MS Bf-110 build & plans

CrshNBrn

Elite member
Great work on your plane, Timmy. You build clean, that's for sure! I think I'm going to forego the rudder control and just go with differential thrust for yaw. I also split the elevator with a piece of bent piano wire.

Attachments

• 20210215_114905.jpg
    20210215_114905.jpg
    670.9 KB · Views: 0
  • 20210216_053334.jpg
    20210216_053334.jpg
    483.7 KB · Views: 0

Timmy

Legendary member
Great work on your plane, Timmy. You build clean, that's for sure! I think I'm going to forego the rudder control and just go with differential thrust for yaw. I also split the elevator with a piece of bent piano wire.
Thanks, its not as clean as I would like it to be but paint should cover up all the booboos ;).
Yours looks great too! I'm not doing rudder either.

Whit Armstrong

Elite member

That looks amazing! I'm glad to see that everything went together well, and that you figured out how to do the split elevator. Sorry I forgot to mention it.

Timmy

Legendary member
So are there two servos for the elevator? Or 1? Because there are two holes for the servo wires and push rods but only one hole for the actual servo.

CrshNBrn

Elite member
You could run it as one servo with two linkages, but I wasn't able to figure out a way to mount the servo on the backboard and still run two pushrods from it. That's why I split the elevator with the piano wire.

CrshNBrn

Elite member
All done gluing with no pieces left over! Looks really sharp, even hidden under blue tape. Next steps will include caulking some of my crappy seams, cleaning up glue drips, adding magnets to hold the nose and canopy, then adding a dowel rod to the leading edge of the wing. Finally painting and jazzing up with some Callie's graphics before her maiden.

A couple of notes along the way:
  • Were the left& right nacelle boxes mixed in the plans? I went ahead and built as indicated, even though they didn't agree with the left/right of the skins. Looks okay to me, but wanted you to know.
  • difference between cockpit base #22 and cockpit bottom #23 unclear.
  • Nacelle Skin 1 may need to be thinner or the nacelle box longer- see photo below. See how the skin extends a little beyond the base of the shaft of the recommended C motor, which might make it tricky for folks to install props/spinners. Whatever solution is easiest- I will trim Skin
  • Maybe add a barbecue skewer or carbon fiber rod to stiffen the horizontal stabilizer? That's a lot of single layer foam back there, and pulling the elevator from one side with a single pushrod does flex it a little. Not much, but a little. Dunno how the CG is going to work out or if it will affect the flight.
  • the vertical stabilizer/rudder attachment to the horizontal stabilizer is a weak spot- I bent the bottom of the "rudder" on my FT P-38 just moving it around. Maybe a mod might be to sheath the inside of the rudder with a thin balsa covering to strengthen it? Or fiberglass?
  • Hand launchers will grab the plane around the CG, which is under Skin #8. Next time I might add a thin balsa covering to the inside of the skin before installing the cockpit bottom to strengthen the fuselage where folks grip it. Over time, hand pressure can buckle the foam at that spot.
All said....very cool plans to work from, and I'm much obliged to Whit for putting them together. I'm betting that there's a lot of folks who have built all the FT Master Series warbirds, worked through the 13th Squadron and Niez13's plans, and are now looking for the next challenge: they would love this Me-110. If you're taking requests, I'd love it if you maybe considered a Hawker Hurricane? Totally unappreciated bird, maybe easy to modify from the existing MS P-47 plans, and would make for some fun Battle of Britain re-enactments with this Me-110 (or Bf-110, depending on your historical perspective).

Attachments

• 20210217_163441.jpg
    20210217_163441.jpg
    514.6 KB · Views: 0
  • 20210217_155459.jpg
    20210217_155459.jpg
    299 KB · Views: 0

Whit Armstrong

Elite member
All done gluing with no pieces left over! Looks really sharp, even hidden under blue tape. Next steps will include caulking some of my crappy seams, cleaning up glue drips, adding magnets to hold the nose and canopy, then adding a dowel rod to the leading edge of the wing. Finally painting and jazzing up with some Callie's graphics before her maiden.

A couple of notes along the way:
  • Were the left& right nacelle boxes mixed in the plans? I went ahead and built as indicated, even though they didn't agree with the left/right of the skins. Looks okay to me, but wanted you to know.
  • difference between cockpit base #22 and cockpit bottom #23 unclear.
  • Nacelle Skin 1 may need to be thinner or the nacelle box longer- see photo below. See how the skin extends a little beyond the base of the shaft of the recommended C motor, which might make it tricky for folks to install props/spinners. Whatever solution is easiest- I will trim Skin
  • Maybe add a barbecue skewer or carbon fiber rod to stiffen the horizontal stabilizer? That's a lot of single layer foam back there, and pulling the elevator from one side with a single pushrod does flex it a little. Not much, but a little. Dunno how the CG is going to work out or if it will affect the flight.
  • the vertical stabilizer/rudder attachment to the horizontal stabilizer is a weak spot- I bent the bottom of the "rudder" on my FT P-38 just moving it around. Maybe a mod might be to sheath the inside of the rudder with a thin balsa covering to strengthen it? Or fiberglass?
  • Hand launchers will grab the plane around the CG, which is under Skin #8. Next time I might add a thin balsa covering to the inside of the skin before installing the cockpit bottom to strengthen the fuselage where folks grip it. Over time, hand pressure can buckle the foam at that spot.
All said....very cool plans to work from, and I'm much obliged to Whit for putting them together. I'm betting that there's a lot of folks who have built all the FT Master Series warbirds, worked through the 13th Squadron and Niez13's plans, and are now looking for the next challenge: they would love this Me-110. If you're taking requests, I'd love it if you maybe considered a Hawker Hurricane? Totally unappreciated bird, maybe easy to modify from the existing MS P-47 plans, and would make for some fun Battle of Britain re-enactments with this Me-110 (or Bf-110, depending on your historical perspective).

Where did you download the plans? The ones I posted in this thread had an error where the labeling on the nacelle boxes was wrong. I've updated it now, but you may have used those plans before the error was fixed. The green arrows were supposed to point towards the wingtips. As for skin 1, I'll make the nacelle box longer. I was designing it to work with some spinners, and I totally forgot about prop clearance! :rolleyes: The tail does need some reinforcement, I thought that the BBQ skewers on the front would be enough, but. I think I'll add a slot for reinforcement of some kind. In the next version of plans I hope to fix all of these things, and hopefully have a polished plane!

I can't thank you enough for building this plane, especially since nobody has built it before. I'm glad most parts worked out, and I'm sorry if some things didn't, but that's an amazing looking plane you have there! I'd love to see more pictures, especially if you paint it! Good luck on the maiden!

CrshNBrn

Elite member
Where did you download the plans? The ones I posted in this thread had an error where the labeling on the nacelle boxes was wrong. I've updated it now, but you may have used those plans before the error was fixed. The green arrows were supposed to point towards the wingtips. As for skin 1, I'll make the nacelle box longer. I was designing it to work with some spinners, and I totally forgot about prop clearance! :rolleyes: The tail does need some reinforcement, I thought that the BBQ skewers on the front would be enough, but. I think I'll add a slot for reinforcement of some kind. In the next version of plans I hope to fix all of these things, and hopefully have a polished plane!

I can't thank you enough for building this plane, especially since nobody has built it before. I'm glad most parts worked out, and I'm sorry if some things didn't, but that's an amazing looking plane you have there! I'd love to see more pictures, especially if you paint it! Good luck on the maiden!