Mounting issues Motor

ForceM

Hi all,

I live in the Netherlands so i ordered my FT parts from Graupner Germany.
Last night i received them but im running into some issues here.

i ordered some Power Pack A (FT4501) and some mighty Mini firewalls (FT4011)
But i cannot seem to actually mount those on the firewalls.

If i look at the ft stores power pack a .. the motor is different .. and the supplied screws are too.
The screws do not fit through the firewall.

ForceM

Just looked a bit further .. and even the props are incorrect ..
The powerpack A from Gruapner contains 5x3 props instead of the 6x3 !!!

FDS

Elite member
If your motor screws are too short they are usually M3, easy to get here in the EU.
I have used that pack, the 5x3 prop is fine on minis, the thrust difference is pretty minimal, 6x3 APC’s are fairly easy to find if you really need one.
If the holes in the firewall are too small just ream them bigger, it doesn’t matter about how wide they are, as long as the motor screw spacing on the firewall matches the holes in the motor.
The motor may have two different mountings, you sometimes have to use the firewall flipped around with the wires going over the top to get a pair of screw holes to line up with the motor.
If it really won’t line up then drilling two holes in the firewall is pretty fast, just make a solid template to get the hole centres right.

ForceM

If your motor screws are too short they are usually M3, easy to get here in the EU.
I have used that pack, the 5x3 prop is fine on minis, the thrust difference is pretty minimal, 6x3 APC’s are fairly easy to find if you really need one.
If the holes in the firewall are too small just ream them bigger, it doesn’t matter about how wide they are, as long as the motor screw spacing on the firewall matches the holes in the motor.
The motor may have two different mountings, you sometimes have to use the firewall flipped around with the wires going over the top to get a pair of screw holes to line up with the motor.
If it really won’t line up then drilling two holes in the firewall is pretty fast, just make a solid template to get the hole centres right.

Yeah i just found that out myself ... the 4 screw holes in the motor aint on the same location indeed !!
using the correct ones now .. and had indeed needing to ream them bigger from 1,5mm or so to 3mm

Still have issues with this motor cause the cables comming out of it are heat shrink wrapped so tight they dont bend enough.
Thinking about removing the wrap and redoing that in the form i need

FDS

Elite member
I carefully split the wrap on the firewall side, don’t remove all of it, it helps support the end connections to the motor inside the casing from being pulled in crashes.
You only need 2 screws to hold the motor in. You don’t need all 4.

M

MCNC

I recently took that same split the heat shrink advice and it has worked no problems, and I did also cut a small notch in the foam at entry point as a compromise to a 90 degree bend I felt too risky.

Reactions: FDS

Bricks

Master member
Me personnely I have just bent the wires over and have not had any problems, I may make the hole in the firewall a tad bigger just to make it easier to get the wires thru.

I always use the X for mounting all my electric motors and never put screws in from the back side, just makes it easier if thrust angles or motors need to be changed.

ForceM

Me personnely I have just bent the wires over and have not had any problems, I may make the hole in the firewall a tad bigger just to make it easier to get the wires thru.

I always use the X for mounting all my electric motors and never put screws in from the back side, just makes it easier if thrust angles or motors need to be changed.

Im confused what you mean with you "use the X for mounting"

ForceM

All the motors I buy have a motor mount an X that mounts to the back of the motor and the X gets screwed to the fire wall from the front instead. Quad motors have to be screwed onto the motor mount from the back side.

Here is a link to what I mean. https://www.amainhobbies.com/eflite-motor-xmount-efl1228/p427012?msclkid=c7a79046d9c51e7356b3cd9f1e58645f&utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=Shopping PLA - NEW STRUCTURE TEST&utm_term=1100008732089&utm_content=Brands

ahh gotcha .. that makes more sence.

but .. (as there is always a but) ... that does not work for the mighty mini series as the prop itself is even slightly bigger then the firewall itself ..

Bricks

Master member
ahh gotcha .. that makes more sence.

but .. (as there is always a but) ... that does not work for the mighty mini series as the prop itself is even slightly bigger then the firewall itself ..

I have four 10 gram motors and they all have the X mount. running 5x3 props,, from center of mounting hole to center is roughly 8 mm. That said I have never seen a Mighty Mini.

ForceM

I have four 10 gram motors and they all have the X mount. running 5x3 props,, from center of mounting hole to center is roughly 8 mm. That said I have never seen a Mighty Mini.
20191124_012741.jpg

Bricks

Master member
Thanks for the pic, it is just a pain having to mount motors that way at least to me anyway, but you do what yea gotta do.

skymaster

Elite member
did you try putting the wires over the firewall notch. and that power pack should be fine with only two screws

ForceM

i actually finished building the tiny trainer last night and its now ready to fly.

and of course its pouring rain today ... so no flying :(

ill just make a few more while i wait for it to clear up.

ft spear or a-10 warthog ... hard choice ... lol

FDS

Elite member
Make some spare powerpods, my TT ate 27 powerpods and firewalls in 1 year of flying.

sprzout

Knower of useless information
Mentor
i actually finished building the tiny trainer last night and its now ready to fly.

and of course its pouring rain today ... so no flying :(

ill just make a few more while i wait for it to clear up.

ft spear or a-10 warthog ... hard choice ... lol

I'd make the Spear over the A-10, first. Flying wings are a LOT of fun. If you're making the A-10 at full scale, know that it's a BIG plane, and fitting it into a car to get it to the field is a task in and of itself.

Reactions: FDS

ForceM

Make some spare powerpods, my TT ate 27 powerpods and firewalls in 1 year of flying.

Had the same idea already .. had 3 powerpods ready before i typed that message.

In the mean time i have 3 fuselages .. 5 powerpods .. 2 glider noses ..