Multi rotor jet

Iceman29488

I'm making plans to build a foam board jet that will hover like a multi rotor and also fly like a jet. The question I have is will a servo and ESC work on the same channel on the receiver? my plans are to hook up a flight controller for the multi router functions and also incorporate a servo for the front rotors and rear rotors to rotate forward for forward flight. Well I have enough power to run both the ESC and a small rotating servo on one channel? Thanks for any information that you can give me.

Last edited:

mach1 rc

Master member
I'm making plans to build a foam board jet that will hover like a multi rotor and also fly like a jet. The question I have is will a servo and ESC work on the same channel on the receiver? my plans are to hook up a flight controller for the multi router functions and also incorporate a servo for the front rotors and rear rotors to rotate forward for forward flight. Well I have enough power to run both the SEC and a small rotating servo on one channel? Thanks for any information that you can give me.
I dont know I'd that would work🤔 I've never tried it.

IanSR

The servo will need to be on its own channel.
By the sounds of it you'll need a flight controller that is something like a Matek F405 and route everything through the flight controller using the PWM5 or PWM6 (S5 or S6) for the servo mechanism.

I've not done this but I would imagine however that you will encounter problems once you tilt the motors forward, you are essentially trying to build a vtol aircraft, so should look into what guys do with them and what changes they make to pid loops etc. for forward flight versus hovering.

I do know you can control servos off of a quad flight controller though, as my ARWing presently has a Matek F405-STD in with their bog standard quad pdb under it, the motor runs off S2 and the two servos running off S1 and S3 and the board runs iNav, and S4 is used for panning a camera but was previously used for a servo drop mechanism, S5 has the LEDs on.

It's not as neat as the f405 wing all in one board that would do the same job, but it's 40% cheaper lol.

L Edge

Master member
Another check on the flight controller- does it have a time element to make the transition from one to the other and also back?

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
I'm making plans to build a foam board jet that will hover like a multi rotor and also fly like a jet. The question I have is will a servo and ESC work on the same channel on the receiver? my plans are to hook up a flight controller for the multi router functions and also incorporate a servo for the front rotors and rear rotors to rotate forward for forward flight. Well I have enough power to run both the ESC and a small rotating servo on one channel? Thanks for any information that you can give me.

Tilt rotor quad would be same as any other build and you just add a servo to one of the remaining pwm outputs to do the tilt. Then assign any properties of the servo as in speed and travel in the radio like you would for fixed wing.

If you are doing fixed wing style then things get a bit more involved as you would have to be able to disable some motors and turn on others.
For forward flight are you planning on tilting the 4 motors or are you adding a push motor and shutting off or idling the 4 to hold lift? there are a few ways to make this work and it depends on what gear you use and what method of transition you want to do.

Iceman29488

Another check on the flight controller- does it have a time element to make the transition from one to the other and also back?
I'm trying to fly it like a quad I only want to turn the motors forward enough so the plane won't pitch forward when in forward flight

Iceman29488

Tilt rotor quad would be same as any other build and you just add a servo to one of the remaining pwm outputs to do the tilt. Then assign any properties of the servo as in speed and travel in the radio like you would for fixed wing.

If you are doing fixed wing style then things get a bit more involved as you would have to be able to disable some motors and turn on others.
For forward flight are you planning on tilting the 4 motors or are you adding a push motor and shutting off or idling the 4 to hold lift? there are a few ways to make this work and it depends on what gear you use and what method of transition you want to do.
Just going to tilt motors enough to keep nose level

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Then any F3 or higher FC should do the job. Assign the servo to an open channel on the radio, set the port you want to use on the FC to be able to use the servo, then adjust your tilt throws and transition speeds up in your radio. Hopefully you have something with open tx to make that all easy.

Iceman29488

Then any F3 or higher FC should do the job. Assign the servo to an open channel on the radio, set the port you want to use on the FC to be able to use the servo, then adjust your tilt throws and transition speeds up in your radio. Hopefully you have something with open tx to make that all easy.
Thanks for the reply. Very helpful