For my first tricopter I was thinking of going with the KK2.1 board, but I really want the benefits of a GPS enabled controller. I stumbled across the Multiwii Pro 2.0 from ready to fly quads and it looks great. For only 60 bucks it comes with GPS. They also say it is ready to fly out of the box. Unfortunately I have no knowledge about the MultiWii boards. I have seen other articles about people running them with Wii controllers (I assume this is the original purpose and where it got its name from) and was confused to whether it works with a normal TX (I have the 9x). Also are the gyros a part of the board or do you need to buy them also? I know that these are probably dumb questions but being my first board, I have no idea. I want to know for sure before I buy. Also I plan to eventually do some filming with it so it needs to be pretty stable.

Last edited:

cranialrectosis

Faster than a speeding face plant!
Mentor
I own a MultiWii pro (not the one from RTFQ) and 3 KK2.0 boards.

The RTFQ boards take the flashing and Arduino learning curves out so they are a better board than the MultiWii pro from HK.

However, the MulitWii Pro will add two additional variables to your build and tuning.

You will need a device with which to program your board such as a computer, laptop tablet or if you enable BlueTooth a smart phone. This is needed for a MultiWii to set PID, on board expos, set magnetic north, calibrate sensors, etc...

If your device is not mobile, modding PID takes time.

Also, you will need to accomodate the USB port on the side of the MultiWii in your build. If you use a FT frame where the board sets in the frame for protection, you may have to mod the frame or move your board to be able to connect to the board with the USB connector. You MUST accomodate that USB connector in your build or you cannot program the board without BlueTooth.

The KK2, has no GPS. It has no return to home or programmable trips. It just flies the copter. If you don't pay attention while you are flying you will crash even in autolevel mode.

It also doesn't have any parts that hang off the side or connect to it from any other angle than from the top. With the KK2.1 you tune the copter in the field and need no other device.

If this is your first multi-rotor build (not just your first tri-copter), I recommend you keep it simple, and light. The KK2.1 is far simpler to work with.

If you are a seasoned flyer and have no trouble adding Blue Tooth or have a ready laptop or tablet and have no issues with accomodating the MultiWii, buy the cover RTFQ sells to cover the board and the sensors and get a GPS module stand for your copter.

I also use a Turnigy 9x and have no issues and the gyros and accelerometors and the barometer (which you need to cover) are integrated into the board. Welcome to MultiWii land.

Last edited:
I have an iPhone and it looks like the bluetooth will only work with Android. Guess I will have to use my laptop. Should I upgrade it to get the compass or not? What does the compass offer?

FinalGlideAus

terrorizing squirrels
I can't comment on the Multiwii but can recommend the KK2.1. I can only suggest a similar type of thing to your tricopter question. Keep it simple and keep it light. GPS and so forth adds complexity that you really don't need at a learning stage. Possibly the Multiwii is a great second FLight Controller to buy once you master your tricopter but those that use it can comment more.

The KK2.1 is very easy to use and after flashing with a new firmware flies very well straight out of the box. The other advantage of the KK2.1 is there are heaps of people who use it so fixing a problem should be rather simple.

jhitesma

Some guy in the desert
Mentor
I went multiwii the hard way for my first real quad I was going to go KK but they were chronically out of stock at the time and after reading up on MW I realized I had all the parts I needed just laying around to build my own flight controller.

The name actually comes from the fact that it originally used the sensors out of the Wii Motion Plus and Wii Nunchuck not because wii controllers were used to control the multis powered by it.

I run android and love the app for configuring my quad over bluetooth. I have my bluetooth module hooked to my openLRS TX module and the serial connection on my MW board connected to my openLRS RX so I can configure it from any distance. (which is nice since the app also has waypoint settings for the soon to be released navigation capable version of MW.) There IS an iOS app as well but I have no experience with it since I don't do iOS: http://www.multiwii.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=3584&hilit=ios

Honestly I found the MW to be fairly easy to configure and get flying even rolling my own. But that may just be me :D Even the KK board you'll end up flashing before it flys well from what I hear and that requires a USBASP for flashing while the MW Pro has USB built in so reflashing is in some ways easier (you'd still need to get arduino setup but I already had that.)

I do suggest starting simple and light though and only adding the GPS once you've got it dialed in and flying great without. I have GPS on mine and it's nice...but I really don't use it too much right now. I am looking forward to playing with the nav code - but haven't been able to bring myself to loading the beta version since my quad is flying so well as it is :D

cranialrectosis

Faster than a speeding face plant!
Mentor
The compass is irrelevant until you have learned to fly.

GPS is irrelevant until you have learned to fly.

If this is your first copter and if you don't yet know how to fly, build the simplest, toughest copter you can and use it to learn to fly. Learning to fly has a steep learning curve all its own as does learning to build.

GPS, cameras, flight plans, FPV, Hexacopters, Octocopers, all add complexities that will steepen and lengthen your learning curves. This does not mean you have no chance to succeed, but it will cost you time, money and will require more patience.

If this is your first copter, keep it simple. Learn to build and fly first.

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
My first multi was a hex built on a Flamewheel clone from Hobbyking. Almost 2 kilos ready to fly (battery on board) and any crash meant breakage and repairs, usually only props in minor crashes but if it was hard enough, frame parts as well.
Best thing to do is go light! I have a nano QX that I fly in the house and it's been crashed more times than I can count. I've let people that have never flown give it a go. Why? Because it's so light, even if they crash it, there's no problem. It's so light, nothing breaks. The lighter the copter, the less inertia it has when you attempt to mechanically bond it to the Earth, and therefore, less breakage.

As far as the boards go, the KK2 is much easier to get set up and go fly with, The multiwii is more work in setup, but more rewarding as well. If you go with RTFQ, you will probably be fine to start off with the multiwii.