Mountain Models Lucky Ace

lonewolf7717

What are your impressions of the Alula?
Teach, the Alula stays in my truck at all times....can't think of better endorsement. I have thrown that thing till my arm falls off. I bought the basic airframe and added own electrics suite. Dsm-44 servos, built own niMH pack (1/3AA can be found at Batteries Plus) which gives me 720mah rather than stock 300. Servo throws are unbelievably small and excellent centering is a must. I am still tweaking mine, every time out I am adjusting this that or the other to get that much higher or hang that much longer. Love the challenge of squeezing every last bit of loft out of this thing. You will enjoy, especially if you have some slopes.

lonewolf7717

Ok lets talk covering. I am totally lost in this arena...monokote, ultracote, so-lite, coverite??? I am hoping for ease of use, relative cost and availability stateside all in one package. Seems as if many old balsa builders are VERY opinionated when it comes to covering film plus a great many of them have little experience with multiple brands. As an example is there any material difference between monokote and ultracote or are these just competing product names? i am seeking quorum here so i can proceed on to next step. Valuehobby is by far my favorite stateside vendor so if anyone has used their neucover product but even it is more than I would really like to spend. Anything worth taking a shot with for under $10?

lonewolf7717

To be fair so far as suggestions are concerned, HK US warehouse is a not an option for me....paying too much in first place for one week delivery and waiting three to see it even put in a box does not a happy lonewolf make.

Tritium

Amateur Extra Class K5TWM
There is always DI Laminate sold at a company based in Irving, TX
http://www.laminatorwarehouse.com/laminating-film#72
but since I have not done balsa I do not know its strengths or weaknesses in this application. I do know however there are some who do use Laminate in lieu of any of the xxxkotes. I use a 3mm on foam wing builds and to strengthen balsa for control surfaces. You have to put it on carefully though because it doesn't shrink much at all.

Thurmond

lonewolf7717

There is always DI Laminate sold at a company based in Irving, TX
http://www.laminatorwarehouse.com/laminating-film#72
but since I have not done balsa I do not know its strengths or weaknesses in this application. I do know however there are some who do use Laminate in lieu of any of the xxxkotes. I use a 3mm on foam wing builds and to strengthen balsa for control surfaces. You have to put it on carefully though because it doesn't shrink much at all.

Thurmond
Wow thanks for link sir! I have looked at this product on AloftHobbies website, only sold in 18" pieces. I was looking into the CP laminate 5mil as possible hinge reinforcement and belly skid for few of my wings and bixler rather than bidirectional tape as I have been using. Had no clue there was supplier that close to my front door. Not sure that this is what I want on balsa build though, low shrink value scares me a bit. Being my first covering job I'm gonna need good shrink to hide some mistakes....course keeping in mind warping is an issue. This plane is small enough I would even consider fabric type iron on.....would also give me "that look" I am seeking. Whatever I go with it will have some transparency, balsa structure is just too darn pretty to cover all up.

Tritium

Amateur Extra Class K5TWM
I purchased a 41" wide complete roll of the 3mil DI with UV protection. I love it for strengthening foam, balsa and foamboard. Cutoffs work great in my laminator for documents too.

Thurmond

Joker 53150

Mmmmmmm, balsa.
Mentor
I've used a few different types of covering, from MonoKote and UltraKote to the Hobby King transparent film and the SoLite sold by Mountain Models. By far my favorite film is the SoLite, mainly because it shrinks a LOT meaning I don't have to get all the slack out before shrinking. But it's a lightweight film not suited to heavier/faster craft. However, it's the film recommended by Mountain Models for the Lucky ACE! I used a heavier MonoKote (at least that's what I think I used...) on mine and it worked fine, but adds extra weight. Some don't like SoLite because the glue-side wants to stick to itself easily, it isn't as strong, colors are limited, and the lighter colors are slightly transparent so you can see some structure under the covering. None of that matters to me, I just like working with it.

I'm currently covering a plane using two different colors of MonoKote - gray and an olive-drab. The gray works well and shrinks as I expected it to, but the olive-drab hardly shrinks at all meaning I need to work more at getting out any excess wrinkles before I shrink it. I'm tempted to just rip the covering off and re-do it with a different brand, but I'm cheap and don't like wasting the money. But if I can't get the EDF pod covered well with it I'll have to change to a different covering.

I've used a few different colors in the HK film as well as one of their transparent colors. The film feels a bit stiff but so far appears to work well and shrink well. It's by far the cheapest film I've used. The rolls are longer than MonoKote and SoLite on top of the lower cost per roll. I've tried to add a roll to any order I place if I can do that without costing me too much extra in shipping. Stocking a number of different colors should help me be ready for any upcoming build.

Ron B

Posted a thousand or more times
Mono coat has been around almost as long as I have. I used to use it a lot when I was building with balsa but along came solarfilm and it was lighter and shrank more so I went to using it but I don't know if it is still on the market or not. Remember this was all done in a time long forgotten.

Joker 53150

Mmmmmmm, balsa.
Mentor
I know Mountain Models sells SolarFilm as well as SoLite. Kind of expensive at $17.00/roll, but if it works...!

Ron B

Wow how things change in 42 yrs.
Solar film was more expensive than monocoat I think it was near double but not really sure.
I also used paper and dope to cover with but paper didn't shrink much and was not as strong as film. It could be repaired fairly easy but not as fast as film.

lonewolf7717

Ok due to some bureaucratic funding issues this project has languished in the mothballs for last couple weeks. Covering and remaining components are due in by Monday, Tuesday at the latest. I asked a couple guys at the LHS that know me well and are happy to help with my first balsa build if covering painted balsa was even doable. I received vastly differing opinions.....in essence I would like to cover control surfaces with clear film but nude balsa wont mix well with rest of color scheme. I would like to paint balsa with silver testors enamel and then cover with clear. Is this even feasible? Even online I am having trouble finding a clear consensus. A product called Doculam or mylar seem to be mentioned several times due to fact they are low heat applications that wont effect adhesion of paint. Any of you guys have any experience trying similar approach?

lonewolf7717

btw kudos to my LHS, I had made some assumptions regarding price point for their covering films and tools. I was way off, they were very competitive. Unfortunately I had already placed online orders based on assumptions and then kicked myself when I stopped by LHS saturday. I could have saved a buck and been further along in this build if only I had checked them out first.

Ron B

Hey xuzeme beat me to it as I was going to suggest silver packing tape.

slappySF

I just finished my Ace. Love it. I've build a bunch of Mountain Models planes. Really enjoy building and flying them. This weekend, if all goes well, I will be able to complete my second Switchback. Crashing and destroying my first one was a real heartbreaker. I love that plane.

The Lucky Ace is great for me since it delivers the best of both worlds. When I feel brave, I can try more advanced maneuvers. But when my heart rate gets too high, I can slow her way down. I fly to relax. So white knuckle/3D is not my style. But I'm learning.

Couple photos below. One is my Ace, the other is my son with his FT Flyer, and me with my Ace.
Ace.JPG Ace 2.JPG

Last edited:

Ron B

click 2x on photo and you won't have to tilt your pc to look at the photo.
Love a family hobby .. way to go