Motors won't run in sync on FT Mini Guinea build

Tronglodon

My son is building this Flite Test Mini Guinea plane and is trying to get both motors to run in sync. We're having a problem where the motors are in sync for the bottom half of the throttle but not the top half. Does anyone have any idea how we can fix this problem? Or do we have a faulty esc or motor?

b-29er

Could be a few things. you might check how your wiring looks, one of the local guys at my field had an issue with the wires to the transmitter being too close to the ESC and motor and getting EMF, though that was a far more potent motor than the one on the mini guinea. If thats the case, try to re-package the receiver wiring so it isnt close to the motor/esc. Other than that, you may have a bad ESC, or somethings up with your motor. Good way to check would be to switch escs and see if the problem follows the ESC, the motor, or goes away.

Tronglodon

Good ideas, although I doubt we have electrical interference to the receiver especially since everything is so spread out during these tests here. It's a good idea to swap the two motors though and see if the problem follows the motor or stays in the same side, in which case it's probably something wrong with the ESC.

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
Good ideas, although I doubt we have electrical interference to the receiver especially since everything is so spread out during these tests here. It's a good idea to swap the two motors though and see if the problem follows the motor or stays in the same side, in which case it's probably something wrong with the ESC.
The esc would be my first thing to replace...

Tronglodon

Yes I calibrated both ESCs together.

Are there any ESC settings that might need to be changed? I've never done anything other than calibrating the throttle range by putting the throttle stick all the way up when plugging in the ESC then pulling it down after the beeps.

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
Yes I calibrated both ESCs together.

Are there any ESC settings that might need to be changed? I've never done anything other than calibrating the throttle range by putting the throttle stick all the way up when plugging in the ESC then pulling it down after the beeps.
I have no idea about ESC settings - I've only calibrated the throttle range as well.

Tronglodon

Update, I swapped the motors and the problem followed the motor. So obviously there is something wrong with that motor. I opened it up and didn't see anything obviously wrong with it, pulled on the three main wires and they all seem solid, resoldered the bullet connectors, but nothing made any difference. I would like to adjust the timing of the ESC's to see if that helps, but there doesn't appear to be any way to program the flite test branded ESCs, aside from throttle calibration.