Motors going crazy!!!

cranialrectosis

Faster than a speeding face plant!
Mentor
The board with the six blue wires soldered on the edge has a big tab with large positive and negative solder pads on it.

Is the big tab facing the front or the back of the copter?

cranialrectosis

Mentor
Yep.

On the desk WITH THE PROPS OFF, start motor 1 in your software.

Looking at the copter with the front facing away from you, which motor starts up? Front left, front right, rear left or rear right?

Please do not run motors on your desk with the props on. Please. ;)

PANOS

motor 2 is the left on the front motor 3 is the right on the back and motor 4 is the right on the front

cranialrectosis

Mentor
That means the ESCs are connected to the proper spots but looking at the photo on the store, I'm not sure that the FC wasn't installed upside down.

I am going to have to do some more research on this as I don't own this board.

cranialrectosis

Mentor
It looks to me like the board is right side up but connected backwards somehow.

The photos of the board show m4 in the top left and m1 in the bottom right.

Are you using an 8 pin connector from the ESC to the FC or are these wired individually?

sprzout

Knower of useless information
Mentor
One other question, since you have this flipping over when you try to fly it - do you have the right props on the right motors?

My first quad had the motors set to spin inward, and so the props had to be set to spin in that direction. The second quad I bought, a friend had built it and put it with the motors spinning outward. I put the props on like I would with my original quad, tried to throttle up, and it kept flipping. When I finally looked at it in Betaflight and saw the direction, I switched the props around, and voila, the quad flew smoothly.

cranialrectosis

Mentor
Per the photos of the board on RaceDay Quads, M1 should be right rear, M2 should be right front, M3 should be left rear and M4 should be left front.

From your photo it looks like the board is facing the right direction with the USB on the right side of the copter.

IMO the reason your copter flips is because the motors are not connected to the flight controller in the proper order.

M1 and M2 should be on the right. M3 and M4 on the left. If your copter takes off and the right side is low, the copter will try to spin the right side motors faster to level off. But the motors it thinks are on the right side are on the left side. So the harder the copter works to level off, the faster it will flip.

EDIT: From Bardwell's manual "If you are using a 4-in-1 ESC,verify that the ESC’s plug is compatible with the JBF4’s plug. For Airbot ESCs, the pinout should already match, but you still must verify this! "

CappyAmeric

Elite member
left on the back
With FC facing away from you, the RIGHT back should be motor 1, the RIGHT front should be motor 2, the LEFT back should motor 3 and the LEFT front should be motor 4. From what you say, it appears you have the FC mounted with incorrect orientation, or possibly upside down.

On the JB F4, there is an arrow on the TOP of the board that should face forward in the quad.

If you mounted it correctly and the gyro is working correctly from the SETUP tab in BetaFlight, it is possible that your motor resources are mis- assigned in BetaFlight. If that is the case, it will take 5 minutes in BetaFlight to correctly assign those addresses in the CLI. But before you do that you MUST make sure that the board is correctly aligned and mounted and the gyro is oriented correctly.

CappyAmeric

Elite member
I Hope you can understand the pictures. In the second picture i show you where every wire is soldered
As an aside, the order the 3 wires from each motor connect to the ESC is not important. Most people just line them up for consistency and ascetics. You will likely have to change the motor direction in the ESCs on at least two motors regardless of how you did the wires.

cranialrectosis

Mentor
With FC facing away from you, the RIGHT back should be motor 1, the RIGHT front should be motor 2, the LEFT back should motor 3 and the LEFT front should be motor 4. From what you say, it appears you have the FC mounted with incorrect orientation, or possibly upside down.

On the JB F4, there is an arrow on the TOP of the board that should face forward in the quad.

If you mounted it correctly and the gyro is working correctly from the SETUP tab in BetaFlight, it is possible that your motor resources are mis- assigned in BetaFlight. If that is the case, it will take 5 minutes in BetaFlight to correctly assign those addresses in the CLI. But before you do that you MUST make sure that the board is correctly aligned and mounted and the gyro is oriented correctly.

Per his photos of his quad it appears to me that the board has the micro usb on the right side which would suggest correct orientation.

I believe the board orientation is correct. I think the 8 pin signal connection is not pinned out properly so signal meant for M1 is going to M3.

If I'm right you can probably fix it with a paperclip by pulling the pins out of the connector and slipping them into the proper slots.

cranialrectosis

Mentor
the pinout should match because the esc and the fc come together as a combo

Yeah they should...

But the copter isn't working and Bardwell himself calls out that some wiring harnesses don't match. Check out the top of page 9 the top section "On the Bottom of the Board".
https://www.dropbox.com/s/doppiw4fsojx6x9/RDQ-Bardwell-F4-FC-Manual-v2.1.pdf?dl=0

The wires to each motor need to connect to the board in the proper order. I think you need to move the pins around inside that connector so the motors are connected to the proper signal pin.

In the end you want M1 bottom right, M2 top right, M3 bottom left and M4 top left. M1 and M4 will both spin the same direction and M2 and M3 will both spin the same direction. M1 and M2 will spin opposite directions.

Bifi.baarlo

wait because im confused what pins should i move around where are those pins im noob i dont know :)
Maybe it is easier to change the position of the motorwires on the esc, but you told me a few hours ago that the motors are corresponding with the bar movements on the motortab.