Motor won't start, ticking and rocking

Aran

Hi guys,

I've got a turnigy 35-30 1400kv motor to go on my EPP FPV. Connected to a 40a esc with bec.

When I start up the system. I get the tune and then no further beeps to indicate all is good and no further beeps are made. However, whenever I give some throttle on my tx the motor just ticks and rocks slightly.

Other servos connected are working fine. Oh and when I give elevator or rudder input on sticks the motor will start twitching and ticking.

Any idea what the issue could be?

Thanks all,
Aran

rcspaceflight

creator of virtual planes
It's probably from only two of the three wires being connected to the motor. Might be a bad connection.

I've also had this happen from getting snow/water in the ESC.

Aran

Thanks. I'll check it out. Done enough soldering for tonight though.

Thanks again,
Aran

Last edited:

rcspaceflight

creator of virtual planes
Thanks. I'll check it out. Don't enough soldering for tonight though.

Thanks again,
Aran

I have a motor that I soldered new connectors onto and had the same problem. Apparently I didn't get one of them good enough.

adamd

skunkworx hobbies
yep one phase is missing! well thats how it sounds from you description. you can isolate it by removing one phase at a time. try to run it at as little power and time you can. when its not spinning there is no counter emf to keep the motor from over amping and burning your esc or motor. also if a phase is out then your tune sound can be a little week depending on the esc

SteevyT

Does it do it at all throttle settings? My set up for whatever reason bounces back and forth rather than spinning at the lowest throttle setting if coming up from a stop.

Aran

Does it do it at all throttle settings? My set up for whatever reason bounces back and forth rather than spinning at the lowest throttle setting if coming up from a stop.

Mine is doing the "rocking and ticking thing" at any throttle setting. Will be attempting to fix this evening.

Aran

Hi All, Quick update, last night I re-soldered the three bullet connects from my motor to the ESC and now the Motor powers up fine.

With the dodgy soldered connection in mind, I re-soldered everything! (just in case).

Now a new problem has reared its Ugly head. (I'll create a new thread).

Thanks all for your help.

Tactical Ex

Please link to the new thread when it is up. I am having my own motor issues and resoldering the connectors didn't work. I found out after taking it apart that the wires to one of the windings had become disconnected so I'm sending in for a replacement (not enough talent here yet to rewire it). That being said, I'm hungry to learn more about fixing these things.

adamd

skunkworx hobbies
I find with soldering keeping your tip clean hot and tinned is the way to a nice solder. Remember to put flux on thr two peices and pre tin even if the wire come pre tinned (they might not use the same solder as you!) And the last thing and most importantly patients! Even if you have everything right but rush or wiggle the wire when its settling you can end up with that pointy rough cold joint.