Mountain Models Eva Bipe

Noob

My workbench is cleaned off and a new plane has found it way to the bench!

Eva Bipe Start.JPG

With the completion of the P-51, it is time to start a new project. This will be my build log of the Mountain Models Eva Bipe. With all the snow and cold weather here in Michigan it is giving me a lot of time to build. This will be my third balsa build. I already feel like I have learned a ton and the second build went much better than my first. I hope this one will go smoothly. At this rate I will have a ton of maidens to do this summer and I am sure I will not lack in things to fly :cool:

bliss224

Looking forward to this one. I saw this on mountain model's website and was really interested. Great job on that p51 by the way!! It looks awesome.

Joker 53150

Mmmmmmm, balsa.
Mentor
Did you get bit by the Balsa Bug or the Mountain Models Bug? :) The EVA looks like a fun kit, and it gives you a lot of options. For those who aren't familiar with it, EVA means "Extremely Versatile Aircraft". The basic fuselage accepts three different wing options:

1. The Sport Wing is a 41" wing with about 6.25 oz/sq ft loading for easier/calmer flight characteristics. It looks like there is a little dihedral with this wing choice.
2. The 3D wing is 32" and goes up to about 8 oz/sq ft loading. It appears this wing is also symmetrical with no dihedral.
3. The Bipe wing is 31" and drops the loading back down to around 6.25 oz/sq ft.

Like a few other their other planes, you can use one fuselage with multiple wings giving you completely different flight characteristics without buying an entirely new plane.

While their instructions aren't perfect, they are certainly better than most. In this case, the EVA fuselage alone gets a 20 page manual WRITTEN IN ENGLISH, with plenty of pictures.

http://www.mountainmodels.com/images/manuals/evafuse.pdf

It's enough to spoil a guy!

AkimboGlueGuns

Biplane Guy
Mentor
No chinglish? Blasphemy of the highest order!

I'm glad there are still a few companies that make their stuff on the US.

Joker 53150

Mmmmmmm, balsa.
Mentor
No kidding, try going from a MM kit straight to a typical Hobby King kit...! And as you probably know, the MM kits are made close by you in Appleton. Formerly Colorado which explains the name.

Turbojoe

Elite member
If I lived as close as you there'd be a restraining order against me.
ROFLMAO!

My all time favorite is the EVA Sport but the bipe is a ton of fun. I wanted to do something different with mine and cut the 3D style tail feathers off, enlarged and scratchbuilt SwitchBack tail feathers for it. I like the looks of the more rounded parts. Did the mod many months ago and still haven't maidened her. It's all MM design so I know she'll fly just fine.

This is a sweet building kit. Just make sure you fit the cowl to the fuse BEFORE you cover. It's very tight and you'll have to do some sanding at the front. You'll also want to put some thin ply between the landing gear and the fuse sheeting or the sheet will compress in time and the gear will loosen. You'll see what I'm talking about when you get to that area.

One other thing. Overpower the CRAP out of it! The two wings cause a lot of drag and you want no less than 200 watts for those vertical climbs 'til you just can't see it anymore! The bipe is a crazy fun aerobatic version that goes from mild on low rates to wild on high rates. You'll love it!

Joe

Joker 53150

Mmmmmmm, balsa.
Mentor
Truth be told, Joe, I'm still only 2 hours away from Brian, so I'm pretty lazy for a stalker. :) Akimbo is about 45 minutes from him. If I was that close I'd "accidentally" be there regularly trading paychecks for balsa.

Noob

I think I just have the balsa build in general. I got both the P-51 and the EVA Bipe as a Christmas gift from my wife. In fact I think I have the RC Plane bug in general. I think I am already planning like at least 5 flying objects into the future. I just really enjoy the build. I have built almost all the planes offered so far by Flite Test but building balsa is a whole other level. I just love it. I feel like I am learning so much with each build that I complete. I am already considering which plane I want to build from plans only. Again this might be at least 5 planes out but it is already in my thoughts.

Noob

ROFLMAO!

My all time favorite is the EVA Sport but the bipe is a ton of fun. I wanted to do something different with mine and cut the 3D style tail feathers off, enlarged and scratchbuilt SwitchBack tail feathers for it. I like the looks of the more rounded parts. Did the mod many months ago and still haven't maidened her. It's all MM design so I know she'll fly just fine.

