MS Composit Mini Swift build

C0d3M0nk3y

Posted a thousand or more times
I'm using a Dragonfly 1806 2300 KV motor with an HQ 5x4 prop, an Emax 12A ESC, and Hextronik HXT500 servos.

MototechRyan

Wannabe Jedi
Any updates on how you like it? Got an email today from RMRC with a link to a rcgroups member thread about his sub 250 gram fpv build. Been dying to jump into fixed wing with a wing...and building a mini fpv wing thats sub 250 gram has me really excited. Plus I dig the pcb style graphics.

C0d3M0nk3y

Any updates on how you like it? Got an email today from RMRC with a link to a rcgroups member thread about his sub 250 gram fpv build. Been dying to jump into fixed wing with a wing...and building a mini fpv wing thats sub 250 gram has me really excited. Plus I dig the pcb style graphics.

I like it, but I don't love it. The main thing I don't like about it is that I just have my battery attached with velcro, so it ejects every time I crash. I've probably spent as much time looking for batteries as I have in the air. I thought about cutting a couple of slots and running a battery strap through it, but I was afraid that the strap would just rip through the foam on a crash.

I'm actually thinking about taking the electronics from this and building an FT Arrow since that has a compartment to put gear in and has space for FPV gear.

MototechRyan

Wannabe Jedi
Sweet, thanks for your thoughts and updated pics. I didn't think about battery mounting and possible structural integrity affects in a crash. I wanted to buy a FT mighty mini arrow which is $10 cheaper. But the epp swift seemed more crumple resistant in a crash than the arrow. Now I realize the epp is more prone to tearing out chunks in a crash when the arrow can be kinda uncrumpled after a crash.

Still excited though and will probably do an arrow build sometime after my swift build. Will share my experiences and ideas.

needhame

I just started building one of these today. I built the FT Mini Arrow and had a difficult time making it flyable. I know that the issue is my skills not the design. Also if it even gets sprinkled on a little it will curl up and make it even more difficult to fly unless you have waterproofed it. So I decided to try one of these MS Composite Mini Swifts for two reasons. One is I am hoping for better resistance to crash damage and water. Secondly to attempt to take some of my lack of building skills out of the equation.

I see you bought yours last year. Did they change the design since then? Mine came with cut outs for the servo locations on the bottom and closer to the leading edge of the wing. Is there a benefit to mounting everything on top versus the bottom other than being able to easily change components and adjust CG? The current instructions show cutting everything into the bottom including the battery. I plan to cut everything into the bottom except the battery maybe? I haven't decided about that since I want the flexibility of using different batteries.

I am running the same receiver and battery that you have except I am running a larger motor. Basically putting all my gear form the Mini Arrow in this one. (The recommended parts from FT except using 9 g servos on the swift.) I am using a homemade voltage sensor for telemetry.

Thanks for posting the info and photos. Please pass along any other information you may have.

Here are a few photos of where I am with the build.

Attachments

• IMG_4490.jpg
    IMG_4490.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4491.jpg
    IMG_4491.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_4492.jpg
    IMG_4492.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:

C0d3M0nk3y

I see you bought yours last year. Did they change the design since then? Mine came with cut outs for the servo locations on the bottom and closer to the leading edge of the wing.

No, mine has the cutouts. I thought that having everything mounted to the top would be better for landings, but maybe that doesn't really matter. I will say that having the servos mounted in that location will probably be better for CG. I have to run the battery at the very front of the wing, which probably adds to my problems.

Is there a benefit to mounting everything on top versus the bottom other than being able to easily change components and adjust CG? The current instructions show cutting everything into the bottom including the battery.

I thought it would be better, but maybe not. I don't know much at all about building and flying fixed wing aircraft. :)

needhame

No, mine has the cutouts. I thought that having everything mounted to the top would be better for landings, but maybe that doesn't really matter. I will say that having the servos mounted in that location will probably be better for CG. I have to run the battery at the very front of the wing, which probably adds to my problems.

I thought it would be better, but maybe not. I don't know much at all about building and flying fixed wing aircraft. :)

I will post here as things progress. With only the servos installed it is very tail heavy. The motor and vertical stabilizers will probably only make it worse. The Pop Wing, which is nearly identical, normally has the battery mounted on the top at the very front seems to fly very well. At least according to the youtube videos I have watched. I am hoping for comparable results with this one. It looks like most people catch it rather than land it on the ground. We will see if I can fly it well enough to do that. I haven't flown fixed wing in a really long time and never a wing until recently.

Battery mounting and initial elevon angle are my main concerns right now. The instructions don't say anything about the elevon set up. I will try to find more info on that before I maiden it.

Thanks for the feedback.

MototechRyan

Wannabe Jedi
You're welcome. I'll be curious to hear the thoughts of some people that actually know what they're doing. :)

This will be my first venture into fixed wing, but I did stay at a holiday in express last night;)

Here's the post on rcgroups that RMRC linked in the email they sent me. There's a video too with alot of helpful info. I don't plan on using a LRS system like he did, but thinking that may have helped his CG.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show..._79eb0f9c30-edae804eb5-142996481#post33829363

I saw a video by Mr. Steele flying his wing and he got around 15mins of run time. The longer run time with fixed wing compared to multirotors has me excited too.

needhame

Update: Build is complete. I haven't flown it yet. I haven't decided if I will add FPV. If I really enjoy flying it I will consider FPV.

IMG_4500.jpg IMG_4501.jpg IMG_4502.jpg IMG_4503.jpg

MototechRyan

Wannabe Jedi
Looks awesome, can't wait to hear how you like it needhame :). My kit will be here this week. I plan to use an emax esc and 2204 motor from the FT power pack E used on my first Versacopter. I've got some extra naze 32 fc's and plan to use one along with a micro minimosd. All of my 3s packs are 1800mah and above bricks. Gonna have to order some lower mah packs to stay under the 250g limit.

Not sure about servos. I have some JR servos that came with my XP8103 purchased back in 2000. Hope they aren't too heavy, but I know they have plenty of power.

needhame

I tried to fly it today at lunch but it is too windy for a first flight. I will try again this evening around sunset as the wind usually dies down about that time. I am using the Emax 2204 2300KV motor with a 12 amp BLHeli ESC. 6045 prop. I had to trim about an 1/8" off the elevons for clearance. I am using Emax 9 gram servos. They fit perfectly in the precut servo holes. I have the 800 mah batteries that FT sells but I have some Turnigy 1000 mah batteries that I want to try with it. Depending on how it flies and how much I like flying it, I may cut the battery into the wing.