motors overheating...

Im having overheating problems with my latest build during hover all the motors get so hot to the point that they start to smell burnt just after a couple of seconds of hovering around in my house, it hovers just fine and i have played around with PIDs, lowering PIDs made it a little bit better but they still overheat even with too low PIDs
Anyone have a clue what could be wrong?
Im using:
lumenier RX2206-11 2350Kv and TBS Powercube
i knowdest they don't have the smoothest sound.. it sounds like somethings scratching and is really sharp to the ear, i have checked the screws and they are far away from the windings, maybe i just got a bad batch of motors?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E2XtrYcdb-I
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TFjwDyk0Kyk

cranialrectosis

Faster than a speeding face plant!
Mentor
Do the motors get hot without props on?

Are you running 2S, 3S or 4S?

What props are you using?

2350kv motors will pair with 5" or 6" props on 3S and 4" or 5" props on 4S. Running 2300kv motors with 6" props on 4S will almost undoubtedly cause overheating issues.

MototechRyan

Wannabe Jedi
I was having the same issue when I switched to the latest version of betaflight. Upgrading my escs to blheli 14.4 helped some. But in my case I'm guessing betaflight 2.6.1 settings were the cause.

AkimboGlueGuns

Biplane Guy
Mentor
I'm not a MR person by any stretch of the imagination, but I do have experience with motors burning up. If you are running props that are even slightly higher than what the motor can handle then it will throw a fit, have a stroke, seize up, and detonate all at the same time. It's not a happy moment and I've found that over propping is usually the culprit. But again, I'm not a multirotor person, so it could be any number of things. Just my $0.02

Do the motors get hot without props on?

Are you running 2S, 3S or 4S?

What props are you using?

2350kv motors will pair with 5" or 6" props on 3S and 4" or 5" props on 4S. Running 2300kv motors with 6" props on 4S will almost undoubtedly cause overheating issues.

Im running 4S on HQ5x4x3 i've seen many people running these motor-props combo without any problems, problem is mine's are gettong really hot even just after 5 sec of hovering..

I was having the same issue when I switched to the latest version of betaflight. Upgrading my escs to blheli 14.4 helped some. But in my case I'm guessing betaflight 2.6.1 settings were the cause.

yeah i've tried uppdating the firmware with no luck thinking maybe it was software related.. gonne try again when i get the time.

I'm not a MR person by any stretch of the imagination, but I do have experience with motors burning up. If you are running props that are even slightly higher than what the motor can handle then it will throw a fit, have a stroke, seize up, and detonate all at the same time. It's not a happy moment and I've found that over propping is usually the culprit. But again, I'm not a multirotor person, so it could be any number of things. Just my $0.02

i dont think it's the props since i've seen many use this combo, unfortunately i dont have any smaller props to try out.. maybe i'll order some to try.

cranialrectosis

Mentor
Im running 4S on HQ5x4x3 i've seen many people running these motor-props combo without any problems, problem is mine's are gettong really hot even just after 5 sec of hovering..

Well, I gotta ask the obvious because you never really know.. :)

Yeah 5x4x3 on 4S on 2206 2350s should be fine. I would suspect an ESC problem too.

hmmm. I'll take a look after work.

Well, I gotta ask the obvious because you never really know.. :)

Yeah 5x4x3 on 4S on 2206 2350s should be fine. I would suspect an ESC problem too.

hmmm. I'll take a look after work.

you think maybe i got a faulty cube? maybe it was damaged when i got it, i wont save the accelerometer calibration, if i calibrate and then unplug then plug in the calibration will be off again.

please do, thanks.

MototechRyan

Wannabe Jedi
I'm running a lux fc and read a post on fpvlab by some peeps having the same problem with the lux fc and betaflight. I think the solution was to turn off one shot, calibrate escs, then turn one shot back on.

Last edited:
I'm running a lux fc and read a post on fpvlab by some peeps having the same problem with the lux fc and betaflight. I think the solution was to turn off one shot, calibrate escs, then turn one shot back on.

what do you mean by lux fc? luxfloat pid controller? i have this issue with all controllers it seems.. intressting, could you post the link to that post? i could'nt find that many with this problem. i gonna try that!:)

Topdawg

This may sound like a dumb question, but it has been known to happen. How long are the screws that hold your motors to the arms. They could be the cause of it.

