Solved Motors?

Hey guys, I'm looking to build the guinea pig and add the bomb drop to it but I cant afford the motors buy any means. Really im needing to get both of them for no more than $30. Do you guys have any suggestions on good cheap one that can handle a 10x5 prop?

FDS

Elite member
You will spend $15 - 20 or so per motor on any reliable one. You need a 2218 1100kv or close, don’t go more than 1100kv but you could go up or down one motor size. The Emax 2218 is $20 each, that’s the only other commonly available one that size. The cheap gold coloured 2212/1100kv motors you see on eBay are really horrible IMO, buying those is a waste of money, despite them being cheap.
The Racerstar 2212 is about the cheapest vaguely OK one, it’s not much better than the gold no brand ones. That’s going to provide less thrust than the bigger one, you could go for a 2822 1100kv, which is bigger and heavier but more powerful, so would give you slightly better payload carrying. The Emax 2218 1100kv is what used to be in the non radial power pack.
You don’t need the motors until right at the end of the build, if you have the rest you can build it all and add them at the end, just be sure you have adequate ESC’s for what you want.

You will spend $15 - 20 or so per motor on any reliable one. You need a 2218 1100kv or close, don’t go more than 1100kv but you could go up or down one motor size. The Emax 2218 is $20 each, that’s the only other commonly available one that size. The cheap gold coloured 2212/1100kv motors you see on eBay are really horrible IMO, buying those is a waste of money, despite them being cheap.
The Racerstar 2212 is about the cheapest vaguely OK one, it’s not much better than the gold no brand ones. That’s going to provide less thrust than the bigger one, you could go for a 2822 1100kv, which is bigger and heavier but more powerful, so would give you slightly better payload carrying. The Emax 2218 1100kv is what used to be in the non radial power pack.
You don’t need the motors until right at the end of the build, if you have the rest you can build it all and add them at the end, just be sure you have adequate ESC’s for what you want.
So when it comes down to Kv, does lower Kv mean it can handle bigger props? Thats one thing that has always confused me with motors. I know that the first number has to do with the stator height and diameter.

FDS

Elite member
The bigger the prop the slower you want to spin it, pitch also factors into it and what efficiency you want. For example if you want screaming top speed and weren’t bothered about efficiency you would go with a smaller prop spun really fast.
Generally a big prop spun slow is more efficient than a small prop spun fast. Big tall motors with low KV are good for long slow props.
All props have an RPM range where they generate the most thrust with greatest efficiency, so you would pick a KV that hits that rpm with your preferred battery voltage, that’s why 6s quads run lower KV motors than 4s ones, with the same props.

The bigger the prop the slower you want to spin it, pitch also factors into it and what efficiency you want. For example if you want screaming top speed and weren’t bothered about efficiency you would go with a smaller prop spun really fast.
Generally a big prop spun slow is more efficient than a small prop spun fast. Big tall motors with low KV are good for long slow props.
All props have an RPM range where they generate the most thrust with greatest efficiency, so you would pick a KV that hits that rpm with your preferred battery voltage, that’s why 6s quads run lower KV motors than 4s ones, with the same props.
Ok that clears things up a good bit for me then. I kinda figured that was the case, just wasnt sure. Motors are one of those things that can be pretty confusing. For some reason I understand FC's better than motors :LOL:

Also could some one please explain to me what is up with so many of the motors i find having shafts that look like this motor https://hobbyking.com/en_us/brushless-motor-d2826-1100kv-turnigy.html
Actually let me rephrase that, how does the prop stay on on a shaft like that? Does it have a special kind of lock nut? I'm only askign becuase I've never seen, nor used these kinds, I'm used to the standard 5mm nut on the end of the shaft. Also @FDS is this the Emax motor you were talking about for the maximum power? https://www.amainhobbies.com/emax-cf2822-1200kv-brushless-motor-emx-mt-0487/p694265

FDS

Elite member
The motors with the shafts shown usually have a hub that bolts onto the stator to carry the prop.
The quad type ones just use a nylock nut.
The Emax one you linked I have not used, it’s not the one from the old FT power pack.

dayve

For budget motors, I second the Racerstar suggestion, but a slightly different model. I've been flying my Sea Duck for two years with a pair of RacerStar BR2212 1000KV motors. They're $4.85 from Banggood's China warehouse right now! I fly with 9x4.5 props on either 3S or 4S. The 1000KV model says you can use 10" props on 3S. Since I run 9x4.5 on 4S just fine, I'd believe that.

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
Hey guys, I'm looking to build the guinea pig and add the bomb drop to it but I cant afford the motors buy any means. Really im needing to get both of them for no more than $30. Do you guys have any suggestions on good cheap one that can handle a 10x5 prop?
Go with these emax motors. https://store.flitetest.com/emax-mt2213935-935kv-brushless-motor-emx-mt-1534/p733346
They even come with the 10x4.5 props. They ship from flitetest store so you can choose faster shipping if you need them before the cheap option. They cost $32 which is the cheapest you’ll get quality for imo. In the power pack compatibly pdf found in the resources section, it had the guinea pig compatible with the old b pack which is what these motors are from. Good luck - bomb drop sounds fun! Post some vid if you can!

For budget motors, I second the Racerstar suggestion, but a slightly different model. I've been flying my Sea Duck for two years with a pair of RacerStar BR2212 1000KV motors. They're $4.85 from Banggood's China warehouse right now! I fly with 9x4.5 props on either 3S or 4S. The 1000KV model says you can use 10" props on 3S. Since I run 9x4.5 on 4S just fine, I'd believe that.
I beleive they are good motors, it's just I absolutely refuse to use banggood. Plus I need to get my order in less than a week so I can get this big bird in the sky for a club event

Go with these emax motors. https://store.flitetest.com/emax-mt2213935-935kv-brushless-motor-emx-mt-1534/p733346
They even come with the 10x4.5 props. They ship from flitetest store so you can choose faster shipping if you need them before the cheap option. They cost $32 which is the cheapest you’ll get quality for imo. In the power pack compatibly pdf found in the resources section, it had the guinea pig compatible with the old b pack which is what these motors are from. Good luck - bomb drop sounds fun! Post some vid if you can!
Thank for the link! I'll see if can get some video from a few different angles. Some guys are probably gonna be doing some chase quad footage so I'll ask some of my guys with the H7 Blacks to do some chase footage and some people on ground aswell!

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
Thank for the link! I'll see if can get some video from a few different angles. Some guys are probably gonna be doing some chase quad footage so I'll ask some of my guys with the H7 Blacks to do some chase footage and some people on ground aswell!
So you’re going to go with these motors? They might not be able to carry a ton of stuff, but they should be able to fly the plane + a light load 😀