Mountain Models Eva Bipe

Noob

Any suggestions?? Also, I would like to upgrade the wing to the bipe but now I am not so sure. Noob, what is the bipe wing like?

View attachment 42340

MikeBg

I have not gotten to the wings yet. The instructions do say to use tape for the elevator and rudder as well. I was planning on using a covering hing on all the surfaces. I used that on the mountain models P-51 that I recently completed and really like how they turned out.

MikeBg

Here is how the EVA Sport turned out, still have a few things to do. The tail wheel came out too short and the rudder drags the ground. Also, still have to install the motor and electronics.

DSCN2147.JPG
DSCN2149.JPG

MikeBg

Joker 53150

Mmmmmmm, balsa.
Mentor
Nicely done, now all we need is a flight report!

Was the tail wheel your fault or were the plans wrong? Any general thoughts on the product, difficulty of build, etc?

MikeBg

There are pros and cons to the kit. The short tail wheel was my fault, I cut the wire too short. You are suppose to make the tail wheel out of push rod wire but the wire he gives you is very small, .6mm. I used 1.5mm wire I have on-hand, just made it too short. I definitely don't like the way he does the ailerons, I re-did those. Also, didn't like the way he mounted the aileron servos so I made a servo box. All-in-all it is a very nice kit but some things were disappointing. I think he cuts corners to save on coast.

MikeBg

Noob

I have been really bad about updating on my progress lately. I got a little side tracked with a MXP 230 and have been more of just browsing on the forums the last few months. I have however almost completed the Eva Bipe. I thought it was a easy kit to go together. Ask MikeBg pointed out I did not like the idea of just using tape with the control surfaces. I used a covering hing instead and it worked out really nice. I hope to maiden it later this week. The weather calls for blue skies and low winds all week so it is time to get it up in the air. The only thing I need to do now is plug in the ailerons and get them centered. Here are a couple pictures of the almost finished product.

Finished 1.JPG

Finished 2.JPG

Joker 53150

Mmmmmmm, balsa.
Mentor
Looks great! I'm not a big fan of the struts between the wings, but since it makes the upper wing easily removable it's a good example of function over form.

Noob

I did a maiden last Saturday. At first she was a handful to fly but she flew. When I got it on the ground again I found that I had my ailerons not lined up as I should have. I made a few adjustments and then she flew great! I can't wait to get it up in the air again. Unfortunately I forgot my camera at home last weekend. I will get a video the next time she flies and will post it here.

Joker 53150

Mmmmmmm, balsa.
Mentor
I'm getting super tempted to pull the trigger and get the 3D version, maybe with the Sport wing as well...!

Noob

So far I really like the Eva Bipe. I have still only flown it once but can't wait to get it up in the air again. The plane was really easy to build. She is very light though so not sure how it will handle heavier wind. I hope to get another couple flights on her on Wednesday or this weekend at the latest if the weather holds out. Hoping for some low wind so I can see what she can do. I will be sure to bring a camera and get some video this time around. I will post it as soon as I can.

MikeBg

Haven't had a maiden on the Sport yet but for good reason, I would like to sell this plane. It will sell it with servos only, no motor or electronics. I was thinking of asking $95 - $100, does that sound about right???

DSCN2161.JPG

DSCN2163.JPG

MikeBg

Joker 53150

Mmmmmmm, balsa.
Mentor
Any chance you are going to Flite Fest? I've been looking at this plane for a build once flying season is over, but if the right deal came along first...

Joker 53150

Mmmmmmm, balsa.
Mentor
I should arrive sometime Thursday, maybe by 2pm or so depending on what time we leave Wisconsin. We're heading back Sunday morning.

Turbojoe

Elite member
I need another EVA like I need yet another hole in my head but DAMN that's a nice looking bird! If I was closer I'd be lookin' to buy it.

Joe

MikeBg

Joe, I sold the EVA to Joker's dad at Filte Feast, Joker is going to build one this winter. It is a nice plane, maybe this winter I'll ..... well maybe.

MikeBg