Motor runs like a servo?

DixonGrfx

I have a motor on the throttle channel (chnl 3 on flysky receiver ). But is acting like a servo. Stick orientated at zero throttle, motor spins full out. Stick at center, motor stops. Stick at full throttle, motor spins full out opposite rotation.

If I swap on a different motor, the new motor works like it should.

Not sure what is going on. Or how to fix it.

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
Are you sure you have the model in theTx in airplane mode, not helli mode?
When you switch motors, are you using the same ESC, or a different one?
Have you calibrated the ESC?
Anything special about reversing motor?

Last edited:

DixonGrfx

Are you sure you have the model in theTx in airplane mode, not helli mode?
When you switch motors, are you using the same ESC, or a different one?
Have you calibrated the ESC?
Anything special about reversing motor?

Hmmm...
Airplane mode. Yes.
When I switch, not the same ESC. I'll clarify. Problem motor A with ESC A. Then I plug in motor B with ESC B. B set works fine. I have not tried motor A with ESC B. For some reason that didn't think to try that.

How do you celibate a ESC? I'm new to this hobby.

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
How do you celibate a ESC?
Your issue is with your ESC, it’s a quad ESC. It will allow the quad to fly inverted by reversing the motor. I’m guessing there is a way to keep it from reversing. Did it come with any documentation?

To calibrate your ESC, turn your Tx on, push the throttle to high. Plug in your ESC & wait for a beep. Then pull the throttle all the way low & wait for a beep. Then unplug the ESC. Your teaching the ESC what full throttle & no throttle looks like from your Tx

DixonGrfx

Your issue is with your ESC, it’s a quad ESC. It will allow the quad to fly inverted by reversing the motor. I’m guessing there is a way to keep it from reversing. Did it come with any documentation?

To calibrate your ESC, turn your Tx on, push the throttle to high. Plug in your ESC & wait for a beep. Then pull the throttle all the way low & wait for a beep. Then unplug the ESC. Your teaching the ESC what full throttle & no throttle looks like from your Tx

Excellent. Thank you. I'll do that!

DixonGrfx

Ok. So.... this is starting to make sense to me. But for some reason I can get the ESC into programming mode, but then when the proper beep sequence happens (D8 Rotation Direction) I move the throttle stick to bottom orientation yet the ESC doesn't select the parameter. I never get the conformation tone. Then if I move the throttle back to the full position the programming parameters selection sequence starts over.

I tried to do the factory reset option. But it seems to me that when I move the throttle to the bottom, the programming sequence stops.

This is becoming a bit frustrating. It looks like the programming card is now discontinued and transmitter programming is the only way to fix the ESC.

Last edited:

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
Ok. So.... this is starting to make sense to me. But for some reason I can get the ESC into programming mode,
There is a difference between calibrating the ESC and entering programing mode. It's how long you leave it at high throttle when you initialize (power up) the ESC. You could be going too fast or too slow. Each brand is unique as to how long, just keep playing with it until it works. Generally to enter programing mode, you put the throttle high and keep is there until the beeps tell you have reached the item you want to change. There may also be a save sequence.

DixonGrfx

There is a difference between calibrating the ESC and entering programing mode. It's how long you leave it at high throttle when you initialize (power up) the ESC. You could be going too fast or too slow. Each brand is unique as to how long, just keep playing with it until it works. Generally to enter programing mode, you put the throttle high and keep is there until the beeps tell you have reached the item you want to change. There may also be a save sequence.

It's one I got from a FT power pack. The eMax BLHeli-12a. I'll keep at it. I have the manual that came with it. These instructions are ok, but not the best.

DixonGrfx

So it turns out that while the ESC was set in bidirectional mode, the throttle stick had to be moved to 50% instead of down to 0%. It was reading the 0% position as -100%. So it wouldn't progress in the programming sequence.

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. I was able to finally set the ESC back to normal.