Motors won't spin up

B-MAN

I built my self an ft dart and for now the motors are connected with a y harness.
The left motor spins up fine on 2 and 3s the right motor only spins up on 2s. They are the same motors and esc's but for some reason the right won't spin up. I'm not sure if it's a busted esc but if anyone has seen this please let me know.

randyrls

Randy
With twin motors you only want the power from ONE BEC powering the receiver. Disconnect the power lead from one of the BECs and insulate it with electrical tape. There are several videos on FT that show how to do this. Look for FT Cruiser SUPPLEMENTAL video at about 9:00 minutes into the video.

B-MAN

T
With twin motors you only want the power from ONE BEC powering the receiver. Disconnect the power lead from one of the BECs and insulate it with electrical tape. There are several videos on FT that show how to do this. Look for FT Cruiser SUPPLEMENTAL video at about 9:00 minutes into the video.
Thanks I'll give it a try. If it works you are a godsend man.

B-MAN

Tried what you said and still the right doesn't work. It tries to spin making that weird noise it makes when the prop is stuck on something. But it will not spin up

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Did you recalibrate the throttle after didconnecting the second power feed to the receiver?

mrjdstewart

Legendary member
there was an AMA article recently about not disconnecting the other BEC wire. they said it was ok to run with both. since reading it i have done 3 diff planes with dual motors and kept the BEC connected, no problems yet. plus, if i decide to strip the plane later, i don't have to mess with reattaching the lead to re-use the esc.

having built 3 darts now, i will say they look simple but they aren't. you really need to pay attention. did you program diff thrust? how did you wire the power board? what programming did you do in Tx?

as for the 2S or 3S motors, which are you using? if you use the H-pack these do not care. if they are getting hot, you need to look at the load (prop) or bad wiring.

good luck,

me :cool:

mrjdstewart

Legendary member
wait...are you using aircraft esc's or quad esc's?

we really need to know what you are using to be able to help. please remember to add as much info as possible in your first post. it will save us all a lot of time, and you a lot of heart ache.

good luck,

B-MAN

there was an AMA article recently about not disconnecting the other BEC wire. they said it was ok to run with both. since reading it i have done 3 diff planes with dual motors and kept the BEC connected, no problems yet. plus, if i decide to strip the plane later, i don't have to mess with reattaching the lead to re-use the esc.

having built 3 darts now, i will say they look simple but they aren't. you really need to pay attention. did you program diff thrust? how did you wire the power board? what programming did you do in Tx?

as for the 2S or 3S motors, which are you using? if you use the H-pack these do not care. if they are getting hot, you need to look at the load (prop) or bad wiring.

good luck,

my transmitter is not able to do differential thrust so I have it on a y harness. As for the motors they should be 3s but they get really hot really quick.

B-MAN

wait...are you using aircraft esc's or quad esc's?

we really need to know what you are using to be able to help. please remember to add as much info as possible in your first post. it will save us all a lot of time, and you a lot of heart ache.

good luck,

Thanks for the advice. They are quad esc's. Does that make a difference in how they spin up a motor

DamoRC

Elite member
Mentor
So I think we are still missing key info.

1104 motor? Which one - can you post a link or the specs (Kv etc)
What props are you running?
What ESCs are you running?

The "stuck on something" noise could be a broken connection between the ESC and motor. Have you tried switching them round (i.e. run the problem motor with the other's ESC and vice versa). This would help isolate the problem to either the motor or the ESC.

It might do this if it was overpropped but hard to say without the other info listed above.

DamoRC

B-MAN

So I think we are still missing key info.

1104 motor? Which one - can you post a link or the specs (Kv etc)
What props are you running?
What ESCs are you running?

The "stuck on something" noise could be a broken connection between the ESC and motor. Have you tried switching them round (i.e. run the problem motor with the other's ESC and vice versa). This would help isolate the problem to either the motor or the ESC.

It might do this if it was overpropped but hard to say without the other info listed above.

DamoRC
1104 motors
7500 kv
Gemfan flash 2540 3 blade props
12a Mr. Rc quad speed controller simonk firmware
Connected with a y harness with only 1 power wire. Simple pdb I don't have specs for or a name on. Rated for 6s 60a no regulators or voltage dividers.

DamoRC

Elite member
Mentor
1104 motors
7500 kv
Gemfan flash 2540 3 blade props
12a Mr. Rc quad speed controller simonk firmware
Connected with a y harness with only 1 power wire. Simple pdb I don't have specs for or a name on. Rated for 6s 60a no regulators or voltage dividers.

Thanks! Provided you have the 3S capable version of the motor, seems like you are not over propping with the 2540 props. Did you try swapping the ESCs to isolate if it is an ESC or motor problem?

DamoRC

B-MAN

Thanks! Provided you have the 3S capable version of the motor, seems like you are not over propping with the 2540 props. Did you try swapping the ESCs to isolate if it is an ESC or motor problem?

DamoRC
It did seam to be a motor problem. Switching the motors completely fixed the problem on 2s. The motor that was on the left(now on the right) still won't spin up on 3s. I think that 1 or both of the motors I bought was incorrectly labeled. They get really hot on 3s so I am going to have to stick to 2s until I can find 3s ones. Thanks to everyone for helping me out with this and for your advice. Has anyone seen 2 identical motors do this before.