This may sound like a dumb question, but it has been known to happen. How long are the screws that hold your motors to the arms. They could be the cause of it.

yeah wish the solution was that simple but unfortunately it is not.. i can clearly see they are far away from the windings or anything else..

MototechRyan

Wannabe Jedi
what do you mean by lux fc? luxfloat pid controller? i have this issue with all controllers it seems.. intressting, could you post the link to that post? i could'nt find that many with this problem. i gonna try that!:)

I'm referring to the flight control board made by Lumenier that they named the Lux. Not the lux float pid controller. Confusing i know, lol .

Here's the link you requested, its at the end of post #216. Basically the gyro loop times have been suspected of causing problems when trying to calibrate escs.

http://fpvlab.com/forums/showthread...-Controller-STM32F303-32-bit-processor/page22

More about it here:
https://github.com/borisbstyle/betaflight/wiki/Frequently-Asked-Questions#what-is-2khz-mode-

Could be alot of things causing your motor problem, just thought I'd mention my recent experience cause my motors would stutter bad and heat up really quick until I updated the escs and recalibrated after turning off one shot.

Last edited:

cranialrectosis

Mentor
I did some digging. I don't know that this will help other than to say it isn't a Lux FC. The flight controller is called a Calibri Race and is supported by Trappy on FPV Labs. I don't see any references to overheating in the last few weeks.

Do the motors get hot when you run them with the props off?

Are these your motors?

They have a limit of 16A continuous which is surprising to me. Cobras have a 25A limit. Cobras are also lower KV making them less prone to draw 25A.

Still I would expect a 5" prop to be fine even a tri-blade. Do you have a watt meter? Can you test the draw with those props on?

What does your copter weigh when it is in the air?

Last edited:

so i tried calibrating them this way, during calibration though only the front motors ( 2 and 4) are twitching howeever all of them are beeping, should that matter? i think it got a little bit better now i've turned down the PIDs even more, i can hover for about a full minute and they get a little bit warm but not super hot anymore. i might try a longer fligh later today with causion if i dare.

Last edited:
I'm referring to the flight control board made by Lumenier that they named the Lux. Not the lux float pid controller. Confusing i know, lol .

Here's the link you requested, its at the end of post #216. Basically the gyro loop times have been suspected of causing problems when trying to calibrate escs.

http://fpvlab.com/forums/showthread...-Controller-STM32F303-32-bit-processor/page22

More about it here:
https://github.com/borisbstyle/betaflight/wiki/Frequently-Asked-Questions#what-is-2khz-mode-

Could be alot of things causing your motor problem, just thought I'd mention my recent experience cause my motors would stutter bad and heat up really quick until I updated the escs and recalibrated after turning off one shot.

thx, i'll look in to that. glad to hear you could fix it! the calibration sems to have helped, we'll see later today when i test it outside after work.. gonna try uppdating the escs aswell.

I did some digging. I don't know that this will help other than to say it isn't a Lux FC. The flight controller is called a Calibri Race and is supported by Trappy on FPV Labs. I don't see any references to overheating in the last few weeks.

Do the motors get hot when you run them with the props off?

Are these your motors?

They have a limit of 16A continuous which is surprising to me. Cobras have a 25A limit. Cobras are also lower KV making them less prone to draw 25A.

Still I would expect a 5" prop to be fine even a tri-blade. Do you have a watt meter? Can you test the draw with those props on?

What does your copter weigh when it is in the air?
does the lux FC also run clearflight? maybe it's a similar software problem.. i've hread another guy the same motors an powercube as i who also suffered from overheating motors and it was because the stockPIDs were waay to high.. but lowering the pid did'nt seem to help for me until i calibrated aafter turning oneshot off now, they are a little less warm, gonna test flight later, stay tuned!

and yes they were overheating even without props, not as fast though, yes those are the ones.
yes i have. i,ll check the motor ampdraw if the problem persist today.. not sure about the weight, cant't check right now i'm at work but it hovers and 40% throttle so should'nt be that bad

More about it here:

but did you turn down looptime to 125 before recalibrating? that seems extremely low? what aboutthe value just beneath looptime vaue in cleanflight, what is that?