. With 4 motors on a multirotor I was rarely at WOT whereas on the F22 I was often at WOT and that just cooked the motor with this setup.

At 1450kv on 3S an 8045 will probably generate a LOT of heat. It was beyond what I ran by 50kv. Adding more pitch, yeah, I think you are over propped...

Props are cheap and they break often. I would chop the prop and rebalance ala @Grifflyer.

Last edited: