Multicopter canopy contest

Carl

When I go fly in the park kids are most impressed by how a model looks. If after flying a tri, quad or hex I come back with a finished canopy on the same model I was just flying all the kids think it will perform better just based on looks.

We see lots of different frames on the net, but not too many with finished canopies. With the launch of the rotor bone series I suggest that Flight Test hold a canopy contest, judged on looks and function. For example look at the canopy Chad made for a bicopter (Avatar) Have the guys make some, show them off on a show then open up the contest to everyone for cool Flight Test prizes.

FlyingMonkey

Bought Another Trailer
Staff member
Admin
I like it. Patrick, are you in for this one, at the conclusion of our current contest?

earthsciteach

Hmmm.... I don't know that the bat bone needs a canopy, but I'd be happy to see what I could do for the anycopter series. I think it would be a fun project!

RoyBro

Mentor
Interesting idea. A combination of form and function would be key. For example, something that looks good, protects the electronics, and allows easy access to the controls, receiver, camera, whatever. And something that won't fly off at speed.
It should also be easy to duplicate. That is, something that can be built by any of us without special equipment such as a vacuum form or laser cutter or 3D printer.

I don't ask for much, do I? :)

Liemavick

Mentor
I like the idea. I already have the perfect thing in mind. Im going to tape my Iphone on to protect my $20 control board. That way if I hit anything nothing of value gets destroyed. Just to impress the kids in the park Ill have a movie playing on the Iphone, perhaps The Great Waldo Pepper?

zev

lumpy member
easy to make would be cool, but an episode on vacuum forming a canopy would be awesome.

FlyingMonkey

Bought Another Trailer
Staff member
Admin
We're not going to mention the words "vacuum forming" around eartsciteach... he's still a little sensitive.

:D

earthsciteach

We're not going to mention the words "vacuum forming" around eartsciteach... he's still a little sensitive.

:D

I hang my head in shame at my failure to produce a decent vac formed cowling. But, I admit my failures and will press on. I'm still trying to get my hands on an empty 2 liter bottle to heat shrink around the form. You'd think that would be an easy task. But, nooooooo...

earthsciteach

I'm in for the canopy contest, but won't be able to get to it until the second week in July. I have some cool ideas for the Bat Bone.

FlyingMonkey

Bought Another Trailer
Staff member
Admin
I'm still trying to get my hands on an empty 2 liter bottle to heat shrink around the form. You'd think that would be an easy task. But, nooooooo...

Because going to the store and buying a .99 soda bottle, and either drinking it or pouring it out never crossed your mind.

Liemavick

Mentor
Halloween decorating was a big thing for me back when my kids were small. I had built a vacuum forming table to attempt to make masks for one wall of a haunted house. If you have the proper thickness of plastic for the project, a way to heat it evenly, and a vacuum table that pulls from all sides evenly, its a snap. Otherwise forget it, they are a bloody pain in the arse to work with. I had another person involved in this project and there contribution was designing the heating element and buying the plastics, when he showed up with two electric warming dishes for a buffet I knew we were in trouble. The plastic he bought was to thick as well for what we were trying to do. It was a FAIL except I still have the table base I used for the setup, it holds my chop saw quite nicely lol. Could the boys show us a proper setup? I bet they could. Do they have time to be messing with such a thing? I doubt it.

OutcastZeroOne

Fly, yes... Land, no
thanks earthsciteach, I was about to mention vacuumforming :p

I remember years ago I used to have an old RC Buggy that broke. I held onto the body for a long time thinking it would make a good helicopter body but it was too heavy.

with my new vacuum former it wouldnt be too hard to make a good lite weight body, its just a mater of making a good plug. Any imperfection in the plug will show on the plastic. Also any imperfection in the plastic to start with will stay. On the canopy I made for the FT Cruiser I had used a clear plastic plate. The only issue was that the plastic had some waveyness in it. This did not go away once reformed. Also since I used wood and didnt give it a good supper smother hard covering you can see some of the plywood layering on the back of the canopy. Since wood is inconsstant with strength some layers can crush a bit under the vacuum.