Moving to St. Louis!

JDWells

So I'm moving to the STL area and I'm wondering what people's favorite flying fields and hobby shops are. Any Flitetest flyers around? Thanks!

CavRecon

Cool! I'm just getting into the hobby and I'm out west near St. Peters.

The only nearby shop that I know of is Mark Twain Hobby. I recently joined Spirits of St. Louis, who have a nice field in south St. Charles County. Next meeting is this coming Monday if you want to check them out.

JDWells

I recently checked out Mark Twain too! Quite a step up from my old LHS. I might check out the meeting for the Spirits of St. Louis, or at least head out to the field. Thanks for the tip!

CavRecon

You bet. Happy to host you as a guest out there if you want...I can barely fly my Apprentice in beginner mode, but at least have a card to let you fly if you want. :) Just PM me.

Right on guys! I'm out in Wentzville, joined the Wright Flyers in Wright city. About 30 minutes west of St.Peters but only 12 from my house and $70 a year.

Flite tests very own social networking site. I set up a group for st charles, lincoln, and Warren counties called westplex flyers. And there is a group based out of Alton Illinois I joined. Groups is pretty new so not a lot of activity yet but it looks like it will be very useful.

CavRecon

Oh yeah! I already tried to sign up for that a while back. I clicked on the link in the verification email and it says "no user with that email address." I try to register again and get the message that somebody has already registered with that email.

I sent a help request in via the site. Hope to get rolling!

JDWells

Oh yeah I forgot about that! I joined a while ago and I just joined your westplex group. I'm going to go flying today. Somewhere. lol
Cavrecon if you're going to be at the field at all today, let me know. I would love to take you up on the offer. Definitely flying somehwere today though. Just got a Tundra yesterday and it needs a maiden.

JDWells

JD, looks like you're going to miss SEFF this year then.

Yes I am. Can't be helped though. The wife wanted to move, so here we are.
Checked out a couple fields today and even got some flights in at Buder Park! I think that will end up being home.

CavRecon

Hey JDWells! Sorry I didn't get back to you on this until just now. I did, indeed, make it down to the field and got in another couple of runs with my Apprentice, plus maidens on my Conscendo, Night Vapor, and a botched maiden on my HZ Sport Cub S. Really my first day of flying without being freaked out as a newbie and truly enjoyed it!

I have only been to Buder once, many years ago as a spectator. It is the "mecca" in the area for RC flying as far as I can gather, but it is a long haul from where I live. The Spirits field is only 8 miles from home and very friendly. Lots of seasoned flyers sitting around the fire pit to offer advice and encouragement.

JDWells

Hey JDWells! Sorry I didn't get back to you on this until just now. I did, indeed, make it down to the field and got in another couple of runs with my Apprentice, plus maidens on my Conscendo, Night Vapor, and a botched maiden on my HZ Sport Cub S. Really my first day of flying without being freaked out as a newbie and truly enjoyed it!

I have only been to Buder once, many years ago as a spectator. It is the "mecca" in the area for RC flying as far as I can gather, but it is a long haul from where I live. The Spirits field is only 8 miles from home and very friendly. Lots of seasoned flyers sitting around the fire pit to offer advice and encouragement.

Distance-wise it's the opposite for me. Buder is about 20 minutes and Spirits was about 40. The spirits field looked really nice and they had a fire going. I think we were there about 2 30 or 3 ish. I couldn't get anybody to talk to me though so we left. Everybody at Buder was really easy to talk to though. I met a guy named David with a 40% (I think) extra doing some pretty cool 3d stuff. Overall the RC scene is way bigger than I'm used to from middle GA. Let me know next time you're going out to your field, I'd love to meet up! Thanks everybody!

Rc high flyer

Hobby shops in the st louis area are marktwain hobbys in st charles and gate way rc in Collinsville. I fly at gordon more park in alton.

JDWells

I've been to Mark Twain a couple times and like it a lot. Much better than the store we had in middle GA. Havn't crossed the river to IL for anything yet. Thanks.