MPCNC Bottom up build thread

Brett_N

So, after himming and hawwwing over what to build next, I took the plunge and started in on an MPCNC. There's a whole thread about needle cutting and David has some INCREDIBLE knowledge on these, but, this is more of a "here's how to build one step by step". I'm in no hurry to finish this, so don't expect an update every day, but I'll check in and answer as many questions as I can.

The Ultimate "Needle Printer based on the MPCNC" thread

And for a quick "WTH is he talking about" this -- CLICKY CKICKY -- is the MPCNC (Mostly Printed CNC)

Build Targets:
Primary Objective is a cutting table for FT type planes based on DTFB
Secondary Objective is something for basic engraving with a Dremel, etc.
Third Objective - Low cost, but not cheap.

Anyway - so Day 1 - August 8, 2017
- Ordered a 100 Pack of bearings from Amazon - $20
- ordered 10M of rubber 6mm belt and pulley things..$20 from amazon
- downloaded the STL files for the 1" diameter conduit version

Printing - Using standard black amazon PLA, I think it was like $10 a roll. 210*C nozzle temp with a 60*C bed tempp on a Delta style. Now, fo the brackets since I don't really care what the "finish" is - I'm printing these with a 1mm nozzle, 0.5 layer height, 40mm/S movement. YES - there are layer lines, but, with 80% infill I'm not worried.

I'm running 2x1 prints now - I'll set a 2x2 overnight and see what happens. But right now I'm looking at 2 hours EACH for 2 pairs of Mount and MOUNTB and a pair of clamps.

Mount and MOUNTB

(won't let me import pictures for some reason)

Brett_N

Ugh - so overnight print was a disaster. 2 of my belts slipped off the carriers so I know have a giant lump of PLA all over my build plate and extruder. Stuck until I can figure out how to clean this mess up :-(

jhitesma

Some guy in the desert
Mentor
Having been there done that with using a dremel for light engraving....I'd strongly recommend budgeting the $60 or so ($57 and change on amazon with prime shipping right now) for a DW660 instead. The dremel is just ridiculously underpowered for the task. You have to go SUPER slow and running the dremel that long burns out the brushes QUICK. Plus the physical design of the dremel just doesn't hold up when it's run for extended periods like that.

dkj4linux

Elite member
I second Jason's recommendation to go with the Dewalt 660... it really is not much more $$$, if any, than a fancier Dremel... and it's far more powerful and flexible. Comes with 2 collets IIRC... 1/4" and 1/8"... and makes it perfect for use with MPCNC.

Thanks for the kind words, Brett, and welcome to the slippery slope. This'll be a fun and rewarding trip... :)

Brett_N

Oh I've got a pair of RotoZips for any heavy routing (I don't think the conduit frame will hold my 3/4HP router though!) - The dremel would only be for small stuff, foam shaping primarily and only for intricate details. I'll use the big guns for anything major.

Have to get my printer cleaned and working first :mad::mad: - I've got 5 hours worth of PLA blob built up on the extruder

Brett_N

Last nights Disastrous print :)

20180808_172225.jpg

Brett_N

LOL....one man's failure is another man's.....entertainment!

I do have to admit - I'm only 2 weeks into this whole 3D printing thing. So I made a rooke mistake and DIDN'T secure my belt ends...sure enough, one must have gotten yanked off it's track causing the mess. (I have a small bed FLsun Delta style....)

I've also learned that printing a single object rather than filling the bed up yields better, but slower...results. A little trial and error and some inexpensive PLA taught me that lesson tonight.

Not much progress after some printer hiccups - but I did manage to get some ugly roller plates printed.