Multirotor Top Tips

Pascal

Voltage Display

I diverted the use of a Rx LED voltage display and connected it on the electrohub. It improves the check-up and allows me to fine tune the timer on my Tx.

on board LED Voltage display.jpg IMG_2203.JPG IMG_2202.JPG IMG_2183.JPG

Last edited:

Pascal

I've just tried some new improvements. I'm doing FPV now and I had to do some enhancements on my electrohub to fly a bit longer, I achieve a 13-14 min flight with 9x4.7 GEMFAN and will compare them soon with 10x4.5 .
I now use 2x2200 mah 3S packs and it seems that I had some troubles (overheat) with the XT60 coupling device so I decided to simply add a second female XT60 on the distribution board.
IMG_3102.jpg
I use a cheap HIEE 600mw 5.8 transmitter, a bit too big to be fasten vertically, I decided to lay it on a fiberglass plate bolted on the rear of the electrohub to hold it, the Flip 1.5 is laid on it too.(My cloverleaf antennas are on their way).
IMG_3101.jpg
I added a Sky-hero canopy (which are really well built) to cover the FB against the wind and the sun... and make it look good :cool:
IMG_3100L.jpg

Last edited:

Ace2317

One more (that I could've missed). Stay low to the ground! If it's only five feet up, you're probably not gonna take any major damage from just dropping it. And DON"T BUILD UP TOO MUCH SPEED. Just cruise around until you're comfortable making circles.

Dizzy D

Hey guys,
My name is Dave and I've follwed FliteTest for about 4 years but I'm new to the forum. I have 10+ years experience with RC fixed wing flying, I've built and flown all shapes and sizes of airplanes and am ready for something new. I am fascinated with multi-rotors and want to make the jump. Eventually I'd like to use multi-rotors to fly FPV but for now I just need help with deciding where to start. I have it narrowed down to either a tri or quad and I am planning on starting with a FT multi-rotor kit. What do you suggest for stability and ease of learning? Thanks for your time, Dave

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
Hey Dave, Welcome to the forum!

Quads are easier than tris -- fewer moving parts, less to break, simpler layout, easier to tune and a tighter feel of control.

Tri's do feel different in the air, and some people prefer it . . . I'd still lean you toward a quad for a first build.

Any heli experience?

Dizzy D

Dan, Chris, thank you for the welcome.
I have been leaning toward a quad as well. I have a little heli experience, funny story, I earned my nick name "Dizzy D" because on 2 different occasions while hovering my Blade 400 I had tail rotor failures which obviously resulted in the heli spinning out of control until it met back up with the ground:rolleyes: That was enough to scare my away from heli's. However I have logged at least 10 hours of flying standard heli's on my sim and have owned a few coaxial heli's over the years.

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
Then you should have a slight leg up on flying -- as you know orientation ain't quite the same as fixed wing, so you've started up that learning curve. A well tuned, autoleveling quad should feel quite a bit like a stable coaxial heli. A poorly tuned one . . . well . . . they can be interesting.

Feel free to ask a few questions you can't find good answers to out in the multirotor beginner's section -- there's bound to be others who have the same questions. When you've got some ideas laid out on what you want to build, go ahead and start a build thread. There's plenty of guys here who are willing to lend a hand getting your rotored abomination into the air, and help you get the stick time you need to keep it there :)

Dizzy D

Thank you so much Dan, I feel much more confident starting this build knowing I have somewhere to go for help.

jipp

Thank you so much Dan, I feel much more confident starting this build knowing I have somewhere to go for help.

if it was not for this forum i would not of got to where i am in my ZMR 250 project.

so yeah, plenty of help. it has been a learning experience for me since im new to everything RC.. you will have the advantage of knowing the basics which i just did not know and had to ask for help.. like how to bind my RX to the TX.. no clue you had to use a switch on the TX. hhe, but its been rewarding. im ready to try to maiden my air frame now.. waiting for the wind to die down.. and we will see what happens.

good luck.

chris.