Multirotor help!

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
I get that you want to go fast. So do I and I can and do.

I will ask you one more time for your own safety as well as others.

DO NOT build a monster quad your first time out. You are putting together a 100+ mph missle. If you dont have at least 6 months to a year flying AND know how to properly set it up you will destroy it not to mention a really high probability of property damage or even injuring people.

If you dont know how to crash properly (and yes this IS a thing) that quad could bounce and tumble a good 50 yards at high speed after a simple thing like nipping a branch or flag.

This is a miner crash at maybe 30 to 40 mph before I really learned how to put a quad down safely.

FDS

Elite member
The above advice is important. Choose your first flight space very carefully, make sure there are NO people at all on it or near it if possible. You want a soft landing surface too, not concrete.
Set all your rates up on the bench, start with auto level on and low rates, with your arming/disarm switch set up along with a proper failsafe. I started just hovering line of sight, no FPV, no higher than 50ft. When I got my throttle control and pitch control safe then I tried yaw turns and figure 8’s, using LEDs for orientation and not going fast. As soon as you feel control is slipping away then you should throttle back or disarm. If you are staying low (which you should) then you won’t damage the quad.
Lots of sim time with the controls and rates set exactly how you would use in your real quad will help with the muscle memory for safe flying.
You can do a lot of damage to yourself, property and other people with a race quad. Nothing wrong with building something nice (I don’t think my Source One can do 100) but safety is a key consideration.

IcedStorm777

I get that you want to go fast. So do I and I can and do.

I will ask you one more time for your own safety as well as others.

DO NOT build a monster quad your first time out. You are putting together a 100+ mph missle. If you dont have at least 6 months to a year flying AND know how to properly set it up you will destroy it not to mention a really high probability of property damage or even injuring people.

If you dont know how to crash properly (and yes this IS a thing) that quad could bounce and tumble a good 50 yards at high speed after a simple thing like nipping a branch or flag.

This is a miner crash at maybe 30 to 40 mph before I really learned how to put a quad down safely.

I completely understand where you are coming from and i don't want to hurt any people or the hobby. I am going to be practicing on liftoff for probably two hours a day for the next 3-4 months until the quad is complete. I also either fly in my backyard (7 acres with the only thing i can hit being trees) or at a huge field out by my church. I only ever fly with one friend and the closest we ever are to the plane or quad for maidens is very far. I also do have some flying experience with my gremlin but am wanting more power and speed. I have been flying my gremlin for a good six or seven months and i think that combined with my Liftoff experience will be enough. This brings up another point, i live at almost 8,000 FT and would like to have enough punch out to get out of trouble.

The above advice is important. Choose your first flight space very carefully, make sure there are NO people at all on it or near it if possible. You want a soft landing surface too, not concrete.
Set all your rates up on the bench, start with auto level on and low rates, with your arming/disarm switch set up along with a proper failsafe. I started just hovering line of sight, no FPV, no higher than 50ft. When I got my throttle control and pitch control safe then I tried yaw turns and figure 8’s, using LEDs for orientation and not going fast. As soon as you feel control is slipping away then you should throttle back or disarm. If you are staying low (which you should) then you won’t damage the quad.
Lots of sim time with the controls and rates set exactly how you would use in your real quad will help with the muscle memory for safe flying.
You can do a lot of damage to yourself, property and other people with a race quad. Nothing wrong with building something nice (I don’t think my Source One can do 100) but safety is a key consideration.

And as to this i will be sure to not maiden my 5" with people around. It will probably be in my 7 acre backyard which is 20 minutes from civilization. I will be learning how to use beta-flight (which reminds me how do you connect your FC to your computer? Is beta-flight free) so that i can do all my programing on the bench. My first flight will be LOS as i did with my grem (i tell you though that tiny grem is IMPOSSIBLE TO KEEP ORIENTATION WITH) I will then transition to low power low speed flying FPV. I will not be going ballistic until i am FULLY confident in my abilities.

Thank you,
Gracen

Reactions: FDS

cnc_dave

iced,
in one of your post you mentioned you would be able to compensate by using a lower throttle. not always, if you bump in to something or the ground the flight controller will see this as an un commanded movement/input will try, very quickly, to correct it. it will happen in milli seconds, can and will spin the motors to full rpm trying to correct the situation.
when this happens, most likely you will loose orientation, the only thing you can do in this event is disarm quickly.
i've only had this happen when i have airmode turned on, i have airmode on a switch, by default in betaflight airmode is set to always on.

none of that probably means much now, make a mental note of it for the future.

something i didn't see mentioned is s solder and soldering station, something like this at amazon and some solder of course.
i forget where i found the soldering station i have but it was like 30$ and has suited my needs.
and yes you want something you can control the temperature of.

dave

IcedStorm777

iced,
in one of your post you mentioned you would be able to compensate by using a lower throttle. not always, if you bump in to something or the ground the flight controller will see this as an un commanded movement/input will try, very quickly, to correct it. it will happen in milli seconds, can and will spin the motors to full rpm trying to correct the situation.
when this happens, most likely you will loose orientation, the only thing you can do in this event is disarm quickly.
i've only had this happen when i have airmode turned on, i have airmode on a switch, by default in betaflight airmode is set to always on.

none of that probably means much now, make a mental note of it for the future.

something i didn't see mentioned is s solder and soldering station, something like this at amazon and some solder of course.
i forget where i found the soldering station i have but it was like 30$ and has suited my needs.
and yes you want something you can control the temperature of.

dave

I have a soldering station that is really good and some solder but my soldering iron is not temperature variable and is garbage. I will get the one you posted, thanks!

cnc_dave

ok, as far as connecting to computer. i have used the charging cable for my samsung s7 phone. you just have be sure its a data type cable, there are cables of this type that are only meant for charging and not data transfer. i believe the end that connects to the flight controller is usb type C (i think).
betaflight is free. here's all you need to know about this. easier than i can explain it.;)installing betaflight
i think he goes thru the whole thing here.

dave

cnc_dave

and this vid should be real helpful as well Painless 360. the frame you want to use is a clone sort of, of the he's building in the video.
Painless 360 sort of got me started in this, along with flitetest.
Bardwell has kind of grown on me. wasn't sure how to take someone that calls them self a know it all at first.

Reactions: FDS

FDS

Elite member
I told you which frame I recommended, the TBS Source One. The Rotor Riot CL1 is almost the same as that. I wouldn’t buy the Chameleon as it’s not got spares available. Both the CL1 and Source 1 have spare arms sold separately, which is useful.

IcedStorm777

So i have kylin 5" goggles. My friend is building a drone with almost the EXACT same electronics as me and is getting into the hobby and i was hoping to be able to give him my kylins to save him so $. I am negotiating a deal for fat shark teleporter v4 goggles. What is a good price for these? Are they good goggles? Would you reccomend them?

FDS

Elite member
Like I said before, it will be a while before you notice any difference in props. Maybe your battery life will vary, but it takes a lot more experience to feel that type of change, especially with only average motors.
The 5051’s with the down pointed tips like those are not super aggressive, I flew the Gemfan version on my first flight. I would go for 5040’s as the max pitch if you want to have reasonable duration.