mpbiv's 3D Printed Folding Tricopter: a work in progress

jipp

i find that interesting about hair spray..

iv been looking around the house, thinking what else could i print just to print. so the max piece you can print is 8" wide right? i wonder how long the ZMR base plates are. would be nice to be to print a quick fix on the fly. its something to think about. printer, or goggles. as that is gonna be my next expensive RC purchase.. i scored a DX6i for 40 bucks, 3 months old.. etc.. good enough for me.. since im gonna end up giving it away when i get a taranis plus. i have a decent battery charger now than can charge two battery's at once with out having to deal with charging in a line. .. so, i can say i now officially have the basics for flying quads. lol.. now i guess its time to start to specialized in on gear :p

darn i forgot i need a camera too. grr.. ill just push the 3d printer idea for christmas maybe:D

i wish i felt better, i was up all night. i need to buy Ec3 female? to XT-60 female? since it would appear all hobbyking LIPO turnigy battery's come with XT-60 male connectors.
chris.

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
Go XT-60 female. It'll work with either EC3 or XT-60 males.

The other direction, not so much.

jipp

Go XT-60 female. It'll work with either EC3 or XT-60 males.

The other direction, not so much.

so this is a good adapter to have in ones kit.

for my needs i think id be better off getting a 4mm barrel plugs to XT60 adapter.
as i can just plug it into the charger..

thanks for the tip. i need to lay down, my head feels like its gonna blow up. laughs.

chris.

Scottychop

I absolutely love this design. Wondering how much it would cost to have it printed? Are there sites/members that would print this at a reasonable cost?

An RCG member offered to print this for me for $85. I think that time/materials, etc.. this is pretty reasonable.

jipp

sounds like a good deal... from what i understand time is the real issue with these.. as the material to print is dirt cheap. so how i would look at it, the time it takes to print.. is the time taken away from his own projects.

here are some more 3d printers. they sure look cool when they are open.. but from what i have been reading. its better to be in a box, more accurate prints?
http://www.newegg.com/Filament/SubC...8&cm_sp=Cat_3D-Printing_2-_-VisNav-_-Filament
what colors dose the person have on hand? i would pick a bright color.. yellow sure is sharp.

be sure to share some build pictures.

chris.

Last edited:

mpbiv

An RCG member offered to print this for me for $85. I think that time/materials, etc.. this is pretty reasonable.

I don't plan on selling parts myself, mainly because I only have one printer, so I have not really put any thought into what I think the parts are worth.

But I want to drop this resource here for anyone who is looking for someone to print parts for them:

https://www.3dhubs.com/

It is basically a website/community of people and small businesses that will 3D print parts for you. I suspect if you shop around 3D Hubs you might find someone who can do it cheaper.

Jakeh

Would you be ok with me paying someone to print this? I just wanted to double check since it's a non-commercial license.

mpbiv

Would you be ok with me paying someone to print this? I just wanted to double check since it's a non-commercial license.
That is fine and that was my intent and understanding when I chose the licensing. What I didn't want was a company or individual taking the design and selling it as their own and making profit.

If you look at my previous post, and click the 3dhubs link it may also help you find someone to print the parts for you. Prices can vary.

jipp

i think you will be ok, if you read back 2 pages i think he even gives you a webpage that offers printing services in your own town..

be sure to share your build with us.

chris.

jipp

That is fine and that was my intent and understanding when I chose the licensing. What I didn't want was a company or individual taking the design and selling it as their own and making profit.

If you look at my previous post, and click the 3dhubs link it may also help you find someone to print the parts for you. Prices can vary.

ohh, good morning. hah.. i should of held off posting.. did not realize you were already posting :d

chris.

Ludodg

Hello mpbiv,
Have you ever considered transforming the motormounts into tilted motormounts to get the dihedral design Scott and Eric were talking about?
I made a quad with slightly upwards bend arms and the difference in balance, right out of the box was remarquable.
I would like to try it on all my designs.