This is a sweet building kit. Just make sure you fit the cowl to the fuse BEFORE you cover. It's very tight and you'll have to do some sanding at the front. You'll also want to put some thin ply between the landing gear and the fuse sheeting or the sheet will compress in time and the gear will loosen. You'll see what I'm talking about when you get to that area.

One other thing. Overpower the CRAP out of it! The two wings cause a lot of drag and you want no less than 200 watts for those vertical climbs 'til you just can't see it anymore! The bipe is a crazy fun aerobatic version that goes from mild on low rates to wild on high rates. You'll love it!

Joe

Based on your comments I think I have a good motor. I ordered it about the same time as I got the motor for the P-51. I got this motor from hobby king http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/..._Brushless_Outrunner_Motor_AR_Warehouse_.html

It says it has 243 watts. I can't wait to see them both in the air. I just need this weather to break now so that I can stay outside for more than 2 minutes without freezing.

Noob

Just started the fuselage this evening. So far this is another great kit by Mountain Models. Very good and detailed instructions and the pieces all fit together very easily. I am expanding my horizons a little as I used epoxy on a model for the first time as it was recommended for the landing gear area. I definitely see where you are talking about reinforcing Joe. I will be sure to do that when the time comes to putting the landing gear on. Here are some pictures of the progress so far. Not very exciting yet but it is progress so that is positive!

Fuselage 1.JPG

Fuselage 2.JPG

Noob

This build seems to be going slow but I am making progress. I find myself going slower with this kit as each part is not labeled. Even with the parts not individually numbered it is still a very easy and smooth kit so far. Everything just falls into place and fits perfectly together. This kit does have more sanding then any other kit I have built do far. I am pretty happy with how it has come out so far.

At this point in the instructions it is ready to cover the fuselage. I have not gotten my covering yet but am thinking about going with a blue base with gold/yellow trim. I am just waiting another week or so for the funds for me to go to the hobby store.

Anyway here are some pictures of my progress so far!

Elevator.JPG

Fusalage with canopy.JPG

Motor Mount.JPG

Rudder.JPG

Turbojoe

Elite member
You're moving right along. Looks great! When you get to the wings and start sheeting the leading edges heed the warnings in the manual and make absolutely certain you keep the wings flat as you glue the sheeting. If you have a warp when you sheet it's there until you rip it off, repair the damage and start again. Don't worry, it's not hard. You just need to pay close attention to what you are doing. Once complete the wings are incredibly stiff and well worth the extra minute or two it takes to ensure you glue them up straight. This goes for all three wing sets.

Joe

Turbojoe

Elite member
Oh, don't forget to sand the nose of the fuse for the cowl to fit. You could also add tri-stock or even small blocks of wood to the firewall to screw the cowl to and sand it for a nice butt joint to the fuse if that's what you would prefer. In any case fit the cowl before covering the fuse.

Joe

MikeBg

I received the EVA sport two weeks ago and finally got time to do the build. The fuselage went together nice, didn't make too many mistakes. But when I got to the end of the wing the instructions have you assemble the aileron as a flat square of balsa and attach it with packing tape... wait what? Packing tape?? I really don't want to do it that way but not sure what to do. Any suggestions?? Also, I would like to upgrade the wing to the bipe but now I am not so sure. Noob, what is the bipe wing like?

Dscn2143sm.jpg

MikeBg

Turbojoe

Elite member
Tape works just fine. I even use tape and covering for hinges on my 54" Tyro 150 on all control surfaces including the flap mod I did on the wing. Splitting the thin T.E. and aileron to use any kind of hinge be it pinned or CA type on the EVA I feel would compromise the integrity of the design. All three of my EVA wing sets use tape and they're many years old and still holding strong. I use Scotch brand "Gloss finish Multitask tape" because it grips like crazy and is crystal clear. Been using it forever.

Joe

Joker 53150

Mmmmmmm, balsa.
Mentor
I've used 3-M Blenderm tape for a while and really like it. It's flexible, cheap, and sticks very well. Hobby King and other places sell it.