motors? servos? confusion!

RipAir

hello!

im just testing every thing out before i finally put every thing together

ive got the ESC's connected to the F3 via the servo ports
Capture.JPG

and since it states in the manual, to configure the servo ports before use - i just incrementally set the according channels in the servo tab of cleanflight
Capture.JPG

now ive tried to play around with the above settings and change:
- the motors direction of rotation (by changing "direction and rate")
- the numbering (ie make motor 3 to motor 1)

but none of these settings seem to have any effect, even when trying to restart the whole thing manually
(the motors do spin though, so that doesnt seem to be an issue)

any one have a hint as to what i could be misinterpreting? :confused:

thanks!

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
Rip, What are you trying to do?

This screen is to control SERVOS, not ESCs. As you've seen in the manual, you first have to set the channel to be setup as a servo (not a motor), then this page can have an effect. Otherwise, ESCs are controlled via the motor page.

I think you're overthinking this. You setup ESCs by picking the model, then limits are setup in the box to the left in that tab (min/middle/max throttle for the "on" range, Min command for the "off" setting). Select your model type, calibrate/test in the motors tab, then come back to the config tab to readjust the mins.

RipAir

hmmm! so the only way to invert the motors rotation is by wiring the motor accordingly?
or can i change the wiring between ESC and FC too?

cranialrectosis

Faster than a speeding face plant!
Mentor
The only way to change the direction of a motor is in the ESC (KISS ESCs have a jumper you can cross) or to re-solder the leads from the motor to the ESC. Just swap any two leads and the direction reverses. You aren't going to reverse motor direction on the FC.

You do not need the servo tab for ANYTHING unless you are running servos, such as with a tricopter.

You only have one signal wire from an ESC to the FC. Swapping anything here isn't going to work and may result in a bright blue flash and a cloud of smoke that lingers for days.

RipAir

damn! i was hoping there was a way, since all the cables are very short and my fingers are huge in comparison :D

but cheers for your help guys!

cranialrectosis

Mentor
After you do this a few times, you learn to build the copter by crossing leads on two opposing booms and keeping the leads straight on the other two. Then when you get into config you just tell the FC which way the motors spin.

Check out Chad's Alien build on Rotor Riot. He walks you through how to know which way things will spin before you connect to the FC.

You can't change the direction of the motors in CF. But in some ground station software (like dRonin) you can tell the FC which direction the motors do spin. You can't reverse a specific motor but if you get all 4 exactly backwards, you just flip a switch and the FC "gets it".

RipAir

true, first time is always more exhausting ;)

but ive already seen chad's video twice, it was the part about the pads being called servo connectors that got me off the course :p on the other hand i prefer to understand, rather than just do whats being shown and not understand a thing :)

Last edited:

cranialrectosis

Mentor
true, first time is always more exhausting ;)

but ive already seen chad's video twice, it was the part about the pads being called servo connectors that got me off the course :p on the other hand i prefer to understand, rather than just do whats being shown and not understand a thing :)

Makes sense. This is the hobby for you. :)

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
One thing to mention... You can reflashing some ESCs through the control board via blhelisuite. If you can, it has a reverse direction option.

So... Which ESCs are you flying?

RipAir

dude... your awesome! thank you! :D

in case others might need it:
https://youtu.be/vco3gyC9dgQ?list=PLO1RSSr4MMYt7_RlHUhV-anpkJdSlO7nq

even wanted to try bidirectional :p but guess ill leave that for now

only thing i didnt find in detail (yet), is the implications of the simon k boot loader (which i seem to have)
some guys are saying that it would have to be overwritten with an arduino etc
but i still seem to be able to read/write the ESC setups

Last edited:

Habakkukk

Fly Eagles, Fly!
As long as you have a boot loader(either blheli or simonk) on your esc's you can flash them through the blheli suite via usb and cleanflight. It's probably the most convenient addition to multirotor building since the soldering iron. If you've ever done them manually you'll know what I'm saying... Some esc's don't have a boot loader (emax 12a come to mind) and must first be flashed with one using an arduino, hours of farting around with a clothes pin and the steady hand of a surgeon (not really but it's a pain.)
Sounds like your esc's come preloaded with a bootlader and are therefore able to connect to the blheli suit via usb ��