Mounting small camera to Mini Scout

Mode 1

Hi All.
I'm sure i'm overthinking this but...i'm looking for some suggestions as to how to mount small camera's to our mini scouts so they are removable, but not so removable they could fall off during flight. I glued a piece of foam to the inside of the cockpit area as a deck and initially thought i'd simply build a small stack our of foam, attached that to the deck with velcro and then attached the camera to the top with velcro. I'm not sure though if there is enough surface area on the bottom of the camera for the adhesive side of the velcro to hold it securely. I'm also afraid that this idea would end up ripping the deck out of the cockpit area when trying to separate the two pieces of velcro holding the stack to the deck.

Also, I found while testing, the camera can get pretty hot.

My creative mind doesn't allow me to think like an engineer so any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Happy Holidays!

~ Dave

camera.jpg
20181226_143908.jpg
20181226_143900.jpg

Attachments

• 20181226_143929.jpg
    20181226_143929.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • 20181226_143908.jpg
    20181226_143908.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:

JTarmstr

Elite member
Hello Mode 1, i have never done a mount like this before but it might work:

Basically build a 3 sided box of foam a bit taller and just as wide as the camera but dont glue it, i would use a A fold.

Then cut slots in the sides of the A fold (leaving paper on the outside) so the camera will slot right in.

Then glue the folded box with a 2.5 degree inward cant on the sides (it doesnt have to be excact).

Then find the camera angle you want and glue it in place.

May i ask what camera you are using? Could i use it to record footage?

Last edited:

Mode 1

Hello Mode 1, i have never done a mount like this before but it might work:

Basically build a 3 sided box of foam a bit taller and just as wide as the camera but dont glue it, i would use a A fold.

Then cut slots in the sides of the A fold (leaving paper on the outside) so the camera will slot right in.

Then glue the folded box with a 2.5 degree inward cant on the sides (it doesnt have to be excact).

Then find the camera angle you want and glue it in place.

May i ask what camera you are using? Could i use it to record footage?

Thanks for the reply. I will tinker with your concept and see what I can come up with.

I bought a couple of these:

Wolfwhoop WT03 Micro FPV AIO 600TVL Camera 5.8G 25mW/50mW/200mW Adjustable Transmitter with Cloverleaf Antenna for Mini Aircraft

This camera signal connected quickly to my EV800d goggles. I'm using these for FPV and am not sure how you'd use them for video beyond fpv as there's no storage on the device. (if that's your intention)

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
Mini Scout you say? I just happen to have one of those handy. Let me look at it... Maybe square off the paper at the back of the cockpit, glue a piece like one of your "stack" to the back cockpit wall that extends over the top of the fuse, as though it were a high-backed pilot's seat. Maybe a triangular piece behind the top of the seat, where the pilots head would be, that extends from the back of the seat top down the fuse a little, to support it against the wind.

Then glue a piece of sticky velcro to the back of the camera and the seat where the pilots head would be. Cut the velcro just a little larger than the camera back, so you can get a couple fingernails in and peel the camera off, rather try pull it off, when you're ready to move it to another model.

With a little trial and error, you could probably cut the triangular support in such a way that it supports the back of antenna as well, and you won't have to worry about any wind drag on it fighting with the velcro.

mrjdstewart

Legendary member
i have that exact camera mounted to my mini-scout but instead of placing it in the cockpit i stuck it on the tail. i 3D printed a little mount and set the angle so i could see almost the entire plane. works really good and provided a very nice view. it did require that i move the CG forward due to the drag created but once i got it balance again it flies fine.

i will try and post up a pic later. i'm heading out to the field this morning to do some maintenance so i don't have the time right now.

laters,

me :cool: