Musdangs first FTFC. Build-ruary 22

A little dilemma. I’m running a 6 4 apc prop on the goblin, but it hits the motor. This wasn’t a problem on my last goblin, as 6 3 hq props are thinner. I can get the nut on, but it’s a little crooked. Any thoughts? I think I’m just gonna have to buy a reverse prop. :( View attachment 218562
Post this on Scratchbuilding. There's got to be some sort of spacer that's safe to use. Or a nylon washer.

LitterBug

Techno Nut
A little dilemma. I’m running a 6 4 apc prop on the goblin, but it hits the motor. This wasn’t a problem on my last goblin, as 6 3 hq props are thinner. I can get the nut on, but it’s a little crooked. Any thoughts? I think I’m just gonna have to buy a reverse prop. :( View attachment 218562
Use a spare prop shaft adapter like the ones that came with that prop. That or a small stack of Aluminum washers. That is a puller prop. They also make it in a pusher where the prop is offset in the opposite direction.

Musdang

Not Quite Legendary
Use a spare prop shaft adapter like the ones that came with that prop. That or a small stack of Aluminum washers. That is a puller prop. They also make it in a pusher where the prop is offset in the opposite direction.
put a couple of washers or an extra prop spacer before it, and it'll do just fine
Ok thanks! That’s kinda what I was thinking. I know they make reverse props, but my hobby shop didn’t have any.

Musdang

Not Quite Legendary
Ok I think it worked! Thank you to @LitterBug and @FlyerInStyle!
image.jpg

Musdang

Not Quite Legendary
FT Simple Stick Scratch Build!
I wanted to build this the second I joined the FTCA in December. I started making the plans on January 31 and technically starting “ building” on the 1st.

I made the wing first. It’s my first symmetrical airfoil wing so it was a little bit harder but manageable. Unless your me of course. When I was glueing the bottom airfoil, I didn’t put enough pressure in the middle so the wing was SUPER wacky. So i re cut the wing, but started building the fuse first.

For some reason, the doublers were a little jagged, (Probably because I hadn’t changed my blade in awhile) but useable.
Then I glued the puh rod guides in. But wait! Here come a classic Musdang mistake. My push rods are too short! I was gutted. The soonest I could get longer ones was 3 days. Luckily the next day, i went to my dads barn to help him replace the brakes on his car. I just happened to look up and notice a roll of pushrod-like wire. He let me have the whole roll! It was perfect! (Foreshadowing…..) He also let me have his old z blenders. So i got the new push rods in but noticed that they where just a wee bit thicker than ft push rods. I thought it would be fine. I glued the top of the fuse on (that i had to recut 3 times!), and it all looked fine and dandy.

I glued on the tail feathers like normal. (Another small mistake I noticed was that I forgot to cut the control horn slot) Ok, Prepare yourselfs. Yet ANOTHER Musdang mistake! Can you believe it?!?
I forgot to check how much the push rods could move before i glued the top on. Turns out there’s too much friction on the push rods going through the guides because they can’t bend as good as the ft ones. (The guides aren’t straight. There’s a little angle in them)

So that’s my build so far. I know right, I’m crazy! Supposedly my longer push rods come tomorrow. I think I’m just going to put the servos in the back, (I think @The Hangar s stick is the same way) because I don’t feel like fiddling trying to the get new push rods in the guides with no access to them.

I’ll edit this post later when or if I make any more progress. For now, I’m making post #3 that will be edited once i finish cutting the parts out!

EDIT #2:
I got my pictures to work! (My email was sending itself the wrong file type) I just glued in the servos in the back.
View attachment 217960
It may look a little ugly, but I mean the whole plane probably will. (Well the original model was technically called the ugly stick) lol
Next is the power pod!

EDIT #3:

Power pod and landing gear wire done! View attachment 217967
So I made another mistake. I do have 10-4.5 props for the 2218, but decided to get more. I forgot that the c pack motor calls for 10” so I got a 9”. It was just ingrained in my head because I’ve bought at least 7 of them. So now I have 2x 10x4.5 and 2x 9x4.5. Will a 9” work? And if so, which one should I use on the maiden?

FlyerInStyle

Elite member
So I made another mistake. I do have 10-4.5 props for the 2218, but decided to get more. I forgot that the c pack motor calls for 10” so I got a 9”. It was just ingrained in my head because I’ve bought at least 7 of them. So now I have 2x 10x4.5 and 2x 9x4.5. Will a 9” work? And if so, which one should I use on the maiden?
on 4s, use a 9". on 3s a 10" would work fine