Motor stuttering

sprzout

Knower of useless information
Mentor
Ok - do you ever get the motor to spin up fully and only get stuttering at certain times (i.e., you slowly ramp up the throttle)? If so, I would lean towards it being timing on the ESC. I had that same issue when I was rebuilding my Sea Duck; somehow the ESC settings got messed up when I was trying to recalibrate and I didn't realize I'd gone into the timing. Once I reset the timing, the stutter went away.

What ESC are you using? Emax BLHeli ESC?

Akivaa

Ok - do you ever get the motor to spin up fully and only get stuttering at certain times (i.e., you slowly ramp up the throttle)? If so, I would lean towards it being timing on the ESC. I had that same issue when I was rebuilding my Sea Duck; somehow the ESC settings got messed up when I was trying to recalibrate and I didn't realize I'd gone into the timing. Once I reset the timing, the stutter went away.

Yeah, sometimes the motor will spin normally and sometimes it will stutter, when the prop is not on. When the prop is on it always stutters. I’m not sure how to do anything with the timing but that is the ESC I am using.

Wildthing

Legendary member

I have one esc that when I turn the brake on it will stutter on start up unless I go 75% or more on the throttle quickly. , I have changed timing, soft, medium and hard start and still the same. I have my little label on it so that I don't program the brake on into it :D :D

sprzout

Knower of useless information
Mentor
I have one esc that when I turn the brake on it will stutter on start up unless I go 75% or more on the throttle quickly. , I have changed timing, soft, medium and hard start and still the same. I have my little label on it so that I don't program the brake on into it :D:D

That sounds like a bad ESC. LOL :)

Wildthing

Legendary member
It could be either esc or motor, they both can cause the same scenario . It would be nice if you had a spare esc or motor to swap out. I wouldn't keep testing and pushing it to much you could make both parts junk.

Akivaa

It could be either esc or motor, they both can cause the same scenario . It would be nice if you had a spare esc or motor to swap out. I wouldn't keep testing and pushing it to much you could make both parts junk.
Ok, I might order a new ESC

Wildthing

Legendary member
I switched to the smallest screws to hold the motor in place but I haven’t seen any improvements.

I missed this post. Possibly if you had already used the longer screws which then could have pushed the wires internally and caused a short now installing shorter screws won't help because the wires are already pushed together. Take the motor of and look closely where the screws went in and see if you can see any bent wires.

Wildthing

Legendary member
If you are ordering and have to get it shipped to you I would say to order a motor and esc if it is in your budget.