Motors and ESC's

F16V1PER

F16V1PER
New to the rc world? Trying to learn all this stuff about motor and esc's? Or are you just trying to find a good power system for a scrath build? Post all your questions here.

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
Q: How do I select a good motor for my scratchbuilt airplane?

I suppose it depends on the weight of the airplane. High or Low Kv rating? How big prop? How many S?

earthsciteach

My personal favorite resource is HeadsUpRC.com. This is a small hobby shop out of Florida that sells online. I email Jeff with what I have, what kind of performance I desire and he sends me recommendations within a couple of hours. They usually ship your order the day you place it, often within an hour. Prices are competitive with other suppliers. Shipping is flat $2 on packages under a certain size. I think entire airplane kits would be more. Customer service is top notch. Drawback for many-they only ship within the US, to my best knowledge.

Jeffrey Saelee

Airplane Dope
Q: How do I select a good motor for my scratchbuilt airplane?

I suppose it depends on the weight of the airplane.
Look at the reviews, and they usually tell what plane they used it on. then you might be able to look it up, and determine the weight. It also depends on the airframe.
High or Low Kv rating?
The higher the Kv, the faster. Lower Kv, more torque. Lower Kv(under 1200) is better for slow flyer/3D, high Kv(2200+) is for Jets and fast flyers.
How big prop?
The lower the Kv, the bigger the prop is needed. It usually tells the recommended prop, and if not, you can usually look in the reviews.
How many S?
Usually it tells the recommended cell count. The bigger the plane, the more the cells, and EDF jets require more cells for faster speeds.

bmsweb

Site Moderator
I'm also very new to electric flight. A good quality ESC also helps. This is a video of my son's Phoenix 2000 from Hobby King. The ESC failed during flight cutting power to the Receiver. I was lucky to get control back before it hit the deck.