Motor won't show in betaflight

TimOD

Hello,
I ca't get a motor 2 to show in betaflight in flying wing mode. In quad copter mode it works just fine but when I configure the fc to flying wing it wont show up. Motor 2 is listed under resource in CLI but the spot is free under resource list.Any help would be great.
Thanks

ElectriSean

Eternal Student
Mentor
Make a note of what resource MOTOR 2 is using. In the CLI do the following:

resource MOTOR 2 none
resource MOTOR 2 <whatever resource it was before>
save

TimOD

Make a note of what resource MOTOR 2 is using. In the CLI do the following:

resource MOTOR 2 none
resource MOTOR 2 <whatever resource it was before>
save

Thanks for the info,

resource MOTOR 2 none
save
resource MOTOR 2 B01
save

It responds correctly to remove and then replace in resource but still dosn't show in resource list or motors tab. Any other ideas?

TimOD

You were right on the money with the mix. I did a walkthrough of setting up a custom airplane and they showed how to set up differential thrust. By having multiple mmix lines multiple motors activate.
Thanks again

oldflyingfart

Hello all,

Excuse a newbie his sins if this info is out there.

Im using a sp racing f3 evo brushed flight controller to create a mini brushed wing.

Betaflight offers the best option to me as i can resource map other pins (if INav supported resource mapping this would have been a walk in the park i note) rather than using a solder hack to get the signal for the servos.

Like you guys however motor 2 will not show in betaflight controls. I'm using the wing option. how did you get the mmix lines to give you the additional motor? do you have any example?

many thanks in advance

Reactions: FDS

TimOD

I think this worked for me (in CLI), Had to do a custom wing. It has differential for yaw control.

#mixing motors
#motor Motor Thr Roll Pitch Yaw
mmix reset
mmix 0 1 0 0 0.3
mmix 1 1 0 0 -0.3

# sero Mixing
# Rule Servo Source Rate Speed Min Max Box

smix reset
# predifined pitch
Smix 0 3 10 100 0 0 100 0
Smix 1 4 10 100 0 0 100 0

# input pitch
Smix 2 3 1 100 0 0 100 0
Smix 3 4 1 100 0 0 100 0

# Input roll
Smix 4 3 0 100 0 0 100 0
Smix 5 4 0 -100 0 0 100 0

oldflyingfart

I think this worked for me (in CLI), Had to do a custom wing. It has differential for yaw control.

#mixing motors
#motor Motor Thr Roll Pitch Yaw
mmix reset
mmix 0 1 0 0 0.3
mmix 1 1 0 0 -0.3

# sero Mixing
# Rule Servo Source Rate Speed Min Max Box

smix reset
# predifined pitch
Smix 0 3 10 100 0 0 100 0
Smix 1 4 10 100 0 0 100 0

# input pitch
Smix 2 3 1 100 0 0 100 0
Smix 3 4 1 100 0 0 100 0

# Input roll
Smix 4 3 0 100 0 0 100 0
Smix 5 4 0 -100 0 0 100 0

Thanks timOD

I've been playing with the whole 2 motor wing thing in Betaflight an i think I've found the solution.

As a bit of background im looking to use a brushed F3 evo https://uk.gearbest.com/multi-rotor-parts/pp_569074.html to create a mini foamboard wing.

I would use Inav but wanted to use the resource mapping ability of Betaflight to assign servo output to physical pins rather than do a solder hack on the esc header.

OK cutting to the chase the way I've found to get the 2 motor option Wing working is as follows:

* Do a fresh flash of Betaflight firmware with the SPracing evo target in this instance ensuring full chip erase is set

* Set the mixer in the Configuration tab to be WING and click save & reboot

* Once reboot has done (you may need to un-plug and plug back in the usb) go to CLI and type DUMP and press enter

* Copy the contents of the CLI to a text file on your desktop

* In the text file find the Mixer: WING line and replace the whole line with "Mixer: CUSTOMAIRPLANE"

* Save the text file and then copy and paste the entire CLI dump from the text file back to the CLI in Betaflight and press enter.

* Once the text has copied in type "save" and press enter.

* BINGO!!!! Once reboot has done (you may need to un-plug and plug back in the usb) the mixer tab will say "Mixer: CUSTOMAIRPLANE" but all other settings relate to the wing and both motors will be running!

I've yet to test this for the resource mapping of servos but ill keep you posted!

Last edited:

oldflyingfart

Just a bit of feedback. To date had little success with the build using betaflight although i can assign servo outputs to the UART pins i was still not getting any signal to the servos.

Im sure im missing something, i think its to do with timings on the UART. Any advise would be good also id got it connected to RX pad and thinking about it if i changed to a TX pad might have made more sense.

However i did resort to the solder hack and flashed Inav and straight out of the box its all working with differential thrust.

Next issue is weight reduction however as all up is about 200g and the wing was on full power with 2 racerstar 0820 motors for her maiden and she struggled.

At the moment its a folded aerofoil wing some 450mm wing span and this may need to be reduced to a Folded KFM to keep weight down also im using 5g servos and have some nano servos to test.

I think i can shed at least 50g of weight also is this has been the test bed its seen rather a lot of hot glue that will be adding to its all up weight.

Keep you posted

FDS

Elite member
Use white gorilla glue and lose the inner layer of paper, that will shed a lot of weight.
This build sounds interesting, would you consider doing a separate build thread so we can see all of it? Add the set up info for the board to that too, as I am sure other people would like to build it.

oldflyingfart

Use white gorilla glue and lose the inner layer of paper, that will shed a lot of weight.
This build sounds interesting, would you consider doing a separate build thread so we can see all of it? Add the set up info for the board to that too, as I am sure other people would like to build it.
yea I'm happy to start a new thread. need to get a few things together but as you say might be worth sharing (if i can get it to fly!!)