Mountain Model P-51 "Twilight Tear" Build

jsknockoff

Mentor
I just realized how discouraging my last post sounded, lol! I feel confident yours will turn out okay. Also I really like the green on the wheel wells.

Turbojoe

Elite member
That's looking great! I have to wonder what your weight is at this stage. All that sheeting and paint had to add a few ounces. The extra weight will make it handle the wind better though!

Joe

ranger351

Warbird Crazy!
So the paint portion has be the most trying part of this build! I haven't been this frustrated on a project for awhile almost to the point of giving up! I'm not sure what happened but it's like the silver paint I used didn't cure properly. So I'm in the middle of stripping all the paint from the plane and will have to start over. I don't think I did anything wrong with the application. The primer, sealer and silver were all the same brand and should have been compatible. It wasn't like you couldn't handle it without leaving marks in the paint but when you did touch it your hands would turn silver. It just felt soft. Even thou It didn't feel right I continued. I tried a technique I found on You Tube were you take a soldering iron and make rivets and panel lines. Then I scuffed it to give it the weathered look. Hoping that scuffing it would also help it dry properly. It actually looked great! It wasn't till I tried to tape off too spray the other colors to the plane is when I realized it wasn't gonna work! What happened is when you took the masking off it would damage the silver it wouldn't pull it from the sealer it would just leave marks on the silver and anything I sprayed over the silver wouldn't adhere. I can't get myself to post pictures of the current state of the plane. It looks horrible right now! Hopefully as I progress and it looks like it will be salvageable I will.

ranger351

Warbird Crazy!
Here are a couple pics of what is looked like before I found out it wasn't gonna work. I liked the way it was turning out!

20170208_101748-3024x2268.jpg

20170208_095425-3024x2268.jpg

Ricci

Posted a thousand or more times
Really nice Aluminum Finish! I'm wondering what a nice Result with a Rattle can.

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Beautiful looking build pre-paint disaster. At least you got some good pictures of just how great it all worked out at that stage :)

What brand of paints were you using? I want to make sure and avoid them for anything metallic...

Thanks,

ranger351

Warbird Crazy!
The paint was Krylon Maxx Silver Aluminum. It had the right look I'm just not sure what went wrong? I think I will do a test panel with the same paint and a couple others silvers and see how they turn out before I blame the paint completely! I've heard silver metallics can be finicky thou. I didn't plan on using this paint I actually had another color picked out that matched the silver solite covering. But since I didn't end up covering anything on the plane at the last minute I decided to go with something that looked more like aluminum. Lesson learned I should have tested it out before applying it to the plane!

Turbojoe

Elite member
What a shame the paint didn't work. It looks amazing. Especially with the rivets and panel lines. Krylon is "usually" good stuff. Everything I've ever painted rattle can silver had a finish that rubbed off. Tried shooting clear over it and it always dulls silver to a weird dark grayish color. Maybe try an automotive silver like Dupli-Color?

Joe

TexMechsRobot

Posted a thousand or more times
Best silver in the house is the Alcad II stuff. But it's expensive, requires a ton of prep work, and is geared more for the scale model community. I think it'd be too heavy in the quantities required for a largish R/C. Have you ever tried metal foil?

ranger351

Warbird Crazy!
What a shame the paint didn't work. It looks amazing. Especially with the rivets and panel lines. Krylon is "usually" good stuff. Everything I've ever painted rattle can silver had a finish that rubbed off. Tried shooting clear over it and it always dulls silver to a weird dark grayish color. Maybe try an automotive silver like Dupli-Color?

Joe

Yes! I tried clearing over a small part to see what would happen. Thats exactly what it did kinda melted it causing fish eyes and turned it dark gray! Good Idea Dupi-Color might be a good option! I'm using model master paint for the other colors so I was thinking about using the aluminum color they have.

ranger351

Warbird Crazy!
Best silver in the house is the Alcad II stuff. But it's expensive, requires a ton of prep work, and is geared more for the scale model community. I think it'd be too heavy in the quantities required for a largish R/C. Have you ever tried metal foil?

Thats funny you say that about the foil! I was just watching videos using the foil technique! Another great option to try.

ranger351

Warbird Crazy!
Here's were I'm at with the MM P-51D

20170428_164008-3024x2268.jpg

Ran into a size issue with the decals. Will be doing decals and weathering soon.
20170428_164047-3024x2268.jpg

20170428_164052-3024x2268.jpg

SlingShot

Maneuvering With Purpose
Very nice! What would you say now would be the best way to go for easy and rugged retracts?

ranger351

Warbird Crazy!
I'm quite new to retracts! I've been flying a parkzone P-47d with electric retracts and like them very much. I've had a couple hard landings that have bend the gear wires back a bit but have been able to straighten them back with little effort. I have yet to fly the MM P-51d with the air retracts but I do like the size, construction and the way they work.
20170428_164458-3024x2268.jpg

YooperJon

Ranger,
That's a beautiful plane. Can it be built in the P-51-B/C version. There is nothing wrong with the D variant, but that's what most of the P-51 kit are sold as. My Uncle initially flew a P-51B (actually a P-47, then the P-51) during the war, but then they all eventually got transferred to the D version. Aesthetically I prefer the built up canopy of the "B".